May 7 was the most disproportionate election in British history,

New analysis by the Electoral Reform Society (ERS)

Ukip could have won as many as 80 seats in the general election under a different voting system, according to a new report.

A more proportional method of allocating seats would have dramatically increased the size of Nigel Farage's party in the House of Commons, while the Greens could have ended up with 20 MPs.

Ukip and the Greens received five million votes on May 7, but ended up with just one MP each.

New analysis by the Electoral Reform Society (ERS) suggests that an alternative system of voting would have led to both parties picking up many more seats, while the Conservatives would have seen their tally of MPs fall by almost 100.

"May 7 was the most disproportionate election in British history," said Katie Ghose, chief executive of the ERS.

"It's about time we had a fairer system for electing our MPs.

Message 1 of 76
See Most Recent
75 REPLIES 75

It all depends on what charity its going to doesnt it,for the yaryar to be a genuine gesture......House of commons for newly unseated impoverished MP charity or foodbanks to feed the scroungers 🙂

Labour mps as a rule are a lying untrustworthy bunch ,whereas Tories dont lie and just pocket it with a grin 🙂 

But hey,I still (unfoundedly of course) believe this country is on a collision course with dictarship ruling.

Message 61 of 76
See Most Recent

@joamur_gosof wrote:

It all depends on what charity its going to doesnt it,for the yaryar to be a genuine gesture......House of commons for newly unseated impoverished MP charity or foodbanks to feed the scroungers 🙂

Labour mps as a rule are a lying untrustworthy bunch ,whereas Tories dont lie and just pocket it with a grin 🙂 

But hey,I still (unfoundedly of course) believe this country is on a collision course with dictarship ruling.

Plenty of 'statements' to try and prove your point!

So - is there such a charity for 'newly unseated impoverished MPs" - No of course there isn't.

What evidence do you have that Labour, (or any other party) MPs are a "lying untrustworthy bunch" or that the proportion who are is greater than liers in the general population?

Yes your beliefs do appear to be unfounded without real evidence to back up your claims.  Making ridiculously wild statements only damages your arguments rather than backing them up.

Message 62 of 76
See Most Recent

I appreciate youre imput upthecreeky,I really do 🙂

but and of course there is a but.............................I am right and this country is heading towards AUE...Is it not ?...... my argument albeit flawed with emotion and beliefs is still a sound argument,and what I am arguing is for f sake prove me wrong please ,because I and millions of others want this country to stand for all that can be good in this world and not let here of all places (proud battlers of right) to be just a waste of time..................................................I think now (IDS quote) I don't care how many die 'I' got millions in work.....is  where we are heading

appreciate your imput more than you imagine ,its a true voice amongst the media because machine.

now prove to me we are not heading towards the NO CHANCE.. regime please

Message 63 of 76
See Most Recent

next up ,will be my unfounded claims labour mps are 'as a rule lying untrustworthy folk' .............ps creeky.........these will be facts ..FACTS.

Message 64 of 76
See Most Recent

justanother 

My thoughts are that there is so little honesty, integrity and accountability that I for one am totally disinclined to give any of the major parties my vote. I reckon most folk would welcome a viable alternative or at least a major purge throughout the current parliament and government. So much waste and thievery going on, constant bad decision making and the words of common sense falling on their deaf ears. They will be held to account one day and I wouldn't want to be in their shoes.

I am in this belief as well...soooo well said

Message 65 of 76
See Most Recent

ps AUE Is Americas United England ,for those trying to catch up .A bad trailer park outside washington and hollywood

Message 66 of 76
See Most Recent

@joamur_gosof wrote:

I appreciate youre imput upthecreeky,I really do 🙂

but and of course there is a but.............................I am right and this country is heading towards AUE...Is it not ?...... my argument albeit flawed with emotion and beliefs is still a sound argument,and what I am arguing is for f sake prove me wrong please ,because I and millions of others want this country to stand for all that can be good in this world and not let here of all places (proud battlers of right) to be just a waste of time..................................................I think now (IDS quote) I don't care how many die 'I' got millions in work.....is  where we are heading

appreciate your imput more than you imagine ,its a true voice amongst the media because machine.

now prove to me we are not heading towards the NO CHANCE.. regime please

You are asking me to prove a negative without offering evidence of your claim.

You are the one making the prediction, it is up to you to offer the evidence.

Message 67 of 76
See Most Recent

@joamur_gosof wrote:

next up ,will be my unfounded claims labour mps are 'as a rule lying untrustworthy folk' .............ps creeky.........these will be facts ..FACTS.

Capitalise all you like, repeating something doesn't make it a fact - I doubt most people could even name half a dozen Labour, (or any other party), MPs let alone know them well enough to be able to call them liars or untrustworthy.

Message 68 of 76
See Most Recent

@joamur_gosof wrote:

justanother 

My thoughts are that there is so little honesty, integrity and accountability that I for one am totally disinclined to give any of the major parties my vote. I reckon most folk would welcome a viable alternative or at least a major purge throughout the current parliament and government. So much waste and thievery going on, constant bad decision making and the words of common sense falling on their deaf ears. They will be held to account one day and I wouldn't want to be in their shoes.

I am in this belief as well...soooo well said

And this gets to the root of the problem in my opinion.  MPs 'represent' such a large area with so many people in that area that they have relatively little contact with their constituents and vice versa. 

Proportional representation would only make the gap between the voters and their MPs even wider.

The only way I can think of to solve this problem is real devolution.

Message 69 of 76
See Most Recent

Now what is real devolution?

The "devolution" we have at the moment is just another tier of money-wasting bureacracy providing a talking shop for many of those with no real experience of life outside school-college-university-politics.

There's already enough leeching councillors/county councillors/AMs/MSPs and the last thing we need is more of the same.

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 70 of 76
See Most Recent

@cee-dee wrote:

Now what is real devolution?

The "devolution" we have at the moment is just another tier of money-wasting bureacracy providing a talking shop for many of those with no real experience of life outside school-college-university-politics.

There's already enough leeching councillors/county councillors/AMs/MSPs and the last thing we need is more of the same.

I disagree CD - the problem as I see it is that looking at your 'tree', "councillors/county councillors . . . . ", is that decision making, revenue raising and overall power increases as you go up the tree rather than the other way around.

Those higher up the tree have less and less connection and empathy with the electorate but have more and more power to regulate and affect the day to day life of the voters.  I'd like to see 'real' power coming down the tree leaving those at the top with just revenue raising powers to cover the cost of truly national needs such as defence, transport and financial regulation, the judiciary and border control.

Health, benefits, education, social welfare, policing etc. should be funded at a much lower level - that way the electorate in an area would have a genuine and decisive say on how the local services are prioritised and also have a greater connection with those making decisions on their behalf. 

The US has a federal model much of which could be followed here without threatening the integrity of the UK.  We may be smaller in area but in terms of poupulation between counties and states the comparison is nowhere near as stark.  For instance Greater London would be the 13th largest US state in terms of population.  Even a county like Essex would have 10 US states with a smaller population.

Message 71 of 76
See Most Recent

We do not need ever more bureacracy. All these Mayors and Police Crime Commissioners are a complete waste of time and money when you evaluate what they actually do for their money.

It's easier than ever before to contact your representatives as they're all online so why do we need more "to make it easier" to contact them?.

Live long and prosper.

Message 72 of 76
See Most Recent

I capitalised facts as I do not think there is such a thing (see talking heads) not to shout at yourself or anyone ...my bad it came accross that way.

Devolving todays system ,is the only thing I beleive will stop things ending up in a giant prison country..or GP instead of GB .

Message 73 of 76
See Most Recent

@cee-dee wrote:

We do not need ever more bureacracy. All these Mayors and Police Crime Commissioners are a complete waste of time and money when you evaluate what they actually do for their money.

It's easier than ever before to contact your representatives as they're all online so why do we need more "to make it easier" to contact them?.

Elected mayors, (there's only two in the UK), with real powers do a 'lot' for their money.  The real problem is that they don't have sufficient tax raising powers. The vast majority of tax contributions, (income tax and VAT), from those living in their areas does not go into their coffers. They are still subject to central government 'interference' in regards to education, health, housing, social welfare etc. 

Where they do have spending powers they have made a real difference, much of which can be objected to or praised according to your own individual standpoint.  The point being though that they are answerable to a far smaller, (but still too big), an electorate than cities essentially administered by central government.  Much better in my opinion if many of the powers held by a Mayor could be passed down to borough level and at the same time central powers held by the national government were passed down to the mayoral level.

Devolution can't be actioned on a revolutionary level but will have to evolve.  The idea that an MP can represent 100,000 people in terms of health, education, welfare and many other needs is ludicrous.  There are so many variations in the needs of their constituents they are pulled in all directions when it comes to voting for any nationally implemented measures that try to do all things for all men.

The needs of those in an area with a high concentration of elderly or unemployed or industrial workers etc. are totally different to those with young families, full employment or service industry workers but measures having a direct influence on the services of all those areas are actioned universally by central government.

Likewise with policing - Scotland has seen the introduction of a 'national' police force and there have been calls for a similar system in the rest of the UK.  This would see the police and its upper heirarchy in the direct control of national politicians rather than being answerable, although admittedly pretty ineffectively at the moment, to the much smaller local police authorities.  The exact opposite of devolution but something that would no doubt please the national government - another example of power being passed up, away from the people rather than downwards that would mean more local answerability.

Message 74 of 76
See Most Recent

Elected Mayors? How about this:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-33017152

Live long and prosper.

Message 75 of 76
See Most Recent

@cee-dee wrote:

Elected Mayors? How about this:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-33017152

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear - there are only two metropolitan authorities, Greater London and Greater Manchester, (not yet elected), with additional devolved spending powers.

Elected mayors at borough level are simply replacing commitees and have no additional authority.

Message 76 of 76
See Most Recent