Changing courier - advice needed

Hello all

Long time loyal Royal Mail customer but the recent increases for small parcels its a price difference I can no longer ignore.

Looking at using courier 3/5 day and offer RM express services at extra cost to buyer.

I know there a few things please add to the list, additional things I should consider

1. UK not mainland - is not covvered as standard. what/how do you service these customers.

2. Elongated delivery times

Anything else,

Im not looking to use this platforms intergrated purchasing system.

With Post Office drop and go I love the way each days purchases are recordered by date  so if there are issues I just go to the date copy and paste the tracking, if you dont use this platforms shipping service who do you use

Thanks in advance

FBF

Message 1 of 9
See Most Recent
8 REPLIES 8

I would be very wary of using Packlink through eBay, espically if you use EVRI.

Packlink are a nightmare and as they as now based in Spain very difficult if you need to claim.

I went the other way and went back to Royal Mail as had so many problems with cheaper couriers that I used before.

PS Beaker Rocks !!!!

Message 2 of 9
See Most Recent

Roughly what quarterly volumes do you have as there are very different deals on accounts to buying as a one off.

Message 3 of 9
See Most Recent

300+ a quarter

Message 4 of 9
See Most Recent

You went back, thats interesting, 

My local PO is retiring and there 60p per small parcel difference, I didnt mond supporting my local PO for what ised to be 10P difference, copy and paste job done, but 60p per parcel adds up, RM have been pretty good over 20 years but £700 is £700 

Wont be buying on this platform, thinking of using parcel agents at the moment, need to look at buying direct form the couriers as well

Message 5 of 9
See Most Recent

We support our local PO to the extent of buying everything directly - cheaper to buy online for most and we have a decent volume over 2 businesses to warrant a business account, but the downside is too much.

Its a 9 mile round trip to the main post office, not far but there is parking to pay for, only £1, and fuel and car costs, £4 ish, £2 if you just count fuel, long queues all day, so an extra hour minimum per day.  Doesn't seem much of a difference until your multiply it by 250 or more!

We're tiny businesses but have been their best customer for years.  We make savings by buying as many stamps as we can afford, whenever we can afford them.    Still using stamps we bought before the last 3 price rises, saved more than we could have earned in a high interest account!

We had 4 post offices within 10 miles when I began selling on eBay, just the one now.  So it can make a difference, i suppose.

Message 6 of 9
See Most Recent

Explore opening a RM click and drop account. You get rates tailored to your volume. I send everything Tracked 48 and its a set price for any weight and size can be pretty large. You can send something up to 30kg now and its the same price as sending something thats 100g.

It also saves time, I remember waiting for ages in the post office in the past. Its great to support the post office but once you realise how much personal time you could save over the course of a year as well as financially its hugely beneficial.

Message 7 of 9
See Most Recent

Similar story

My 3rd local Post Office in 20 years is retiring this year, near 5 mile round trip but I try and put the steps in mosts days  6 will have closed in the last 10 years in a 3 mile radius, they are getting thin on the ground but think thats the PO (Gov) plan. My Post Mistress does so much for her community, she has customers with needs and she accomadates them and is so trusted, she wil be missed

My next local (convenience store) PO is only 1/3 mile away but on the 3 occassions I've used them Ive had 2 parcels go astray, yet with my regular branch sending four figuers a year, nothing, seems strange, reluctant to use and the over the counter price cant be ignored

Im acting on advice give hear

Thanks all

Message 8 of 9
See Most Recent

Most carriers will do a home collection, yes they charge for it and don't collect on the odd occassion.

But cost is wether its cheaper than making a 5 mile round trip or getting collected.

With royal mail they off collection on business account they are fairly expensive but volume sales required for you to be elligable.

Message 9 of 9
See Most Recent
Got business selling related questions? Start here: