Downgrade account to personal - ACTION NEEDED

I've been trying for over 1 year to downgrade my account from Business to Personal.

I've contacted ebay multiple times, but they say this is not possible.

Sometimes I dont even sell 1 item a month, so there is no reason for me to have a business account.

If you make it so easy to upgrade to business account, then you should give users the option to go back. This is so DISAPPOINTING and DECEIVING. 

I've been on ebay for 10 years. I don't want to create a new account.

Can we get some help from ebay please?

Is it possible to vote for this feature, so action is taken?

style_icon_london_0-1645267142418.png

Message 1 of 56
See Most Recent
55 REPLIES 55

You cannot downgrade to a personal account from a business account

Just open a new account if you want a private seller account 

However, if you buy or make items to sell then LEGALLY you are a business and must have a business seller account

Private selling accounts are only for selling off your own unwanted possessions

Not for selling multiples of the same new item

Business status is a legal status, not just something  you can ditch as it doesn't suit you or because the sales your business makes is low. Being a business has nothing to do with sales volume, you can sell only one item per year and still be a business if you bought or made the item to sell.

Buying items to sell makes you a business in law, so you should not downgrade if you are trading by law. 

Message 2 of 56
See Most Recent

Yes, I am aware of that. I posted the above because I keep seeing so many ebay sellers requesting the same feature.

Ebay needs to take ACTION and listen to seller's feedback. 

Message 3 of 56
See Most Recent

why did you upgrade to a business account in the first place?

ebay used to downgrade accounts if the seller could prove they were no longer trading

they stopped doing this a few years ago, probably because too many sellers downgraded and continued to trade on the private account

you agreed to abide by ebays decisions when you signed up to use ebay

if you want to sell as a private individual you will have to open a new private account

you can continue to use the business account to purchase items

Message 4 of 56
See Most Recent

OK so ebay say its not possible. 

And you still want to do it. 

Open a new personal account and simply stop using the business account for personal sales. 

The whole moon and the entire sky are reflected in one dewdrop on the grass.
Dogen
Message 5 of 56
See Most Recent

I upgraded because I thought I would be selling as a business but never did that.

I have only been selling my personal items from my home.

That's why I want to go back to a personal account.

Message 6 of 56
See Most Recent

@the_london_store wrote:

I upgraded because I thought I would be selling as a business but never did that.

I have only been selling my personal items from my home.

That's why I want to go back to a personal account.

So open a personal account.

Ebay don't allow you to go back. They do allow you to have more than one account. 

Dogen
Message 7 of 56
See Most Recent

There is no option to downgrade once you have upgraded

As eBay told you, the only option is to open a new account 

They will not downgrade your account, they wrote you a message telling you exactly that, so not sure why you think you can change this?

Message 8 of 56
See Most Recent

@the_london_store wrote:

Yes, I am aware of that. I posted the above because I keep seeing so many ebay sellers requesting the same feature.

Ebay needs to take ACTION and listen to seller's feedback. 

Yes , I remember a few last year who wanted to revert to a private sellers account .

I also remember that a couple of them were clearly high level traders who wanted to get back to having the free listing allowance that ebay foolishly gives to private sellers .

Maybe ebay should take ACTION and clamp down on these fake private sellers .

Message 9 of 56
See Most Recent

I am in the exact same situation eBay is a cheat they know exactly what there doing they do have the power to downgrade and even if the system doesn't allow it then they can change the rules & regulations. This is totally unacceptable if its easy to upgrade than it should be easy to downgrade. I have come to know eBay does not really care about us..if they really care they would genuinely help. I'm upset that all my feedback I have built up will be lost if I create new account and why should I. Last one month half a dozen eBay representatives have misinformed  me and many times they contradict each other and I don't believe anything they say. I call eBay twice a week and everytime they do say someone will call back but not once has anyone called it's always me chasing them to resolve my issue. 

Message 10 of 56
See Most Recent

@eastlnd wrote:

.... I'm upset that all my feedback I have built up will be lost if I create new account.....

Put in perspective, you've received 102 feedbacks as a seller and 299 as a buyer.

Condragulations, you are the winner of this week's challenge!
Message 11 of 56
See Most Recent

Feedback is not important as a buyer so so I can't really see what the issue is opening another account?

To be honest I never check a sellers feedback when making a purchase, if it doesn't arrive etc. I get my money back!

Message 12 of 56
See Most Recent

@eastlnd wrote:

I am in the exact same situation eBay is a cheat they know exactly what there doing they do have the power to downgrade and even if the system doesn't allow it then they can change the rules & regulations. This is totally unacceptable if its easy to upgrade than it should be easy to downgrade. I have come to know eBay does not really care about us..if they really care they would genuinely help. I'm upset that all my feedback I have built up will be lost if I create new account and why should I. Last one month half a dozen eBay representatives have misinformed  me and many times they contradict each other and I don't believe anything they say. I call eBay twice a week and everytime they do say someone will call back but not once has anyone called it's always me chasing them to resolve my issue. 

The board can change policies. 

For whatever reason they have not. Perhaps it's not a major issue. Perhaps there is no benefit for eBay in doing so.

It's very easy to set up a new account. A number of the business sellers have a personal account too - for those items that are not business.

So set up a new account. or do not set up a new account. They will not care and will not notice.

As for your why should I? 

If you want the service you have to take action. 

eBay apparently are not going to change things to suit you. Businesses usually do not change things to suit individuals.

Dogen
Message 13 of 56
See Most Recent

This is not the Point. For example.

I was selling some of my old comics off over a decade ago, and Ebay made me upgrade to a business account as I had gone over the threshold (not a very high threshold) for sales.

This was not my choice.

I barely use my ebay account for anything else than the occasional purschase now, yet i am charged 'other fees' every month for doing nothing.

You should be able to downgrade. full stop.

Message 14 of 56
See Most Recent

And lose years of positive feedback.

Message 15 of 56
See Most Recent

I'm having the exact issue. One click to become a business account but I do not sell enough to make it worthwhile. No option to downgrade - it's been 2 months of complaining weekly and still nothing...

Message 16 of 56
See Most Recent

@xamydickinsonx wrote:

I'm having the exact issue. One click to become a business account but I do not sell enough to make it worthwhile. No option to downgrade - it's been 2 months of complaining weekly and still nothing...

Its not 'selling enough to make it worthwhile'. Its a requirement.

You are either running a business or you are not. If you run a business using a business account you aren't evading ebay fees and you get to give 30 day returns. And ebay won't force you to change your account in the future.

Run a business using a personal account and you offer 12 month returns. Much better for the customer obviously. For the seller? Not so much. The returns can eat into a lot of profit. 

Or if not running a business at all just set up a new personal account. 

Dogen
Message 17 of 56
See Most Recent

@rebelchicken 

you only get charged fees if you list/sell an item

you sold an xbox game so you were charged fees

Message 18 of 56
See Most Recent

@xamydickinsonx wrote:
it's been 2 months of complaining weekly and still nothing...

That's because nothing will happen.

The rules are what they are, and no amount of complaining on here, or elsewhere, is going to change that.

If you want a private seller account - open one.

Over promise, then under deliver = negative buyer experience, INR cases, unhappy buyers and sellers.
Under promise, then over deliver = Positive buyer experience, joy and happiness all round. 
If only eBay could get their heads round this basic concept, this would be a happier place for all.
Message 19 of 56
See Most Recent

@rebelchicken wrote:

This is not the Point. For example.

I was selling some of my old comics off over a decade ago, and Ebay made me upgrade to a business account as I had gone over the threshold (not a very high threshold) for sales.

This was not my choice.

I barely use my ebay account for anything else than the occasional purschase now, yet i am charged 'other fees' every month for doing nothing.

You should be able to downgrade. full stop.

Strange that. You would think ebay would have a subscription or something agreed in order to charge fees every month.

By any chance £30 a month? Or some much smaller amount? 

Dogen
Message 20 of 56
See Most Recent
Got business selling related questions? Start here: