TSUNAMI - Please help The Maldives

timntri
Hi Everyone
I cannot think of anyone who has not been either personally affected through someone they know or just through the mind blowing impact of such a massive disaster.
With all that everyone has done and given already from all parts of the world it becomes obvious that we, as a race so often in conflict may even have some hope for a better future.

We are a small church in the South of England and have been astounded at how, even over the course of the Christmas and New Year Bank holiday period people have been able to pull out the stops to help.

This is an appeal for any items that you may have that you can spare from the following list of items. We have a container being filled at the moment and road and air transport for the load has been kindly donated. The relief load has been cleared with the Maldives High Commission for customs and fast distribution upon arrival and the container will be shipped out during the week of the the Jan 9th.

Clothes are not required as there has already been a mass of items donated. Neither are we asking for monetary donations. What is desperately needed are item of practical use.

1st Aid equipment, blankets, duvets, sheets and other bedding, towels, sewing equipment (needles, cotton, scissors, etc) tents, tarpaulins and other camping equipment, generators, gardening items (trowels, forks, spades etc)

Items do not need to be new but should be usable.

If you have any of the above items that you can spare, not matter how much or how little then please either respond here or email me direct at zelore@msn.com and I will contact you with further information.

May I take this opportunity to thank everyone for all they have done so far and for any help you feel you can give to this particular appeal

Tim Margetts
Message 1 of 187
See Most Recent
186 REPLIES 186

timntri
Hi There

Blue YHM
Granada, that is great, do yu have the latest poster, if not then email me and i will send it to you

Tim
Message 101 of 187
See Most Recent

granadacars
Tim can you mail me the latest poster.

Will it contain just food or all items?

Soon as I receive I'll go to Sainsbury's. I'll also do the collecting of items from there. Waiting to hear back from Asda Marina.
Message 102 of 187
See Most Recent

timntri
Granada, if you email me so i can grb your addy i wil send the latest poster. Working away from home at the mo so dont have access to my old emails with your addy on it.

Tim
Message 103 of 187
See Most Recent

timntri
Hi
Back at home so I have my PC back >strokes monitor lovingly 😉 <

Anyway, I hope everyone who asked for the poster now has it. If not, or you want one but havent asked then please drop me an email.

Yours
Tim
Message 104 of 187
See Most Recent

kar-atequeen
tim are you about pleas
Message 105 of 187
See Most Recent

timntri
have msged you karate

Tim
Message 106 of 187
See Most Recent

timntri
This is the most up to date list of everything we still need to source

Food - dried food, canned or tinned food (including tin openers) NO PORK, HAM OR BACON

First Aid and Medical aid

Hardware working gloves

Mosquito repellant

Family Boxes - Boxes to include items such as; scissors, sewing kits, tin openers, small packet of rice or noodles, first kit, water putifcation tablets, pens, pencils, notepads, santitory items, soap, toothpaste and toothbrushes, TCP, plasters, nailclippers, small child's toy, a torch, short wave radio, NO BATTERIES, NO AEROSOLS. Please email if you have any queries: sarah@friendsofmaldives.co.uk

Short Wave Radios

Sewing kits (No knitting materials)

Garden tools - wheel barrows, shovels, picks, hoes

Electrical tools - Please ensure they are in good working condition

Yours
Tim
Message 107 of 187
See Most Recent

timntri
Hi again

Does anybody have, or know someone who has, a medium sized caravan that could be lent to the FoM for a short period (prob around a month or 2). This would be put at the new warehouse facility in Southampton and provide some facilities for the volunteers working htere until the permanent ones are in place.

Update on the warehouse equipment appeal; see my post above
We now have enough desks, a filing cabinet, cupboard and bookcase and 4 fire extinguishers. We have been donated a monitor and had a printer promised to us. We still need the PC itself.
Also the scales requested, do not need to be as large (that was a brainfreeze by Nicola who is setting up the depot) we need scales that will weigh up to 50 kg

Many thanks
Tim
Message 108 of 187
See Most Recent

timntri
I have the offer of a PC for the office. Its in Derby tho, any chance of someone getting it to Manchester in time for the pick up by toothless on Weds. Then he can bring it down with him

Yours
Tim
Message 109 of 187
See Most Recent

*patsy
Message 110 of 187
See Most Recent

snakepeace
Hi, I'm in Brighton and I'm sure i can get a load of stuff 2gether, where shall i take it?
Summer
Message 111 of 187
See Most Recent

*sproggy*
I think if you its southampton the depot, but im sure tim will be along to confirm.
http://www.justgiving.com/midnightwalkoldham
Message 112 of 187
See Most Recent

timntri
Snake, from Btn they can go to the Lancing depot. Can you email me please

Yours
Tim
Message 113 of 187
See Most Recent

queen-hilda
Hi Tim, sorry i could not phone you yesterday about the childrens clothes but i took them around to the collection centre today and they were accepted so hopefully they will be some use.

i must say everyone looked very busy with a nice big red post lorry out the front being loaded with boxes. Hope whoever had the job of loading the boxes didn't get too wet in the rain:-)

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Message 114 of 187
See Most Recent

timntri
An update from the Maldives.
(Taken from our website : http://www.friendsofmaldives.co.uk/tsunamihome.html )

Latest Aid News from the Maldives
10 th Jan - The Tsunami has uncovered the foundation of an ancient Buddist structure in Iam Mundoo which was discovered by FOM Relief Team.

10 th Jan - FOM Relief Team on their way to Male will take 12 hours. Finished distribution of first shipment.

8th Jan - Just finished distribution of baby items to 75 children under 3yrs old and their mothers in Mabaidoo in Lam atoll.

8th Jan - Finished distributing to Kalaidoo in Lam atoll. Recipients were very impressed by the quality of the aid.

8th Jan - Finished distributing kitchenware to 320 people in Mundoo

Message 115 of 187
See Most Recent

mess*
Tim

I've just left you a phone message and my number - would you ring me tonight please - whatever time you can manage. Thanks 😄
Message 116 of 187
See Most Recent

granadacars
Another load from Asda - 3 trolley loads from the public donated will be on its way to Lancing tomorrow.
Message 117 of 187
See Most Recent

mess*
Wow - totally overwhelmed today

We had collections from 3 local schools and about 70/80 boxes going to Southampton tomorrow. Loads of family boxes, boxes of gloves, disinfectants, loads of medical items, foos, baby items and people giving whole medical boxes!

Everyone helping were near to tears at times with the fantastic generosity 😄

Message 118 of 187
See Most Recent

timntri
That is fantastic news. Extend my personal thanks to everyone who helped you sort and pack as well as to everyone who donated items

Tim
Message 119 of 187
See Most Recent

timntri
Hi everyone

The Lancing facilities for collection of donation’s for the Friends of Maldives Tsunami Aid will be closing shortly. Can we ask that, where ever possible you try and concentrate on the following items when collecting/donating to the appeal.
• Food - dried food, canned or tinned food (including tin openers) NO PORK, HAM OR BACON
• First Aid and Medical aid
• Hardware working gloves
• Mosquito repellent
• Family Boxes - Boxes to include items such as; scissors, sewing kits, tin openers, small packet of rice or noodles, first aid kit, water purification tablets, pens, pencils, notepads, sanitary items, soap, toothpaste and toothbrushes, TCP, plasters, nail clippers, small child's toy, a torch, short wave radio, NO BATTERIES, NO AEROSOLS.
• Short Wave Radios
• Sewing kits (No knitting materials)
• Garden tools - wheel barrows, shovels, picks, hoes
• Electrical tools - Please ensure they are in good working condition
We are still continuing to collect donations after our facilities in Lancing close, any further donations should then be taken to our main Southampton facility. Details can be found at http://www.friendsofmaldives.co.uk/aidinfo.html

Many Many Many thanks to everyone who has helped in any way to this work. We couldn't have doen it without you.

Tim
Message 120 of 187
See Most Recent