What are you reading at the moment?

Tell us about the book which you're enjoying.  Why is it so enjoyable?  We all like different things so your impression of a book is helpful. 

I added many of the books, which were recommended on the previous thread, to my reading list, based on the poster's comments.

I've been having a crime-fest.  The most recent are ...

Scent of a Killer by Kevin Lewis - I don't really like Brit-cop books - too depressing - and this was no exception.  (What is it with British cops?)  However, apart from some mistakes which should never have got past a decent editor, it was very readable with a good, if meandery, storyline.

The HIdden Man by David Ellis - This author has been likened to John Grisham crossed with Harlen Coben.  Being a fan of both, I poo-pooed this idea.  That was, until I read the book.  How wrong I was!  It is a gripping, fast read and deserves the comparison.

"Write your Life Story and Publish it" .....

"Longdon Green, Farewell"....

"Use Google's Picasa for a Kindle, e-book, cover picture." ... on Hub Pages

Use quotation marks when searching.
Message 1 of 169
See Most Recent
168 REPLIES 168

Re: What are you reading at the moment?

A the moment the Peter F Hamilton's Nights dawn trioligy and then it will be the Blinding knife by Brent Weeks.

Message 2 of 169
See Most Recent

After just finishing the Games of Thrones books, which I would recommend to anyone. They are fantasy but the fantastical elements are pretty minimal, they read much more like a cracking political thriller combined with a historical epic.

I decided to go with some more political intrigue but in a historical setting this time and I'm about half way through I Claudius which I'm really enjoying as well.

I've also got Thunder and Ashes by Z A Recht on the go. It's a good fun Zombie thriller, not particulary well written and full of gaping plot holes but fun none the less.

Message 3 of 169
See Most Recent

can;t remember some wwii thing but i fancy it will not get beyond about chapter three.

did read fifty shades what a load of trash and not even particularly well written.   

Message 4 of 169
See Most Recent

Dean Koontz is one of my favourite authors - goodies are heart-warmingly good, baddies are really bad and the supernatural may appear at any time.

I've just bought the 4th Odd Thomas book - it was only when I read the reviews for the 5th book that I realised that I'd missed the 4th one.

'Odd Hours' arrived via Amazon (there's another no-no) for £2.47.  Very good condition - looks unread.

I've decided to re-read through the first 3 Odd Thomas books - it's been a few years - before I enjoy book 4 and wait for book 5 to appear at a price I can afford.

So, I'm reading Odd Thomas - beware the bogharts!

Message 5 of 169
See Most Recent

I am reading Diana Gabaldons, Through the stones, for the 3rd. time.. there is;  time travel,history,romance, a hunky Highlander,red indians,murder and mayhem...lol.. set firstly in 1945,jump to the Jacobean uprising... (won't tell you how.) best series of books i have ever read....

Message 6 of 169
See Most Recent

I am reading volume 3 of "The Indian Marriage Bureau for Rich People". If you like Alexander Mc Call Smith, it's along the same type of narrative.

I am French but love reading stories set in India so this is a wonderful series 🙂

Message 7 of 169
See Most Recent

way India? 

Message 8 of 169
See Most Recent

Why India?

I think it is a fascinating country with such a rich culture!

Message 9 of 169
See Most Recent

I was fascinated with Japanese culture, still am a little 

Message 10 of 169
See Most Recent

Oh yes, the koi fish and beautiful gardens etc 🙂

Message 11 of 169
See Most Recent

😄 more than that 

Message 12 of 169
See Most Recent

Lots of new authors to list - thanks, folks.

I've just chucked James Herbert's, 'Fluke', in the recycle bin but am quite enjoying his, 'Others'.

[I bought a 70-book bundle on eBay for £10 - King, Koontz, Herbert and others.  Slowly working my way through them.]

Message 13 of 169
See Most Recent

Oh I love Fluke! It's so different to his usual stuff. Had it been published under a nom de plume I'm sure it would have been a very popular book for readers of animal stories.

Message 14 of 169
See Most Recent

[/quote]

Oh I love Fluke! It's so different to his usual stuff. Had it been published under a nom de plume I'm sure it would have been a very popular book for readers of animal stories.

[/quote]

It didn't really go in the recycle bin.  I read a few pages and relegated it to the boot-sale pile in the spare bedroom!  Maybe I should give it another go. 

