Love Letters.

Over the weekend, my newspaper reported that Joan Bakewell had donated a collection of love letters to an archive where they will be in the public domain, for anyone to read. The letters were written to her by Harold Pinter, with whom she conducted an affair in the 1960's. Extracts from some of the letters were printed in the newspaper, and they were very, very touching, but intensely personal. After reading them I felt as if I had read things that were so personal that they should have been kept private.

What do you folks think? Should love letters be kept private, or is it ok to allow anyone to read them? Maybe as the sender is now no longer around it might seem appropriate, but his wife, Lady Antonia Frazier is very much alive. I am wondering how she feels about her husbands love letters to another lady being made public?

Do people write love letters these days? Have any of you lovely people kept love letters from long ago, maybe in a little parcel tied with red ribbon?🙂 Would you like all and sundry to read your most intimate missives? 

I have just realised, after typing this, that Valentines Day is approaching, so maybe this is an appropriate post at the moment!

Message 1 of 10
See Most Recent
9 REPLIES 9

Love Letters.

I think it is up to the individual concerned, I have little or no interest in the affairs of others but can see the fascination of some. I personally would not wish to discuss my private life with the public at large however for those already in the public eye I feel they already are used to it and see it as another way of making a living. If they are happy with it so be it.
Message 2 of 10
See Most Recent

Love Letters.

I think she should have kept them to herself. It's a slap in the face for the wife. Perhaps that was her idea?

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 3 of 10
See Most Recent

Love Letters.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I feel that love is a private thing and should stay that way, but nowadays people have less and less boundaries when it comes to private stuff.

Message 4 of 10
See Most Recent

Love Letters.

They shouldn't have been published while there was anyone still alive they could affect.

As for keeping letters, I've been married nearly fifty years and never had a letter, if I wanted one I'd have to write it myself and get him to sign it.Woman LOL

Message 5 of 10
See Most Recent

Love Letters.

😂😂..Same here Margaret..56 years married and never had a letter. And only ever had one bunch of flowers. I live in hope!

But if I did get a letter, I wouldn't want to share it with anyone else. 

Message 6 of 10
See Most Recent

Love Letters.

I had some flowers on our 40th😁

And once when I had one of the babies, which I strongly suspect was  one of my sisters in laws idea.

Who said geordie men aren't romantic.😀

Message 7 of 10
See Most Recent

Love Letters.

My OH says..'What do you want flowers for? You can't eat flowers.' I give up.😀

Message 8 of 10
See Most Recent

Love Letters.

Smiley Very Happyhmmm i got a bunch of letter's, i wunder If She's famous now

never mind i'll keep em.

Petal
Message 9 of 10
See Most Recent

Love Letters.

Love letters should be kept private.  My OH and I have kept the letters we wrote to each other for many years, but we recently discussed destroying them.  We don't want any one else, including our kids, to find them and read them after we're gone.

I feel sorry for Lady Antonia.  Not just that they were made public, but that they were written at all.

..........................................................................................................

crooksnanny ~ maz
Message 10 of 10
See Most Recent