Gumtree - As there are no forums (and it's owned by ebay)

I (like thousands of others) have just been ripped off on Gumtree. For some reason I broke every rule I know and paid by bank transfer, didn't get proof of I.D. etc etc. I have no idea why but there you go. My point here though is that Gumtree have now prevented me from contacting the advertiser.

On the 6th February 2018 I responded to ad. Ref 1285893420. Using Gumtree’s message system I agreed to purchase this item and another from the seller. On the same date I paid £70 for the goods via bank transfer. On the 7th February, the seller advised they had been posted. I maintained contact with the seller using Gumtree messages. On the 9th February I received an email from Gumtree advising me that the seller may have been involved of suspicious activity. I sent two further messages to the seller which I now know they won’t have received as Gumtree had blocked the seller and their ability to send/receive messages.

The goods haven’t arrived and, due to Gumtree blocking any further messages, I am unable to contact the seller. This is ludicrous. I fully understand the need to prevent this seller from advertising or communicating with any other potential buyers but it’s essential to me that I am allowed to communicate with them. There may be a perfectly valid reason for the item not turning up (unlikely I know)

In my opinion, Gumtree have prevented me from resolving this matter due to their interference. Surely Gumtree must offer some ‘Resolution service’ in cases like this? If not, they should just stay out of all transactions completely.
If Gumtree hadn't done anything I would just write it off but I think it's all or nothing. Their platform connected me to this advertiser and allowed me to communicate with them. I don't think it's fair that they decide when to cut off that dialogue.
Message 1 of 5
See Most Recent
4 REPLIES 4

trees.gif

Petal
Message 2 of 5
See Most Recent

Thanks. I've already submitted a complaint and emailed Morten Heuing direct about this. If I hear anything I'll update the thread.
Message 3 of 5
See Most Recent

brolly time.gifOk

Petal
Message 4 of 5
See Most Recent

Gumtree email rarely works if you're trying to buy, so I don't know what it would be like for mailing anyone in charge.

Message 5 of 5
See Most Recent