Is this right?

This afternoon I chatted with a chap I sometimes see out walking and during conversation he said that now he was 75 he didn't have to buy a TV licence. I said he was lucky not to have to do so but that it was a nuisance that as he was over 70, he had to renew his driving licence every three years......

He looked a bit sideways and said that "they" hadn't contacted him.....

I said that I thought that once you reached 70 you were supposed to contact the DVLA to get a new licence but thereafter "they" would send you a reminder to renew it at 73 and every three years threafter.

I also said that as he hadn't done so, his licence was invalid and as it was invalid/expired, his insurance was invalidated because in effect, he hadn't got a licence.

Was I right?

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 1 of 17
See Most Recent
16 REPLIES 16

Is this right?

Is this right?

Most insurance policies state that the insurance is valid providing the driver holds or HAS HELD a licence and is not disqualified for holding or obtaining one - or something similar.

Message 3 of 17
See Most Recent

Is this right?

Hmm, don't know.  I always assumed the DVLA would contact you.  But, thinking back...........

Licences only last 10 years now.  A while back I had to produce my licence in the bank as ID, and the bank teller pointed out that it was almost expired - about 3 weeks to go.  I quickly got it renewed, but no one from DVLA had contacted me.  If they hadn't pointed it out in the bank it would have expired without me noticing.

..........................................................................................................

crooksnanny ~ maz
Message 4 of 17
See Most Recent

Is this right?

Does it not say , holds a VALID licence, which it won't be if it's expired.

I renewed my husband's licence online, but I can't remember if they contacted him.

Message 5 of 17
See Most Recent

Is this right?

Just checked mine -it definitely states, “holds or has held”.

Message 6 of 17
See Most Recent

Is this right?

It says on the renewal form "Once we have received your valid application, you can continue to drive before you receive your licence as long as...." then follows five conditions.

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 7 of 17
See Most Recent

Is this right?

I do feel that if you are a driver with a valid licence, then your age should be noted by the DVLA and you would be contacted and reminded that your licence is about to expire so you are required to re apply for a continuation to carry on driving.

It's obvious, because this person did not recieve any such notification that this isn't the case and common sense should have made him look into it and re apply. Surely drivers should know the requirements.

++++++++++++++++++++++++
Next mood swing in 6 minutes
++++++++++++++++++++++++

Message 8 of 17
See Most Recent

Is this right?

I got a reminder from the DVLA to renew my licence when I reached 70.

Is this right?

His Licence will say it, on it

He'll likely still have a paper one

(Yes, they ARE still legal)

That it expired, the day before His 70th Birthday

Message 10 of 17
See Most Recent

Is this right?

I’ve never had a photo licence - still got my paper one but will have to go modern next year when I reach 70 😞

I found my original licence a while ago - a little red booklet about the size of a credit card. 

Message 11 of 17
See Most Recent

Is this right?

wrote:

I got a reminder from the DVLA to renew my licence when I reached 70.

Thankfully I've got a while to go before I need to re apply.

I was made to change from paper to photo too, can't remember now why but I didn't have a choice. xx

++++++++++++++++++++++++
++++++++++++++++++++++++

Message 12 of 17
See Most Recent

Is this right?

Thankfully I've got a while to go before I need to re apply.

I was made to change from paper to photo too, can't remember now why but I didn't have a choice. xx

You are required to swap it for a New one, for ANY change of circumstances

also if You get any points on Your licence - you have to get a new one

Message 13 of 17
See Most Recent

Is this right?

Think that may have been why then, we moved house. I can say no points just yet lol xx
++++++++++++++++++++++++
++++++++++++++++++++++++

Message 14 of 17
See Most Recent

Is this right?

I got a reminder to renew my licence recently (70 in a couple of months) but wrote to them instead of filling in the form, saying I have never learned to drive a car or passed any test, so have no licence to renew.  The form also allowed me to surrender my right to drive, which again I can't do, as I currently have no right to drive.

I did buy a provisional licence several years ago on a whim, and for some reason didn't take lessons after all; the licence expired and I threw it out and thought no more of it, but this must be the licence whose number they quote on the form.  I was assuming that if I decided to learn (it's never too late!) I would just have to buy a new provisional, but no doubt they will explain when they reply.

Apparently you can apply for renewal online instead, which is quicker, but you have to have a passport.  Tough if you've never been abroad.

Message 15 of 17
See Most Recent

Is this right?

I renewed my husband's and his brothers licence online, neither of them has ever had a passport.

Message 16 of 17
See Most Recent

Is this right?

How strange, it says on the form you can renew online " if you have a valid UK passport."  I was really surprised to get a reminder to renew.  It does look very simple though, if you are in fact a driver.

Message 17 of 17
See Most Recent