Do we put too much trust......

in a technology that really is still in it's infancy, with so much going wrong :

Broadband speeds that are promised, but are a fantasy for many

Less security that an open prison

Javascript crashing......regularly

pages taking ages to load......regularly

Poor Wi-Fi signal ( if you've got a house with solid walls and therefor don't have a router, or signal booster, in practically every room )

Getting slower and slower as more and more people use it ( worldwide )......a bit like the M25

Yes I know a modern day BMW has more computing power that the old Apollo Spacecraft, but I wouldn't go to the moon in one and it wouldn't take a mechanic a week to tell me what was wrong with My spaceship...............Computers.......Bah Humbug !!

Message 1 of 53
See Most Recent
52 REPLIES 52

I think we probably do put too much trust in technology, Evo but we don't have much choice these days. Almost everything we do is linked to computers and the internet in some way or other.

I've possibly had all my personal details including DOB, bank account, national insurance number etc . hacked several times recently, once through my employers, and twice via Talk Talk.

And wasn't Ebay hacked recently aswell. I seem to remember having to change my passwords?

I worry that hospitals rely so much on computer technology aswell now for almost everything from record keeping, to computer assisted surgery.

What if the computer started malfunctioning in the middle of an operation or the North Koreans gained remote access and started controlling the robotic arms yikes!!

There's no going back now though, all this technology can't be uninvented can it?

Message 2 of 53
See Most Recent

Oh well, silly me, I should have known that chat about computers, didn't belong in the computers & computer chat section..........it belonged here.........mods know best.Smiley Indifferent

Message 3 of 53
See Most Recent

LOL maybe the mods are robots  Woman Wink

Message 4 of 53
See Most Recent

It wasn't a technical question requiring a helping answer.

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 5 of 53
See Most Recent

Oh well, as we're here and chatting about it; I do find it rather unsettling.  All nuclear Power Stations are computer controlled, that includes bringing them on line and running them up to full operating capability.  All our central Water supplies are computer controlled, as are the Plants that are putting whatever additives into the Water that are required.  All Bank accounts are computer controlled ( as we know only too well ).  All the major powers, that have a nuclear capability and advanced missile systems, have computers running all sequences of those systems ( including launch capabilities ). The traffic controls of all major cities are fully automated and computer controlled, as are all vehicle recognition and identification capabilities.............and the culprits of the latest TalkTalk computer hacking scandal, were two boys aged 15 & 16.  I'm not sure we're going to be able to keep ahead of the next generation of computer terrorists.

Message 6 of 53
See Most Recent

Thanks Mod. Smiley Very Happy

Message 7 of 53
See Most Recent

Comparing Mods to Robots on a thread about dysfunctional technology? Hmm I need to think about that one. 

I agree with Evo, technology is struggling, equipment promises much but gives up too quickly, Broadband services are rubbish and not competitive enough to provide service with value. In telecoms you now struggle to actually talk to a human being, press 1 for this or 2 for that. Web pages on your wide screen display are filled with off topic ads and information. Look something up on the net and the subect follows you wherever you go. The Police are demanding to be abe to study everyones browsing history. Your cellphone can be traced to within a few metres of where you are which is great if used properly but opens up a snoopers charter. Each time you download and accept terms and conditions you effectively give away much private information due to pre-ticked well hidden boxes which give permission to sell on your details. Unsubscribe and face a deluge of spam. Don't get me wrong there are many many advantages to be enjoyed but the fact that a child can hack the bank details of millions of people and that our potential enemies spend millions to develop forms of internet espionage suggests that a new direction is needed.

Message 8 of 53
See Most Recent

I remember about 2 year ago i went to doctore and there computer was down .

they could not make any appoinments and there was a doctor there with all the paper notes but because there was no computer he could not see any patients.

.................................................................................................................
Running away from your problems is a race you will never win.
Message 9 of 53
See Most Recent

and what's worrying, is that none of these people seem to have a plan B.  I know air traffic controllers go back to using the old card system, if their computers go down; but most others just shut shop.

Message 10 of 53
See Most Recent

"Thanks Mod. Smiley Very Happy"

That's OK, don't do it again. grin

Live long and prosper.

Message 11 of 53
See Most Recent

What is just as disturbing is what I heard on the radio today ! The police are going to ask (or already have) the government to pass a law that will allow them to monitor EVERYONES internet browsing.

Yes you will have people saying it is a good thing and others saying it is not and in my opinion even though I have nothing to hide I say it is NOT !

What has happened to giving people some privacy ?

1984 comes to mind, yes big brother is watching you.

Message 12 of 53
See Most Recent

OK, here's one for you. How safe is Paypal?

What I mean is, if somebody is smart enough to hack into MI5 or Police records, what's to stop them from

hacking into Paypal's records and using those files to create new files that they can use to buy dozens of laptops,

notebooks etc before moving on to a new adress.

Message 13 of 53
See Most Recent

@blackburn_stevie wrote:

What I mean is, if somebody is smart enough to hack into MI5 or Police records, what's to stop them from

hacking into Paypal's records and using those files to create new files that they can use to buy dozens of laptops,

https://www.google.co.uk/#q=has+paypal+ever+been+hacked ..yes it has..
......................................................................................................................................................................................................... .................Im a 76 year old Nutcase.. TOMMY LOVES YOU ALL. .. I'm a committed atheist.
Message 14 of 53
See Most Recent

@fallen-archie wrote:

Don't get me wrong there are many many advantages to be enjoyed but the fact that a child can hack the bank details of millions of people and that our potential enemies spend millions to develop forms of internet espionage suggests that a new direction is needed.

Maybe we should copy China and implement some kind of internet killswitch...just in case!

Message 15 of 53
See Most Recent

@blackburn_stevie wrote:

They don't need to do anything so clever, it's much easier to send out thousands of phishing emails, there will always be some that fall for them despite the fact they are easy to spot.

Since the Talk Talk hacking I've received four phone attempts at getting me to reveal personal information, they all got a flea in their ear.

I was going to lead the last one on a merry dance, unfortunately the person's accent was so bad I could hardly make out what they were saying, judging by the background noise there were quite a number of others busily looking for suckers.

I don't think there's any possibility of everyone's internet browsing being monitored but I do support the ability to monitor the history of the activities of some people.

There should be a quick way of tracking wrongdoers like these:-

http://news.sky.com/story/1579384/threats-to-**bleep**-mp-for-mens-debate-remark

Of course the silly auto monitor/correct has destroyed the link. You'll have to substitute the asterisks and bleep with the letters R for robert followed by APE.

Live long and prosper.

Message 17 of 53
See Most Recent

The Link worked fine for me, so who are you suggesting should be monitored in that particular case?

Message 18 of 53
See Most Recent

The people leaving threatening messages to or about her. Even if they have no intention of carrying them out, they're threatening.

Live long and prosper.

Message 19 of 53
See Most Recent

That sort of thing is very common on the internet and whilst I wouldn't for one moment condone it, a lot of so called men's rights activism is a reaction against militant feminism.

The sort of feminism that tries to get a man sacked by his employers because they don't agree with his point of view he makes in a You Tube video.