DO YOU HAVE A BOOK QUESTION?

Hi all, pippy_oak here, posting under my brand new user name. Hopefully, Richard will pin this thread, as it seems a nice tidy place to pose specific questions about a book (Is it a 1st edition, what's it worth, where to find it etc. etc.) Don't just come here with a question. If you think you have the answer, then let's hear it.

Or we could just mooch around and learn a few things.

Cheers

Paul

Message 1 of 1,680
See Most Recent
1,679 REPLIES 1,679

Thanks, Chris. Yes, the holiday was brilliant. A week in Cyprus. Temperatures in the 70's all day every day and never saw a cloud. Not bad for the 2nd week in November. It will certainly make the winter seem shorter.

Only problem is, I need to get in gear and start selling again!

Message 81 of 1,680
See Most Recent

Er, Guy Compton, anyone?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Whomever you may murder, there's no police like Holmes.
Σ Ψ Δ
σ ψ δ
Message 82 of 1,680
See Most Recent

sigmapsi,

apologies for missing your post, I have had no luck in locating this book. Have you thought of posting on the 'want it now' section, though saying that I have had two items on there for 4 months and have not heard anything.

As for the uncorrected proofs, have you considered contacting publishers directly? I assume that this is where people will get them from, its the same as signed firsts on the day of a books release, they must come direct from the publisher.

Glad you had a good holiday Paul, we are just back to wet and cold in Scotland, it annoys me that everywhere else is getting snow and we aren't, I love the snow!!

Chris
Message 83 of 1,680
See Most Recent

Thanks anyway. I tried on 'Want it Now' but I think its been there longer than yours.

Most bibliographies I've come across refuse to admit that the book even exists.

And I will try contacting publishers about those proofs. But I doubt there'll be any mileage in it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Whomever you may murder, there's no police like Holmes.
Σ Ψ Δ
σ ψ δ
Message 84 of 1,680
See Most Recent

020970lady
hiya all readers news is small magazine with the (Invasion that got cold feet) specially written for readers news by peter fleming (readers news august 1958.21st year . volume 21. no.3 (whole number 250)printed by the aldine press, letch herts thanks cath
Message 85 of 1,680
See Most Recent

Oh wow!

Hi all 🙂 I wandered in here to pass the time and naturally gravitated towards this Room... I'm a Book Hoarder - can't bear to part with any book that I have enjoyed (which is most of them lol) and consequently have a house filled with bookcases and an attic full of boxes. Anyway - thanks to this thread I have found Addall, and in consequence discovered that I am sitting on a treasure trove, from a 1920's copy of The Waterbabies to ordinary paperbacks of Arthur Ransome, and a huge range in between ... Thanks Guys!!! 😄

The only problem is, if I unpack them all, then I will have to read them all again and then will not want to sell them LOL
Message 86 of 1,680
See Most Recent

You're very welcome!!!!

Please hang around.

Message 87 of 1,680
See Most Recent

Thank You 🙂

And I certainly will!
Message 88 of 1,680
See Most Recent

cotton.tail
Hi, Im trying to find some info on another book from tha attic. Its "Tales from Boccaccio" published by Bentley. It doesnt have any dates or edition number in it, but it does have "Bentley 1847" at the bottom of the spine. I have looked on ABE and done a search on the internet, but I cant find anything. Has anybody heard of it? Many thanks, Sarah
Message 89 of 1,680
See Most Recent

The Decameron of Boccaccio has been published by numerous publishers over the centuries. I suspect you have a reprint by a publisher who, I know, has reprinted many titles whose first appearance were under another imprint.

It is a nice, early victorian edition. If 1847 is right.

You may have to value it yourself. What is it worth to you? Then put it on eBay at that figure and find out if its worth more to someone else. At least that way you'll get what you expected.
Σ Ψ Δ
σ ψ δ
Message 90 of 1,680
See Most Recent

cotton.tail
Thanks Steve, I value it at 1p. 🙂 I wish this date thing was easier to work out tho. I will put the date it says on the bottom of the spine in the listing, but I will leave publication date blank as I haven't the fogiest if the date on the spine is the publication year. It isnt in great condition and for some reason some of the pages are shorter than others - it wouldnt have been sold like this surely. The spine has some cracks too 😞 . Never mind I will give it a go. Thanks again Steve, Sarah
Message 91 of 1,680
See Most Recent

cotton.tail
Oops silly me. Just checked its 1846 on the spine not 1847! Should have stayed in bed I think. There is one of those on ABE with a piccy and the front looks the same as this one. On the description of the one on ABE it says it is a first edition, I wonder if mine is the same then. How on earth can they tell ?:|
Message 92 of 1,680
See Most Recent

Next time you check a book on ABE try using just author and title to begin with, perhaps going for 'highest price first' then check the list for something like what you have.

I've noticed that using the dates part can often show no result when there is a copy in there somewhere. For the search to find every detail input into it the seller has to have listed all those things in his description. They get lazy and miss things. So start simple and tighten up the search as you go by increments.

If a seller is saying the 1847 is the first edition he may mean it is the first 'Bentley' edition.

And the odd page sizes - well, the manufacturing technology is a little better these days. It isn't a fault in your book, just victorian technology. Pages often had uncut edges (you had to cut them if you wanted to read them) and some American books are still published with that 'uncut' effect, though the pages are usually seperated these days.

Sounds like you've got a treasure mine there. Keep digging.
Σ Ψ Δ
σ ψ δ
Message 93 of 1,680
See Most Recent

cotton.tail
Thanks Steve. I thought my ancestors had cut pieces off the bottoms :-D. Its a shame they have been up a dusty old attic for all these years gathering dust. I think I need to do a bit of research into the way I list things too. I had a science microscope book on (on my other id - sjane06) which didnt sell, listed it again and it still didnt sell at £2.00. Yet I found one on ebay which has 5 more days to go and is at £5.50! Given up trying to sell that one so its going back in a box. 🙂
Message 94 of 1,680
See Most Recent

cotton.tail
(Oops, that one was on for £3.50 not £2.00, the other microscope one was £2.00) 🙂
Message 95 of 1,680
See Most Recent

cotton.tail
Ignore last one. Im getting really confused - it was £2.00! :^O These books are driving me nuts. Time for a cup of tea I think.
Message 96 of 1,680
See Most Recent

See if you can find 'Savona Books' on Google. He collects and deals in books on microscopes and microphotography. If its of any age he'll probably be interested.
Σ Ψ Δ
σ ψ δ
Message 97 of 1,680
See Most Recent

Good evening, folks.

I have a tome I just can't put a price on.

When the Bells Rang by Anthony Armstrong and Bruce Graeme.

Published by Harrap in 1943. My copy is a second impression, but it does have a reasonable wrapper with contemporary artwork.

Been looking a while now, but I'm obviously not looking in the right places. No-one on ABE has a copy for sale.
Σ Ψ Δ
σ ψ δ
Message 98 of 1,680
See Most Recent

Where did Manor House go?

Like a policeman - somewhere else when ya need 'em!

and clues on Post 97?
Σ Ψ Δ
σ ψ δ
Message 99 of 1,680
See Most Recent

When I have nothing constructive to say, I usually keep quiet, rather than fill the vacuum.

I did have a look at your book (about a successful Nazi invasion of Britain, I believe), and couldn't find any anywhere for sale. There are a lot of references to it on Google, which tells me it is sought after.

My guess is that it would sell well.

Message 100 of 1,680
See Most Recent