Electric folding bikes

Has anyone got one?
Electric bikes are the way to go, much greener and older people with less pedal power can get out and about more easily.

I'm going to buy one, mainly to get to my allotment across town and up a hill, not least because short journeys are not good for my diesel camper van and very expensive in fuel. I want a folding one, lightweight, and easy to take away camping. I have my eye on two or three makes but the prices vary a lot.

Does anyone know if the more expensive ones are really worth the extra dosh, and do you have any tips about the most important things to consider?
All that we are is what we have thought.
Message 1 of 13
See Most Recent
12 REPLIES 12

Electric folding bikes

It is difficult to suggest what is best, may I suggest you pop into your nearest Halfords and take advantage of their expertise and trial what you feel suits your needs. When you find what suits you then you can google it and start looking at the best price.
Message 2 of 13
See Most Recent

Electric folding bikes

Thanks
I doubt there's anyone who posts on here that has an electric bike, but this is the only forum I visit these days. Perhaps more expertise here on mobility aids! No offence intended to anyone, just the average age of the old regulars is increasing.

I'm down to a choice of two but there is a grand between them!
No reviews of the cheaper one, and no video showing it and ease of folding. It's an online company and I think they have missed an opportunity by not doing a simple video on YouTube, that wouldn't be expensive for the increased sales. Not seeing it in action has me leaning towards the more expensive one.

have heard that you do get what you pay for and things like battery quality are important (replacement batteries are a few hundred).

But I'll have to psyche myself up or drink a bottle of wine before I hit a buy it button!

Message 3 of 13
See Most Recent

Electric folding bikes

Message 4 of 13
See Most Recent

Electric folding bikes

Why don't you contact the sellers and ask questions? The online seller may well be selling a good item or it could be absolute garbage.

You should be able to "guess" what their attitude is from their (lack of meaningful?) replies.

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 5 of 13
See Most Recent

Electric folding bikes

I've personally not had one, my brother has.
They are really only assisted pedaling which you may not find helpful up hills.
I don't think any particular make would be better than others. They are very expensive for what they are. The folding ones perhaps not as robust us the non folding because they have to be light weight.
What I have noticed is many people buy these bikes thinking they are the best thing since sliced bread then find they don't use them and sell them..that is why there are so many second hand ones on the market.
I would go for a secondhand possibly local to you if you can find one, so you can try it put ask questions etc. Spend less money on a good deal then if you find it isn't really what you were expecting or you don't use it as much as you had first thought you won't have wasted money.
If on the other hand you want new, check the sellers after sales service, see what you get for your money keeping road worthy etc.
Next mood swing in six minutes.
Message 6 of 13
See Most Recent

Electric folding bikes

CD - contacted the company selling the cheaper bike, first by email questions - no reply (first thing that put me off), then by phone and they seemed ok plus the bike had more features than stated in the description.
But no company is going to say anything negative about their product.

But I thought there might be a chance that someone who looks in here might have got an electric bike and could have some tips.

I usually spend so much time researching big purchases that by the time I make a decision either any special offers have passed or there is a new model out!

Message 7 of 13
See Most Recent

Electric folding bikes

Thanks lolly - sensible advice!

I realise folding ones won't be as robust but storage is a problem and I have to have folding to take in my campervan. I have a bike rack on it but my current bike is so heavy I can barely lift it and it's stored away from home.

I have been keeping an eye on gumtree where biked are selling fast.
Message 8 of 13
See Most Recent

Electric folding bikes

I think that if I were contemplating such a thing I'd be asking questions about the battery.

It's all very well sellers claiming that the range is so many miles but that's on a new battery fully charged. The battery needs to be regularly used, not hanging around for ages unused. What's the life of the battery? They don't last for ever?

Also look in to the type, make and model of the battery. A replacement from other than the bike sellers may well be a lot less for the same battery. The batteries will have other usages apart from bikes so looking in to an alternative source is a thing to consider when replacement is needed.

Have you thought of waiting until there's some sort of "bike day" where you could try one out? Have you had a go with one? There's nothing like "hands-on" to give you an idea of what you might like.

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 9 of 13
See Most Recent

Electric folding bikes

Electric folding bikes

Thanks Joe, saw that earlier this week.
Fairly close to a decision now, just got to part with some savings ....
Message 11 of 13
See Most Recent

Electric folding bikes

Weight!

How far you need to travel! 

Battery capacity!

Folding or non folding! 

Size of motor! 

Message 12 of 13
See Most Recent

Electric folding bikes

You can buy direct from China, usually saving nearly £300 on a £1000 bike here