items stolen from me are for sale on ebay

Hi all, i need some help. Mine and my neighbours cars were broken into and we've found the items (oakley sunglasses and golf clubs) for sale on ebay, we've contacyed the police who dont seem to intersested, the items are on a 1 day action and they are due to end soon. Do i buy them back then start a claim against ebay/paypal? If i dont do anything quickly they will sell and i'll not see them again.

Any help appreciated.

Mr T

Message 1 of 12
See Most Recent
11 REPLIES 11

Tough decision. I would definitely bid and at least try to win them. Not sure I would pay though. Might have to stall for time once you have won them but at least you should have an address/contact number to attempt further investigation. 

Message 2 of 12
See Most Recent

@geeze57 :  Given that you say the auction is due to end soon I'd say that you need to act fast.  Write down the item number of each of the listings for the stolen items, and keep the piece of paper with the item numbers in front of you.  Once you've written down the item numbers click on the Help & Contact link that appears at both the top and the bottom of this page and a new page will load up.

Once the new page appears on the screen scroll right down to the bottom of the page and click on the mobile phone icon beneath the words "Need more help?  Have us call you."  You should then receive a phone call from eBay.  Tell the person you are speaking to that you have spotted two stolen items listed for sale on the site and provide eBay with both of the item numbers, making sure that you emphasise the fact that you know that both items are stolen because they have actually been stolen from you.  I've never had to do this myself so I don't know how helpful eBay are likely to be, but if you've already reported the matter to the police and they've given you a crime reference number in relation to the stolen items then provide eBay with that information.  eBay aren't likely to want to be caught turning a blind eye to the sale of stolen goods on their site, so if you can prove that the items are indeed stolen property and that you are the rightful owner then if eBay have got a shred of decency they should remove both listings from the site so that they cannot be sold to anybody else who may be thinking of buying them.  Hopefully you'll subsequently get the items back again.

Good luck with getting your stolen goods back - let us have an update on the case so that we know how it turned out in the end.  It would be interesting to know whether eBay actually did anything to help you to get the items back or chose instead to turn a blind eye to the matter and actually allowed the stolen goods to be sold on via their website.  If eBay don't take the listings down after you've tipped them off about them being stolen then it wouldn't look good on them at all - that would practically be like an advert to scammers and thieves to list stolen property on eBay, as it would only serve to give the impression that eBay will allow them to do so and that there wouldn't be any negative repurcussions on them for listing stolen goods for sale on the site.

Message 3 of 12
See Most Recent

Thank you for your reply,

I have already done exactly what you suggested. I requested a call back which they did within 30mins, they took the information very seriously but confirmed that it would be unlikely that I would find out the results of their investigation. They confirmed that it would be looked at straight away hovever the listings have now ended, i just hope ebay can stop the transaction completing.

The police have been incredibly slow in showing any interest despite phoning them 3 times with the info that i had, i even went ot my local station but it was closed due to covid-19. I shall update you if there are any further delelopments.

Regards

Message 4 of 12
See Most Recent

Thanks for you reply, unfortunately i ran out of time and the auctions have ended however ebay are investigating.
Message 5 of 12
See Most Recent

Their account activity does look highly suspicious. It's mostly new small item stuff (the type most easily shoplifted!) or used stuff you'd most expect to find in cars i.e. lots of sunglasses. Uses short 24hr auctions to reduce chance of being caught. No description as such. Post only no collection.

From the new items they have for sale or have sold in the last month I would say they shoplift from - Pets at Home, Superdrug, TK Maxx. Whitelion retail park in Dunstable looks most likely place as it has all 3 of those shops. Also the Boots in Quadrant shopping centre which is only 600m away. I don't know if ringing up the stores would do anything. Asking if they have had those specific items stolen or check cctv. Probably too much hassle just on a hunch even though I am almost certain that's what is going on.

Most likely a woman doing the shoplifting and a guy goes out at night breaking into cars.

Hope you find some justice buddy.

Message 6 of 12
See Most Recent

You would think it would be a cut and dried case for thr police, wouldn't you? You've provided the evidence and identified the thief, or their ID anyway, and I would have thought their contact details could easily be obtained by the police.  Yet they don't seem to want to act? Why not? Wouldn't this be an easy cop for them? 

I remember a lady on the boards a couple of years ago with the same problem. Her house had been burgled and all her property was being sold on ebay by one particular seller. 

She told the police. Police didn't want to know. 

******************************************************************************************