Ebay fee on customers import tax

I just learned that Ebay has been charging me fees on my buyer's import tax.  Is this correct or even legal?

I know Ebay adds VAT to a European buyer's invoice, usually 20% but why is the tax even mentioned in my fee breakdown for anything I sell to Europe?  I already pay a 1.05% international fee.

I sold an item for £44 but Ebay based my fees on the £44 final price plus £10 postage and £11.88 VAT paid by the seller.  IE Item price £44, Postage and packing £10, Import taxes £11.88  = £65.88 resulting in me paying £9.29 in Ebay fees.  

Any help here would be greatly appreciated. Customer services are telling me the fee is correct.

Message 1 of 9
See Most Recent
8 REPLIES 8

plpmr
Experienced Mentor

"Is this correct or even legal?"

The simple basic answer is - You signed up to eBay's T&C.

Message 2 of 9
See Most Recent

@poireau1000 wrote:

I just learned that Ebay has been charging me fees on my buyer's import tax. 

It's mentioned on the fees page:

"The final value fee is calculated as a variable percentage of the total amount of the sale (which includes the item price, postage, and any applicable taxes), plus a fixed charge of 30p per order."

@poireau1000 wrote:

Is this correct or even legal?

Yep, correct as per the above and perfectly legal. Yes, it is cheeky that part of a seller's final value fee is charged on a tax that eBay is obliged to charge and remit but there you go.

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Message 3 of 9
See Most Recent

And also the same with the new stealth fee ROF...... (unless of course you sell clothes as a private seller)

My business was a finalist in the ebay business awards 2023.
Message 4 of 9
See Most Recent

I have no choice with eBay's T&C.  Agree or don't sell.

Message 5 of 9
See Most Recent

Isn't it just Feebay at its very sneakiest.

Message 6 of 9
See Most Recent

It is correct.  You will also pay fees on any sales tax paid by US customers.

Message 7 of 9
See Most Recent

Also for anyone reading this .

If the buyer is registered aboard but has a UK mailing address you`ll be charged an extra fee by Ebay and there is no way to block them.

Message 8 of 9
See Most Recent

@poireau1000 wrote:

Isn't it just Feebay at its very sneakiest.

Final value fees are based on the total the buyer pays,  not the total the buyer pays the seller.

Seeing as how the fee also has to cover the costs of processing the payment, that is in line with what PayPal charged when they processed the payments. 

Message 9 of 9
See Most Recent