Buyers choosing wrong reason for return so they don't have to pay.

Hi,

I've had it a few times where buyers have blatantly chosen the wrong reason for return so that they don't have to pay for the return. I have another now where they're not being so brazen (they bought the item and it's not suitable - but it clearly never would have been), but because they've already opened a return and chosen the reason am I stuck with having to pay for the label, even if I persuade them that they should be paying for the return? Do I have any options?

If I pay for this label, along with the inital postage I make a loss, for THEIR error.

When this has happened in the past, I've called eBay and they've said just go with it and persue a refund with eBay, which is always ignored and never refunded (sorry eBay but it's true).

Thx

Message 1 of 5
See Most Recent
4 REPLIES 4

"If I pay for this label, along with the inital postage I make a loss, for THEIR error."

Welcome to online selling 2024.

Savvy sellers would add a small amount to each item to cover any losses.

I.E.work it in to a yearly cost.

Message 2 of 5
See Most Recent

Yes, that's just E-bay life. You have to suck it up basically. If you have certain items or products where this often happens, try and think of solutions. i.e. we sell some items that are complicated and people often order the wrong ones. We always message them whenever we see an order to check, ask for pictures of their laptop, etc. This reduces incorrect purchases, which in turn reduces incorrect returns. 

Message 3 of 5
See Most Recent

A sale on ebay is covered by uk distance selling laws which gives buyers a lot of rights.

One of those is to return an item if they dont want it.

Having something in front of you is different to seeing pictures and a description.

Any terms and conditions you put on your listing are irrelevant.

Message 4 of 5
See Most Recent

Age old problem I'm afraid promoted by eBay 

if you were a buyer I guess you might do the same to avoid postage if you had no scruples 

on EBay the buyer is King  and buy to return is promoted  eBay are trying to make this the same as if you were buying from a large retailer but eBay sellers are mainly small retailers so it's unfair that it should work the same 

fortuantely there are mostly honest buyers out there  you just have to hope that returns are from the honest ones 

Message 5 of 5
See Most Recent
Got business selling related questions? Start here: