Is eBay finished for clothing sellers?!

So I've been selling on eBay for several years now and the last 8 weeks have been dreadful. Utterly dreadful. 
I am used to doing 4-5K a month in sales and for December I took less than £2000... this month so far I've done £71..... 

In many years I've never had weekly payouts under £500.

i haven't had a weekly payout of more than £500 in 7 weeks. This weeks is looking to struggle to get to £100.

i don't think that with 500+ items and thousands in stock I can afford to pay to use eBay anymore. After the addtional fees and shop cost I'm better off closing and selling on a private account ......

I sell purely clothing and it seems like nobody is buying clothes from eBay anymore, I recently set up a Vinted page and I'm selling more on there than eBay with only 10-15% of my stuff listed on there.....

would like to hear from any other clothing sellers as to how they are doing; whether good or bad. 

Message 1 of 25
See Most Recent
24 REPLIES 24

Re: Is eBay finished for clothing sellers?!

Oh I don't know, we are almost two weeks in now and I've seen sales increase, not decrease.

Message 21 of 25
See Most Recent

Vinted is flooded with charity shop 'bargains'.  If you're expecting an item as described  you have a 15% chance of getting what you expect.  You have a 40% chance of a usable item and the remaining 45% will mean you have to bin it or pay return postage (if the seller accepts the return).

If the listing shows a rather plump lady wearing occasion apparel, then it's probably a genuine seller.  Albeit the garment has stretched seams because MOB or MOG has squeezed her size 18 frame into a size 14 dress because she got it cheap.  Same thing goes for the shoes and matching bag - lovely, as new, uppers, but no image of the heels because they've got more craters than a volcano.

Want to buy designer, then just head on over to Trustpilot and read the reviews.  Bypass the five stars as they've got people sitting up all night making up the one-liners.  Currently sitting at 3.4 the all nighters are having to work overtime to get it back up to 3.5

How on earth Vinted has gotten where it is is beyond me.   There is no 'buyer protection', just a fee that goes straight into the Directors' pockets.

There is no guarantee that what you buy is what you get.  And if it's not, then you can, hopefully, pay return postage and get your money back.

Never thought in the current climate I would end up defending eBay, but I have to concede that it's 30 day money back guarantee should tip the scales in their favour.

Message 22 of 25
See Most Recent

I have the opposite experience. I bought several items on Vinted and so far I got only one item that was not as good as I expected, but not bad either. That's probably just one of the reasons it got where it is. I got far worse on eBay and often overpriced. Vinted is also fairer for sellers, hence why people are moving there. The end of fees for private sellers is a desperate move to avoid losing even more sellers and buyers (not that they have any other alternative anyway), but I don't think it will have a great impact. EBay's private sellers often sell on Vinted as well, however, Vinted sellers have no benefit to listing on eBay: time-consuming, low visibility and unfair.

I truly hope your views of the world (and business, in general), are larger than this: If the listing shows a rather plump lady wearing occasion apparel, then it's probably a genuine seller.  Albeit the garment has stretched seams because MOB or MOG has squeezed her size 18 frame into a size 14 dress because she got it cheap. 

Message 23 of 25
See Most Recent

Competition on ebay is very stiff.

I found you need to sell rarer items where there is less competition and you can mark up prices.

Message 24 of 25
See Most Recent

I realise this is an old thread, but I have items I listed several months ago and according to eBay I have had zero views which I think is odd.

Also I had a Next jacket listed with around 18 views, but the next day this view count was zero.  Do not understand this unless eBay just wants people to pay to promote each item and the views are all incorrect. 

Message 25 of 25
See Most Recent
Got business selling related questions? Start here: