The last two years have been a roller coaster of ups and downs for businesses and individuals alike. Nation-wide lockdowns saw high-street stores shut up shop while workers were either forced to work from home or furloughed, with many others losing their jobs completely. 

Despite challenging conditions, British entrepreneurship thrived, and many people spotted an opportunity, with some turning their pre-pandemic hobbies into successful eBay businesses as a way to make some extra money. 

This is exactly what Anthony Tevola did. After losing his job as an accountant when Covid hit, he decided to sell his card collection on eBay — and so Premium Trading Cards UK was born. 

We sat down with Anthony to discuss how he launched Premium Trading Cards UK on eBay during the pandemic, and some of the tips and tricks he’s learnt when it comes to making money on the platform…

Had you already tried your hand at selling on eBay pre-pandemic

Yes, I actually did have a very small eBay business when I was 18 years old, repairing and selling consoles. But I then ended up going to university and prioritised my studies, which meant the business faded into the background. In the back of my mind, though, I always knew that eBay was a fantastic option to turn to if I ever needed to make some money.

After university I trained as an accountant for one and a half years, but sadly ended up losing my job in March 2020 when the pandemic hit. It was an extremely challenging time for me; I found it really hard to find a job and ended up doing some work as a labourer and also worked nights at a restaurant, once they opened again. 

I eventually turned to eBay to sell [some of my] card collection as a way of making some extra money, and the business snowballed from there!

Is your eBay business now your full time job, or a ‘side hustle’? 

It is indeed my full-time job. When I first started out, I did it part-time alongside my two other jobs, but after a few months I decided to go for it and focus solely on my eBay store. Looking back, I think living at home and having low daily expenses was a huge bonus and helped me to put all my time (and profit) into growing my business. 

Now, just over a year after launching Premium Trading Cards UK, I’m at the great stage where I can fully support myself from my eBay business!

What’s been the most rewarding aspect of running your eBay business?

For me, there’s nothing better than the positive feedback I receive from happy buyers after a successful sale; waking up to a positive message and new orders is a great way to start the day! 

Aside from that, however, being able to set your own hours is another huge benefit. It means that I can take a few hours off on a Monday morning each week to play tennis — something I would never have dreamed of asking my boss for when working in accounting.

What have been the biggest challenges you've faced when selling on eBay?

Honestly, I couldn’t pick just one thing; everything was a challenge when I first started out as it wasn’t something I had ever done before. That is, until I figured out a solution to the problem. 

It could be something as simple as buying a label printer to ship out purchases (what size, make, model do I go for?) or else a more complex puzzle like figuring out the best inventory system for my business and then implementing it. 

Ultimately, it’s a case of learning on the job and finding ways of making everything you do as simple and fast as possible. 

What resources or advice have you found helpful to running your eBay business?

In terms of resources there are a ton of guides on YouTube that I take advantage of. For example, I listen to a channel called Daily Refinement that has an amazing community of eBay sellers behind it and is packed with hacks for selling success on eBay.

The advice which I’ve found the most helpful in my business life was “find your niche”. I can’t tell you how valuable this has been — after all, it’s so much easier to be an expert in one thing instead of trying to sell a bit of everything!

I also remember that an accountant I used to work with once told me that “what is measured, is managed”. At the time this sounded like a very boring piece of advice, but in hindsight (and having had the experiences I have had since), it makes complete sense. As a business owner you deal with so many numbers and figures on a daily basis, and it’s crucial for you to know exactly what they are to ensure the smooth running of operations.

What's the one thing you've learnt that you wish you'd known when you were first growing your eBay business?

Making high-quality listings is one of the most important things you can do when selling on eBay. When I first started my online store, I admit that this was something I wasn’t the best at and ended up spending countless hours retaking photos and recreating my listings.

What does the future hold for Premium Trading Cards, and what are you most excited about?

I have big plans for the future but my ultimate goal at the moment is to have a revenue of no less than £10,000 per month by the end of 2022. And while I am getting closer to this, there is still quite a bit of work to do. 

Depending on how my business growth continues over the next year, I will also look to hire some people to help run operations, as well as rent an office space instead of working from my bedroom like I am currently.

Are you someone who turned to eBay during the pandemic as a way of making some extra money? We’d love to hear your story, so get in touch! And if you’re after some tips on how to build and grow your brand, check out our eBay Academy, here.

2 Comments