Offsite AdsBETA

Anyone else had the email about this?

So we now have to pay separate fees to have our items shown on Google promoted search results.

My promoted, normal promoted listings that is, items have always been shown on Google shopping sponsored positions (not redbrain etc) as part and parcel of those fees. But now that seems to be no longer the case and we have to pay for this separately.

A third type of sponsored ads, rather than trying to create new means of generating revenue, can Ebay focus on the bread and butter of its business please?!

Message 1 of 31
See Most Recent
30 REPLIES 30

Re: Offsite AdsBETA

@ojewellery wrote:

@goingfishinguk   I'm sure that you're expressing some sort of frustration in your comments but I don't understand quite what.  I'm slightly uncomfortable by it.  Posting my findings/ adding my personal experience on the forums is never intended to offend.  It is intended to challenge, because its business.  I find constructive challenge has helped my business grow and evolve.  I get in ruts (I'm in an eBay rut at present) but I am rather Pollyannaish.  No point dwelling, dust off, move on.  The forums help with letting off steam and finding new glimmers of hope to try.

None of my comments ever intend to offend, however they will always be the truth so if that does offend, I’m sorry the problem is the reader’s not the writer. As for being ‘Pollyannaish’ that is fantastic and I wish I could be more of that however I prefer to be labelled, which I do not like, more of a ‘realist.’ I take my experience and sprinkle in my expectations and then come up with the 'answer.’ My reply to you was how is it put ‘For Balance.’ Remember you can’t have balance unless you have equal on both sides by definition.
So now the boring bit. A wee story. Many years ago, well not that many about 5 or 6 I decided there was a gap in the market for a particular piece of fishing tackle that I used but was manly hand made. None of the top brands had decided to bring out their version and I was not happy with the quality of the ones I was using so I decided to invest in a little wire forming tool that could only be bought in the USA. At the time it seemed a huge risk this little device was about £140. I tweaked the design of the product a few times, trial and error etc and eventually got to where I wanted to be with it. I went fishing a few times and got asked by ‘nosey’ anglers what I was using and why. I was happy to share and was told a few times I should sell them on eBay. So, I did and to my surprise I could not make them fast enough. Using this money, I decided to make other items like fishing weights and clips.
All this time I was holding down a full time job so basically all the money the ‘business’ made went back into the business or allowed me to extend my personal fishing tackle hoard – you can never have enough haha. My good lady saw how well I was doing (no promoted listings of any kind at this point) and suggested I went more official, proper company name, contact wholesalers for products and do it more full time. My first Limited Company was born. As I’ve mentioned on here before it went from strength to strength as I could plough all the profit back in hence it grew quite fast. I now started to use promoted listings at just 1.2%. This was forced up in the near future to 2%. I now had four or five of the big Fishing Brands on board and was growing out of my spare room ‘shop.’ The decision was made to go full bricks and mortar fishing shop. Wow I was so happy. This was my dream job and of course meant I got my tackle to use personally cheaper.. always a bonus. I kept growing and growing and soon was hitting an average of £600 in sales a day, all with just 2% PL. Dreamland. However, I had a very big decision to make and that was I had to quit my day job. I could not go and teach all day then spent at least four hours on an evening packing orders.
Now the last 12 months or so. This time last year or about September time I was averaging over £1000 a day. Again, just PL at 2%, ADDING new listings not sell similar and ending just ADDING new listings regularly. Then I noticed a steady and very disturbing pattern like decline and started to panic. I came here to find a solution and spent many hours trying to work out why this decline was happening to me. It was not a seasonal thing; it was not people were not spending it was (Terapeak) or seemed to be my account was being capped. eBay promised us they would protect us against INR cases. As the thread went on and on they admitted they FORGOT. Yes, that is right folks they FORGOT. My sales were basically dropping £50 a day week on week till just before Christmas my average daily sales had gone from £1000 a day down to £50. Why? (Was me giving eBay £90,000 a year not good enough?) Then, I stumbled across a post regarding service metrics. If you were in the ‘very high’ bracket you got a warning you were a threat to the community and your account was restricted, the policy said (not quoting it) that you would have extra time added to your delivery time as a consequence, nothing about restricting sales but to all that was involved the truth was your delivery dates stayed the same, but your sales restricted. Once eBay had fixed their monumental ball dropping sales picked up and I could see hope. According to my accountant I lost over £35k in sales during this period.
Desperate for answers and to be honest the truth I sent a very long snail mail letter to head office. I was very surprised that a few days later I received a phone call from the executive office of eBay.. woo aren’t I special. (We had a few phones calls and emails exchanged) They of course brushed aside my claims but did offer me six months free shop as a good will gesture. When putting my claims across I could tell they were not happy with my threats of legal action. I was told, and again not quoting that if I did that my selling would be restricted so I could not afford such action and was told if I did what I threatened and that was to email eBay’s executive office every time I had a complaint about tracking numbers (my other complaint) that I’d be banned from eBay full stop.
Things slowly improved and I was nearly back to the £1000 a day mark when again in Feb the same happened although this time my service metrics were fine but the affect the same. I stubbled across a post by SKB who suggested (again not quoting) that ‘you’ should try the new version of promoted listings, these were the pay per click. Funnily enough after losing approx another £10 to £15k in sales they started to go back up. Pay to play brothers and sisters!!!
July came and wham, again sales on the downward spiral, this time no apparent new feature to try and all along doing the usual hoop jumping which never seems to work. It turns out that we were part of some impressions test which crippled our sales, again eBay’s fault no compensation. This actually finished my business off, crippled with low sales and mounting debt. I was advised to just open another account which I did and on what little I had left I crept along. Again, got to about £400 a day sales but now back to about £50 to £80 a day, completely capped, last three days IDENTICAL amounts and IDENTICAL number of sales – no market forces can do that. The search has been proven to be butchered, more and more Promoted Listing schemes have come out and I actually think eBay thinks it’s okay to give them over 50% of each and every sale. I wonder what the shareholders would say if I asked them for 60% of their dividends.
So sorry if I offend but I’ve lost one business nearly two, £380,000 in sales, had three full on nervous breakdowns and at near retirement age riddled in debt and having to go back to my old career when really I should be travelling around in my new(ish) camper van with the missus. Well, that was the plan. So sorry as a ‘realist’ eBay only care about themselves and their shareholders, they care about the dividends and they do not care how they get that or how much misery they cause in doing so. They are heading for a large failure that is for sure and I really hope I’m around to see it however again they won’t care the CEO will get a massive fat cheque and move onto another company, the shareholders will probably not even notice they have lost a million odd here and there. All greed and it should be stopped, maybe one day probably not soon enough for me. So, apologies for being a realist.

Message 21 of 31
See Most Recent

You are right I tried AI on an item I have had for 3 years and also sent the listing to my FB shop page with another AI description for the page. I had no faith in this working. Got up the next morning and 1 of them had sold coincidence or not but it worked so working on changing other listings to AI.

I know a lot don't like the flowery description but for me it did a great description of a simple winter scarf things that I would not have bothered to say.

I got a tip from a USA seller the brand name has to be added in the brand box if not AI can drop your listing if no brand name in the box.  According to this chappie.

Maureen

SimplyC Accessories
Message 22 of 31
See Most Recent

Send offer, promoted listings and offsite ads.

All this costs more which means I have to increase my prices to make a profit.

But an increase in price loses me sales.

Message 23 of 31
See Most Recent

@nigel_paul_wright7557 wrote:

Send offer, promoted listings and offsite ads.

All this costs more which means I have to increase my prices to make a profit.

But an increase in price loses me sales.

Hence online shopping will start to decline.  The prices of items are been driven up with this near constant obsession with '1st page Google' 'Promoted X, Y or Z'  It truely amazes me that the top board members of eBay etc think it's okay to take 50% to 65% of a sale.  Like I said before I bet they would not like it if I asked for 50% of their twice yearly dividends.

I used to buy a product for £2.49 from the wholesaler plus VAT means it was £2.99.  Sold 100s of this item around the £5.20 mark a couple of years ago.  I'm sure if I did the same now I'd be making a loss. 

£5.20 - £2.99 cost of item = £2.21

£2.21 - £1.55 postage = 66p

66p - 19% FVF = -32p

-32p - 8p jiffy bag = -40p

-40p - % Ad fee = OMG

There is no way I could be competative anymore with real shops.  I know this product was nearly a  loss leader and that makes it's a poor example but it kind of illustrates how greedy the online platforms have become and I'm actually wondering if Google is wagging the tail or eBay wagging Google's...

Message 24 of 31
See Most Recent

I have had a *bleep*py experience with the offsite ads....

1. I set up a promotion to take advantage of the BETA  offer.

2. Wanted to cancel it as I realised that the £5 /day  min budget would take me over the £100 free offer if used up this daily budget - I'm sure this is why they set a £5 min - evil sneaky ebay.

3. I thought I had cancelled the promotion but just disvoevred it has been running for all december!  I have no proof that I tried to cancel it... I am fearful I will be charged now.

4.  In a panic, I deleted the promotion in the offsite ad dashboard - now i've lost all record of it ever existing, and I cannot view my offsite dashboard since i now get redirect to the "create an offite ad" page when i try to view it

All in all, it's terrible.   I'm sick of ebay focusing more and more on making their money from advertising - their fees are large enough without paying them even more.

Message 25 of 31
See Most Recent

On the seller hub  overview page it should show you all your promotions and how much you have used.

If it's anything like my experience you wont have used up the free offer. After 6 days I've 'spent' 62p. 

Message 26 of 31
See Most Recent

For those who are using Offsite Ads, just do some google searching of your items or niche and you'd be surprised how many sponsored shopping results come up on Google for your Ebay items. 

These are NOT Ebays ads, they are via third party affiliates such as Redbrain, Shopping, Priclist so effectively if your items are coming up on Google in this way via the affiliates there is zero requirement to even consider using their Offsite Ads as these affiliates are paying for the ads anyway!

Message 27 of 31
See Most Recent

If it's not worth eBay promoting goods on google, then it's not worth us paying for the ads.

They would have crunched the numbers and come to the conclusion that google ads are a waste of money so pulled them. 

I'd rather pay for google ads for my own store, but I know for certain that doesn't pay! Why would I then pay to promote another comapny who's going to taoe 22.5% of my gross sales? Bonkers!

(the 22.5% was calculates from this months sales and fees)

Message 28 of 31
See Most Recent

Hello,
I've noticed a number of sellers (not on ebay) paying a monthly fee to ProductHero to advertise their business on the front of Googles Ad page.  I understand it is a monthly fee and it appears to be a lower cost than Googles Ads current offer of £400 plus £400 credit. 

Is it worth trying out as there appears to be the same small businesses advertising on Google's first page, receiving the exposure and my business is way down the list.  How can we be noticed on Google and the other search engines and how can we ebay sellers compete with ProductHero and Google Ads......

I'm with Shopify for my own website and it is becoming so frustrating as I'm new to the world of advertising and it is changing all the time.

Any advice please.

Karmen

Message 29 of 31
See Most Recent

"my business is way down the list"

Yet you are registered as a private seller ?.

See :- https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/policies/selling-policies/business-seller-policy?id=4710

Message 30 of 31
See Most Recent

Thank you for the advice. I'm a registered business with HMRC and also have a physical business premises.  I will read the help polices.

I opened the ebay account for purchasing goods, and will change it to the business shop account.

Thank you.

Message 31 of 31
See Most Recent
Got business selling related questions? Start here: