Private or Business

I have been assured by eBay today that it is quite acceptable for a seller who has sold 60 indentical items to be selling as a "Private" seller with "No Returns Accepted".

Their other items mainly cheap creams etc. are being sold in similar quantities but eBay have said "they may have sold a retail business and this is stock left over" and "if sales are less than £20,000" thay can describe themselves as a private seller anyway.

Message 1 of 8
See Most Recent
7 REPLIES 7

Private or Business

lol, that is a farcical reply from support.  They really haven't got a clue as to what is actually legal.

But the second line basically says it all.  They have to hit 20k before they will pay any attention to them.

Message 2 of 8
See Most Recent

Private or Business

plpmr
Experienced Mentor

What you are describing is a business seller and if they are on a private account they are trading in violation of eBay rules and the law.

Message 3 of 8
See Most Recent

Private or Business

The £20k thing, wonder where that came from?

What about the seller a few of us spotted selling the GSP returns who had sold over £20k worth of items within a period of 90 days, still a private seller.

Message 4 of 8
See Most Recent

Private or Business

Who knows.  Amazon do a check at £15k, so it may just be an arbitary number, where it becomes worth checking them.

Message 5 of 8
See Most Recent

Private or Business

The £20k figure is just made up by the customer service agent, I have a few accounts who sell sneakers and if we are saying the average cost is £75 (its more) that means they can only sell 22 a month before eBay would check on them, one has sold 25 already this month and we are 11 days in. Its almost like customer service agents dont have a clue about anything even slightly technical or legal and they just make stuff up.

Message 6 of 8
See Most Recent

Private or Business

oh dont get me started - Im just (insert expletive) off with Ebay on this topic.  Not only are they getting "free" or discounted fees, they dont have to adhere to DSRs and then they wonder why Ebay is now becoming a "free for all" - Rude buyers and sellers and with no professionalism - Ill stop before I 😤

Message 7 of 8
See Most Recent

Private or Business

Sir/Madam

I like your wording, never truer words said. 

Message 8 of 8
See Most Recent
Got business selling related questions? Start here: