Does anyone collect?

This isn't necessarily anything to do with ebay but I was wondering if anyone had any stories about their collection? 
The reason I'm asking is I'm a student that's currently working on a project about the idea of collections; why do people collect objects, what type of things people collect and also how do you store the items?

Any pictures are welcome, any stories about their collection would be grately appreciated.
Thank you in advance for anyone who replies!

Message 1 of 12
See Most Recent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Does anyone collect?

I collect £2 coins OP 

everytime I get one in , I put it in a old  metal cigar box , I never spend a £2 coin , either

So if there are bills in , or someone needs the money , there leg will have to falling off before I give them one of my £2 coins .

Its a great way to save , and was very useful 15 years ago (or so ) , when I was skint , as whenever a sudden bill came in , I could alwasy counter it with my £2 coin stash .

As wel as being a fabulos collection , its a very useful lifestyle choice (the habit of saving )

I have encouraged other young people (and older ) to get in the habit of exercising some self discipline ,  alas to no avail .

I been 12 years on ebay and had 1000's of sales and I trust people more than ever now
Message 6 of 12
See Most Recent
11 REPLIES 11

Does anyone collect?

redwick1
Experienced Mentor

This is not the thread for your question and it is a quick question and answer thread.
If you go to Community at the bottom of the page and then Discussion Boards you will find a thread to ask your questions

We are just ordinary members trying to help.
Message 2 of 12
See Most Recent

Does anyone collect?

I am greatly surprised that students these days can't spell.

Message 3 of 12
See Most Recent

Does anyone collect?

I was only surprised, by there being just one spelling mistake in the post. 

Message 4 of 12
See Most Recent

Does anyone collect?

I'd appreciate it, if you could do some research into what exactly eBay means,  by "create a collection"  This expression comes up when searching for items.

But I don't know what it means, can you help?

Message 5 of 12
See Most Recent

Does anyone collect?

I collect £2 coins OP 

everytime I get one in , I put it in a old  metal cigar box , I never spend a £2 coin , either

So if there are bills in , or someone needs the money , there leg will have to falling off before I give them one of my £2 coins .

Its a great way to save , and was very useful 15 years ago (or so ) , when I was skint , as whenever a sudden bill came in , I could alwasy counter it with my £2 coin stash .

As wel as being a fabulos collection , its a very useful lifestyle choice (the habit of saving )

I have encouraged other young people (and older ) to get in the habit of exercising some self discipline ,  alas to no avail .

I been 12 years on ebay and had 1000's of sales and I trust people more than ever now
Message 6 of 12
See Most Recent

Does anyone collect?

Thank you for getting back to me papko, I appreciate that you took the time to respond about your collection. My sister collects £2 coins also, she calls it her 'shoe fund'. 

Message 7 of 12
See Most Recent

Does anyone collect?

Sorry I didn't realise, I will do that now. 

Message 8 of 12
See Most Recent

Does anyone collect?

@redwick1 wrote:

This is not the thread for your question and it is a quick question and answer thread.
If you go to Community at the bottom of the page and then Discussion Boards you will find a thread to ask your questions

This is confusing to put it mildly.

This IS a thread which has been started by the OP.

I'm guessing they started it in the Answer Centre - which is the wrong forum, but to just direct them to the Discussion Boards is equally not helpful because they could have ended up on the wrong board in that section too.

As it is, they are now on the Round Table which is as good a place as any to have this thread.

To answer the OP, I've had collections of various things over the decades but I found that I changed what I liked to collect and sold or given them away and moved on.

Other people spend a lifetime collecting just one thing - eg stamps or royalty memorabilia etc.

I've never got to the stage where I have so much in my collection at the time that it takes over my life or my home as happens with some people.

I've been in a house where the owners had more DVDs than a Blockbuster store - all along the walls, in cupboards, on the back of the sofa, in the spare bedroom, in boxes under the beds.

I've also seen photos of people who collect yarn of all kinds - and have spare rooms and cupboards full of the stuff and one person who even reckons it's the same as stamp collecting.  They will never use the bulk of it - they just buy the yarn to ................. look at, feel, own?

I've known people who have huge collections of glass ornaments - and clean them too!

I've known people who are fixated with used clothing - used to be jumble sales years ago and then car boot sales.  They just have to buy the stuff and store it somewhere, although they will never use it.

Whatever floats their boat.

It's a grey and probably muddled line between what is a genuine collection for the love of that item or category (eg stamps, medals, old coins) and what is an obsession with getting anything and everything of one particular kind of thing that a person can lay their hands on, no matter whether it is really a collection or just an obsession with the idea of ownership.

********************************************************************************
My body is an old warehouse full of declining storage, my mind is a dusty old reference library, strictly for members and archaeologists only
Message 9 of 12
See Most Recent

Does anyone collect?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't see why it can't be answered on here. Malac is wrong.

And who cares about your spelling. Not many on this forum have a degree in English anyway, so lets stick to your question.

I collect art glass. Specifically Italian, often from the 50's, but I also like Czech glass, and glass from the Art Deco period.

My love for glass started young (about 40 odd years ago), when I used to go camping with my parents in Italy.

It started with the made for tourists glass clown, but developed it later in life into serious collecting of pieces from master glass blowers.

My house is not packed to the rafters with glass, but I display it throughout my house in what I feel is a tasteful display, without being overwhelming. I still want my glass items to display well in their own right and not plonk them all next to each other on endless shelves. I have items varying from a few pounds to a few hundred pounds. I buy what I like and what suits my house, not just from specific glass makers.

I have also sold a lot of glass on ebay, especially in the past.

I have collected stones and shells in the past, which are displayed again in such manner that it doesn't take over the house.

I hope this helps you. Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 12
See Most Recent

Does anyone collect?

@malacandran wrote:

I was only surprised, by there being just one spelling mistake in the post. 

Oh Gawd ! Nice to see the Pedant Police are still alive and kicking.

Mister EMB

Message 11 of 12
See Most Recent

Does anyone collect?

This is a very good place to help the OP with their query! There used to be quite a few collectors of various things on here, and it's nice to know that I am not the only one here with collecting obsessions. Over the years I have collected various things. I have a collection of postage stamps, but gave up adding to it in the year 2000. I also have a collection of Antique samplers. Being an embroiderer, I love the poems and verses that young children were taught to stitch on them. But my main obsession is Gaudy Welsh China, being a Welsh lady. The designs on the China are all hand painted and there are thousands of different patterns, I display them on Welsh Dressers, (three of them!) and on shelves and in cabinets. They look beautiful on display. The downside is that it all has to be washed to keep it looking nice, and it is becoming a bit of a chore. I also used to collect £2 coins, but I don't seem to get many now.....Papko has them all.😄
Message 12 of 12
See Most Recent