But I do find Herbert very skimmable - so much unnecessary bumph.  'Others' was a good story but, for me, it could have been told in half the time.  At 500 pages there was far too much self-indulgent padding.

Spurred on by the release of the film, I'm about to start reading  'Life of Pi'.

Message 15 of 169
See Most Recent

But I do find Herbert very skimmable - so much unnecessary bumph.  'Others' was a good story but, for me, it could have been told in half the time.  At 500 pages there was far too much self-indulgent padding.

I think they all do it!  With rare exceptions, if you take any popular author's output and stack them in size order, you'll find they're also (mostly) in copyright date order. In SF Asimov, Clarke and Heinlein all did it, and more recently Peter Hamilton. In horror James Herbert, Shaun Hutson and Stephen King. In crime fiction Patricia Cornwell and Sue Grafton. The worst culprit in my view is Stephen King. Why use a short paragraph when 3 pages will up the word count?!

Even the wonderful can-do-no-wrong Dean Koontz is guilty!

Message 16 of 169
See Most Recent

Gosh, Bernie (if you're not Bernie, I apologise), that has really got me thinking.  I used to read every word of every book, only skimming in recent years with the realisation that, at my age, you can't waste time reading boring padding.

But sometimes the padding is worth reading.  I really enjoy Dean Koontz's narrative style - he draws wonderful pictures.  Maybe I've missed some of his more recent offerings, apart from the Odd Thomas books.

As for the SF authors - I read every word and didn't feel cheated but  I gave up on Stephen King a long time ago.

I am now going to restack my library, by author and then by size so that I can check the hypothesis. 😉

Message 17 of 169
See Most Recent

No apology needed, I am indeed Bernie, it's nice to be remembered :-x

Not visiting family until tomorrow so that's why I'm here on the boards on Christmas day!

I gave up on Stephen King a long time ago.

I'm glad I'm not the only one!

But sometimes the padding is worth reading.  I really enjoy Dean Koontz's narrative style - he draws wonderful pictures.  Maybe I've missed some of his more recent offerings, apart from the Odd Thomas books.

On reflection, I think I probably did him a disservice. Yes his output did get bigger and bigger, but I agree with the wonderful pictures. My favourite at the moment is From the Corner of His Eye (2000), and that's REALLY wordy!

I am now going to restack my library, by author 

Oh I'm so jealous, I wish my library was still on shelves! If it's not in author order already then what order is it in? Mine was in author order and I can't imagine any other way of doing it. When I packed up for the boat I randomised it, which means it's an adventure every time I open a box 🙂  But it also means I haven't a clue where anything actually IS unless it's been listed already 😞

and then by size so that I can check the hypothesis.

I'd love to know if you agree with me!

Message 18 of 169
See Most Recent

I gave up on Stephen King a long time ago.

I'm glad I'm not the only one!

But I've still got a shelf-ful of Stephen King from the 70-book bundle which I mentioned, above.  I'm going to have to read some of them, as long as that Tower isn't mentioned.

Dean Koontz, again.  My all-time favourites are the Moonlight Bay books - Fear Nothing and Seize the Night.

I was joking about restacking my library - but I think it would be a futile exercise with my books.  Only Anne McCaffrey and her ilk, who don't pad out their books, and those 'horror' writers we have mentioned, are present in enough quantity to test the hypothesis.  I don't think Georgette Heyer and Mary Stewart count - where did writers of that ilk go?

However, Mr Bee's library has many of just one author - Tom Clancy.  When I get around to it I'll pull all 22 from the shelves and check the page length.

I am intrigued by the Life of Pi - it's much better than I expected from  Man Booker winner.

I forgot to say that I thoroughly enjoyed A Streetcat Named Bob, which enjoyed media fame because it was PC to like it.  It is an interesting tale, well told by a ghost writer (who gets credit - how refreshing), about a street busker who is adopted by a remarkable cat.

Message 19 of 169
See Most Recent

Have just finished Morgue Drawer Four by Jutta Profijit and started the second in the series Morgue Drawer Next Door, mystery stories with a slight difference - guess a bit like the old tv series Randall and Hopkirk idea.

Photobucket
Message 20 of 169
See Most Recent