What to do with a very personalised item... research tips.

sabe5994
Conversationalist

I have no idea which board to post this on so it ended up here...

I purchased a silver bracelet with charms on it, all is fine with the purchase, smooth transaction, great items. But one of the charms is engraved with two first names and a date. I did see this in the listing when I bought it so I have no issue at all in receiving it, it was just a couple of other charms on the bracelet that I specifically wanted to keep that I purchased it for, but now that this charm is in my possession it feels somewhat wrong to keep it.

The seller is a big company that deals with joblots at auction through a warehouse, so personal info on individual pieces are not something easy to get through them. 

The charm is a heart, it has two first names and a date engraved on to the front. Feels like it could be for a wedding, engagement, anniversary or something like that.

Has any one else ever dealt with a situation like this and do you have any tips on finding out who it may have belonged to/sending it back to them. 

I feel if I could achieve this then my good dead for the day will be done and I can get a coffee and put my feet up 😊

Message 1 of 7
See Most Recent
6 REPLIES 6

I'm newish here so apologies for replying on an old post but I'm burning with curiosity whether you ever did find out?

My first thought was they might be divorced, or sadly deceased, and that was how something so personal entered the market. Perhaps on a happier note they won the lottery, upgraded everything to solid platinum, and donated their old goods to charity? 🙂 

I don't know the costs involved, but if it's affordable you could list it, which gives the universe a fair chance of making sure it ends up in the right hands? I have a search alert set here for something very personal of my grandparent's which was sold by a feckless family member, there's next to zero chance it'll ever get listed or that I'll be able to afford it if it did, but I feel better for trying.

Message 2 of 7
See Most Recent

I still haven't found out who it rightly belongs to and I'm just as curious myself to find out.

I also thought that perhaps a divorce was involved, as it is a man and woman's name and a specific date, which implies wedding/anniversary, possibly engagement or some other kind of memorable event. I've even tried searching the names/date in marriage records but got nothing so far. The date is within the last 10 years so some privacy laws will definitely apply in seeking official docs. I've tried the obvious social media sites for any reference to the info... I've come up with nothing so far ☹

I thought in the case of the divorce, (if it was me) I'd sell it for the scrap price rather than giving it away in the hopes of someone having the exact same relevant info... it seems odd. 

I actually didn't think of listing it with it being so personal... as it is I can't imagine it would sell except for the silver scrap price, if the inscription wasn't there I'd probably be able to sell it for between £15-£30... but I'd certainly feel I'd done my bit if I could find the owner and send it back free of charge.

I'll keep at it... and any advice greatly is appreciated! 🙂

Message 3 of 7
See Most Recent

If you list it BIN well above scrap price or value as a charm, to fend off other purchasers, and add the region it came from (if you have that) in the listing title with the name and date, and then mention in the listing if someone recognises the names to drop you a line, that could work. Eg: "John & Mary Heart Charm 01 Jan 2015 01/01/15 Manchester" for £100 (or more) and then specify why, and invite anyone who recognises it to contact you via Ebay? Then if you ever find the absolute right person, eg they can describe the other charms which were on it, invite them in Messages, and then to Send An Offer which is just above P&P, which you then have discretion to accept. Even if you don't have any info on the region, the names and date alone might work.

That listing should percolate out into Google so that anyone searching would see it.

It's a lot of time spent for something someone might not want back, but I also understand why you want to chase this up. If they sold it from necessity, the name and date gives it a fighting chance of showing up if they periodically search for it. Good luck! I'm a bit intrigued. 🙂

Message 4 of 7
See Most Recent

It could of been a stolen item that has been sold on/ or weighed in.  Police may have a report of the loss on their records which must be centralized.

Message 5 of 7
See Most Recent

That thought also crossed my mind so I'd definitely be worried about listing it in those circumstances.

The item came from a pretty reputable company who buy and sell, I assume they don't ask too many questions about where stuff comes from, they just need to know it is authentic.

I'll have a look into what you suggested. I didn't even think of checking actual reports of lost/stolen items.

Message 6 of 7
See Most Recent

That is actually a good idea. If I can get it okayed as not stolen, etc that might be the way to go.

Message 7 of 7
See Most Recent