I saved for later but later the AI guff reappeared

When writing a listing, I tried the AI version to see if it would help me but I produced an extensively rewritten version. I saved it for later and went away to eat. When I came back to the listing, my version had gone and the  awful, deadly AI was back. I could have listed two items in the time.

The AI can be helpful in the sense of showing where to put information and comments to give a listing a structure and flow and that is the positive but the actual texts are to me dire, unspeakable and could make readers howl with laughter for the wrong reasons: you can only read so many drooling, simpering, counterfactual, near identical offerings: eBay AI is the New Camp.

Message 1 of 6
See Most Recent
5 REPLIES 5

The AI option is a totally Marmite affair.

Some love it use it saying it shows the ' words' that buyers may use in searches so their items are seen in searches better.

Others hate it,  and thankfully being optional one can avoid it.

If your item has been listed with  some AI flowery description you do not like, your items currently have no bids with more than 12 hours to run,  so you can go back and revise your item's description if you wish.

@pillarboxred 

Message 2 of 6
See Most Recent

Seller assumes all responsibility for this listing.

I wonder just how water tight this ebay statement will be when the AI listings become wide spread?

Obviously ebay have little faith in its outcomes, but someone probably paid a LOT of dollars for something that has to be made to work, at you know whos expense of course.

Ive got a guy who i warned that what i bought from him was not what AI had listed. Being a fellow seller i was sympathetic to him and didnt raise a return, as he said he would view his listings and make corrections. I feel the scope of his problems were more than he imagined as he had over 1000 listings to check and amend. His listings still show the errors.

Message 3 of 6
See Most Recent

I'm beginning to see more AI descriptions in A.D. Glass now and wonder how many disappointed buyers will be starting Returns.

"The unmarked brand ensures this vase is truly unique."   From an ad. for a fairly common piece of mass produced pressed (moulded) glass.

"This hand crafted design.."   From another ad. for another mass produced piece of pressed glass.

"The vase features a stunning glowing green colour that will catch the eye of anyone who enters the room."  

Nowhere does the IS or description mention "Uranium Glass" or that it only glows under UV / Black light although there are some photos without UV light where it doesn't glow.

I took the above from page 1 of a very quick search of "Art Deco Glass Vase" which was by no means exhaustive, so AI seems to be catching-on.  They're becoming more obvious as they all seem to have "Stunning" in the first sentence and are rather vague.  Generally they are a bit too flowery for my taste, the dubious or plainly wrong statements might be overlooked if the buyer knows what they're looking at.  But anyone who doesn't could easily be mislead into believing they were buying something they're not and very disappointed to find their vase is not 'unique', 'hand crafted' and doesn't glow in daylight or normal electric light.

I wouldn't like to be held responsible for those listings, or for the return costs of what were large and heavy vases.

Message 4 of 6
See Most Recent

The trouble is that the speed and ease of listing with AI means a seller can quickly dig an elephant trap he will fall into as a thousand listings will take a long time to correct. I think it would be better if eBay just gave us suggestions to structure listings like:

Put you headline here stating what you are selling

Say  nice things about it here 

Describe any faults here

Give measurements here
Explain how easy refunds and returns are here

Round off with a snappy line here.

and so on.

I do feel that the AI is useful to an extent as a prompt  although it needs to be entirely rewritten in your own words in order to sound fresh and sincere.

Message 5 of 6
See Most Recent

Thanks for your welcomed thoughts.

I think it would be better if eBay just gave us suggestions to structure listings like:

Put you headline here stating what you are selling

Say  nice things about it here 

Describe any faults here

Give measurements here

You mean like any sensible seller would include in a description, as we used to script in the past ?

Explain how easy refunds and returns are here

No def not, those are automated process' outside a sellers control - i much prefer the buyer contact myself, and we can figure a solution between ourselves - might not work for everyone's business, but very agreeable for me.

I do feel that the AI is useful to an extent as a prompt  although it needs to be entirely rewritten in your own words in order to sound fresh and sincere.

Doesnt that make it pointless then?

Message 6 of 6
See Most Recent