Ebay's association with Discogs

Not sure if this is the correct group but

What is Ebays association with Discogs?

I have found that if Discogs restrict an item, then Ebay (U.K.) will follow suite and not allow you to list it although Ebay's U.S.A. site will allow it to be sold. Surly both companies are independent of each other.

This is for retailed CD's purchased whilst on service in Hong Kong and also for retail through major U.K. outlets (hmv, virgin, Woolworths ect). and also produced by reconised lables.

reasons please

Message 1 of 5
See Most Recent
4 REPLIES 4

There is no apparent association between eBay and Discogs.

Discogs is owned by Zinc Media, a private company owned by Kevin Lewandowski, which is based in Portland, Oregon, whereas eBay Inc is a publicly traded company whose shares are traded on NASDAQ.

In all likelihood the apparent fact that if Discogs restricts an item eBay UK follows suit is coincidental - I doubt very much that Discogs would notify eBay when an item is restricted (and it would be on the off-chance that the same item has been listed on eBay) and it is extremely unlikely that eBay have the ability to scrape other websites (and not just limited to Discogs either - they'd have to scrape all marketplace websites) to identify items which had been not only listed and then restricted on those sites but also listed on eBay.

Although there may appear to be a connection I think it's more likely that the item you listed contained a prohibited word or words, possibly on Discogs and eBay UK but not eBay US. I have to say that's a guess on my part being privvy to neither Discogs and eBay's prohibited words lists nor the item you were attempting to list.

Any chance you could give details of the item and perhaps the listing title you attempted to use? The details may give some clues which could help with a more definitve answer.

Message 2 of 5
See Most Recent

Thank you for the reply
Nothing to hand at present but overtime I have been warned off by ebay "as
this item does not conform to our policy, this item has been removed and
attempting to relist will result in youbeen removed" (or words to that
effect.
When checking on Discogs they say they the item is not recognized as
legitimate (ie bootleg) and is not available on their site.
When checking on Ebay usa the item is available and sold for for a very
good price.
no offensive wording was used and if included as an official title was
asterixed (ie ba***rd son)
As you say it might be just coincident

--
*Jeff Le Boutillier*
Message 3 of 5
See Most Recent

You're welcome.

From what you've written it does seem to be coincidental. eBay's wording suggests that your listing fell foul of their listing rules for some reason (and it's rather frustrating that they never give a specific reason when restricting an item so you're left to guess what it might be). It may well have been flagged as a (possibly) bootleg recording - in which case it would 'match' with Discogs' reason for restriction - but an item could well be restricted for offensive wording even with asterisks (though I doubt eBay's restriction list of offensive words would run to, for example, ba***rd, b*****d, b*s*a*d and any other combination).

I recall (though I must admit vaguely) reading something several years ago about there being a large number of bootlegged recordings originating from the Far East, so that could well be the reason. And there is also the added complication that some are 'official bootlegs' whilst some are 'unofficial bootlegs'.

The best I can suggest is that in future you double-check as many of the item details as you can - catalogue number/publisher/barcode etc - to (hopefully) establish that it's genuine before you list anything and, as far as you possibly can, avoid any possibly offensive words, askerisks or not.

Message 4 of 5
See Most Recent

` I have been warned off by ebay "as
this item does not conform to our policy, this item has been removed and
attempting to relist will result in youbeen removed" (or words to that
effect.`

i had the same thing happen to me twice at the beginning of the year. i decided to sell a music collection i had because i have other collections that were getting out of hand, so something had to give. Ironically, the two audio cassttes i listed, had actually been purchased off ebay in the first place, but were both removed as being `unaurthorised` or `bootleg`, so all the other listings i did make, which ran into hundreds, i had to be very careful with.

Ours is but to reason why 🙂

Message 5 of 5
See Most Recent