Why we "small traders" have nothing to fear from the "big boys"

Sold a book that had inadvertently gone to a charity shop and couldn't retrieve.  Apologised and told him I'd buy him another book and post it right up to him ASAP.  He was happy and replied that he could wait.

Did a lot of scouting round and found an identical book on the internet from a big book seller.  Bought it online and then sent him a polite request to have it posted direct to my seller as opposed to me.  No great hardship, surely.

Received a VERY blunt one line reply:

"Because we have a fast turnover of books we are unable to readdress orders.  Your item will be with you some time next week."  

How nice: (Roll eyes) on that basis I'm surprised they even had the time to reply to my email.  Too big to bother.  I'm not - I sold a ladies item on eBay where the buyer asked me to hold on to it for three weeks when a house move was complete.  Not only did I oblige, I wrapped it up in gift paper and included a small "Good luck in your new home" card, then wrapped them up in normal paper and sent them off.

No big deal on my part, but then I live by my signature: "Going the extra mile is standard."  THAT is how to get customers.  Man Very Happy

Message 1 of 5
See Most Recent
4 REPLIES 4

photo Teckie.gifhmm very nice of you to go the extra mile,but i think you have to go by the paypal address in order to be coverd should anything go wronge

thats why the other company would'nt send the book on

Petal
Message 2 of 5
See Most Recent

True, they might well be following the letter of the law, but they're certainly not following the spirit of it.  I'm going to have to post this book straight off to him after having taken out the invoice.  It'll only be an extra couple of pounds, but it could have saaved him an extra couple of days.  I did ask my original buyer not to leave me positive fedback due to the fact that I'd made an error, therefore positive feedback wouldn't be justified.  I'm quite hard with myself in that respect, but knowing him, he will probably leave me it anyway.

Message 3 of 5
See Most Recent

photo Teckie.gifThat Would Be Nice

Petal
Message 4 of 5
See Most Recent

Final Chapter 😄 (All's well that ends well).

Replacement book came through the post in record time so I posted it off to a very happy buyer, then while I was in town, strolled down to the  British Heart Foundation shop to make another donation.  Glanced at the books and there - you've guessed it, was the book I'd taken in in error!  It didn't matter.  The condition of the book he's getting as a replacement is even better than mine.  I bought it back - it all goes to a worthy cause, and relisted it as "Sell similar".  Who knows, somebody else might want it.

The other shop I patronise is CR (Cancer research).

Books and plates are a lot less hassle than puzzles.  I used to be a puzzle king with over 150 of them, but I'm now down to about forty.

Message 5 of 5
See Most Recent