Who remembers the old posting boards? Good days!

I'm sat just about to list some bits and bobs and thought back to when the posting boards were so different.

I rarely come here now, but have some great memories 😊

A few that come to mind...

* There was WOS (RIP) who always kept us entertained.

*Andy who's query posts were always cryptic but you got there in the end Cat Tongue

* The night we took over the board masquerading as cartoon characters (I've forgotten the name of them)

* So many 'code 42's!

* Drunken Friday night ramblings by a certain poster.

* The guy who's witty feedback responses had us in bits

* Friday fight nights

* Being too scared to enter the 'Round Table' board!

* Having complete threads removed by a rather grouchy mod just for using CAPS in the title, ha ha!

Anyone else here remember these days, or have you all gone? Cat Very Happy

Message 1 of 61
See Most Recent
60 REPLIES 60

Haha I'd forgotten about the Codfather!

I remember you as Tara Spotty Paws. Nice to see you again. Are you still living in Babbacombe?

Message 41 of 61
See Most Recent

Yes, I'm still here, and nice to see you too 😊

I should hang around and post a bit more, especially as it's much tamer than the old Round Table (armour plated suit no longer needed, ha ha)

Message 42 of 61
See Most Recent

We were up your way a few weeks ago. We parked by the cliff railway and walked all along the cliff tops and had lunch in the Babbacome Inn. I live in Paignton BTW.

Yeah you should post more. It's a lot tamer on all the forums these days.

I do miss the old Q&A though, there was never a dull moment for sure as long as you had a very thick skin and a good sense of humour.

It's a shame it all turned so nasty towards the end.

Message 43 of 61
See Most Recent

You didn't do the walk down to sea level, ha ha. It's a good hike back up but lovely too (or cheat and jump on that cliff railway but it scares me!)

Now you've said it, I remember you lived in Paignton - my memory is awful!
Have the car boots started yet out on the Totnes Rd and the others? I love them, despite trying to get rid of my hoarded junk 😆

Message 44 of 61
See Most Recent

I presume the boot sales started again around Easter - they normally do.

It's been too cold to get up and walk round a field at stupid o'clock in the morning so I haven't bothered so far this year.

Funnily enough I went to my first boot sale last Sunday but it was an afternoon one at Exeter racecourse. It was really busy.

Thanks for the 'cheat' tip. I never thought of walking down and getting the cable car back up LOL

Message 45 of 61
See Most Recent

I don't go to the really early boots either, and have done a couple at the racecourse. It's quite large too.

There's one at The Cat and Fiddle by the showground in Exeter that I like, but I'm not sure if it's running yet.
Message 46 of 61
See Most Recent

You must have inspired me Tara. I woke up at 6.30 am, the sun was shining so I hauled my weary bones out of bed and went to the Totnes Road car boot.

I'm not overkeen on it though TBH. It's mainly full of what I call 'professional booters' as opposed to people having a genuine clear out of their old junk LOL so I didn't get much.

I don't think that one at Westpoint/Cat & Fiddle is on any more. It moved to Crealy Park but I haven't seen it advertised for ages.

My favourite one in Totnes Road (Sunday afternoon) isn't on anymore either.

The best ones now are Sunday morning Brixham Road and the one at Matford Park & Ride also in the morning. And Exeter racecourse Sunday afternoon.

There is also Newton Abbot racecourse Sunday morning but they are only on about once or twice a month - you have to check the website for the dates.

We're going to see Chicago the musical tonight in Torquay and I've gone completely deaf in one ear so that's going to be interesting  Woman Frustrated LOL

Message 47 of 61
See Most Recent

Message 48 of 61
See Most Recent

What happened to the post?

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 49 of 61
See Most Recent

Liveworld

Henry

several different board formats

FHG more communal

Nags more volatile

RT more ancient

Things move on

Message 50 of 61
See Most Recent

c18a3c91-1.gif

Petal
Message 51 of 61
See Most Recent

You forgot Q&A which though not officially a 'chat' board, was often where many started 

Message 52 of 61
See Most Recent

Ah yes, Friday nights fights on the old Quarrel and Argue.

It certainly helped acquiring a thick skin for use on forums.  Smiley Happy

I don't remember either ID from the old days, but then I was never a participant on that board, So Juk and javikha what id did you go under back then or is that top secret?
Message 54 of 61
See Most Recent

My first posts on the boards were on the Q & A with a selling ID but I soon realised that similar things could happen to me as happened to others so I created my posting ID 15 years and 4 months ago.

Before those that don't know ask, my posting ID used to be citydivision (hence the abbreviation to CD) and I switched to this ID when the requirements (now defunct) for posting more than ten posts a day were introduced.

That out of the way, I think ebay made a major mistake in allowing what went on on the Q & A to continue unchecked. There was deliberate auction wrecking by people creating new IDs at will which were soon "discarded" and really unpleasant trolling by the same individuals.

If anyone dared ask a question which had been dealt with before, rather than answer properly the board vultures descended with nasty comments and they were allowed to get away with it unchecked.

In the end, rather than deal with the individuals concerned, the Q & A was eliminated.

All that said, I liked the Q & A, it was fast moving and always seemed to have interesting posts if you worked your way through the more nasty stuff.

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 55 of 61
See Most Recent

Quarrel and argue was eventually a poster as well lol

That said it was in the early days at least  a mixture of help and chat, and attempts to appear less chat and more help

Message 56 of 61
See Most Recent

Pansy, you weren't around then lol

But do feel free to list all your previous, and what happened to them. Should take up the odd afternoon or so

Message 57 of 61
See Most Recent

Q&A disappeared because it had outlived it's usefulness. eBay had outgrown it, and unless you wanted to trawl through numerous pages of a relatively fast moving board, in the hope of finding a solution, it became obvious to break up the board into sections, especially since it's customer base was changing from small sellers of tat, to larger retail customers.

Message 58 of 61
See Most Recent

I missed out Molly's too. Smiley LOL  Time travel back on page one, two years. 

Message 59 of 61
See Most Recent

Was that the ancient whiner, who moaned endlessly, and was afraid of his own shadow?

Message 60 of 61
See Most Recent