eBay keeps requesting password nearly every time I click on something!

irt303
Conversationalist

This has been happening all day, and it's infuriating - I just wondered if anyone else is having similar issues.

I'm trying to navigate around my selling pages, but nearly every time I click on an option eBay signs me out and takes me to the log-in screen (usually the password entry page, but sometimes the username/email address entry page as well). It's incredibly frustrating, and I am concerned that all of these log-ins within a short space of time (often requiring SMS/email verification with the 6-digit code) look suspicious to eBay - even though the issue seems to be with them.

I've completely cleared my cookies and cache, but that hasn't helped.

The problem is preventing me from accessing some pages completely, as when I am forced out, and have to log back in, I end up back on the page containing the option I selected, rather than the page linked to. I hope that makes sense.

This issue is making eBay unusable to all intents and purposes.

I've just made a sale while typing this, too, so I'm anticipating problems fulfilling that.

Just to add, this is on the desktop site, running in Firefox. I haven't yet checked the mobile site, but I tend not to use that as much, specially when it comes to selling, as it seems to have fewer features than the desktop version.

If anyone else is having similar problems, or has any suggestions, I'd be grateful to hear from you.

Message 1 of 13
See Most Recent
12 REPLIES 12

A corrupt browser cookie might cause sign-in issues.

Do you run into the same issue if you use a different browser?

If not, try manually erasing just your eBay cookies; deleting all cookies may not work if a cookie is corrupt or blocked.

If the problem occurs when using multiple browsers, then you may want to look at network issues as a possibility. If you are using a hotspot or a VPN, this can cause issues, as can certain privacy software such as Ghostery or Disconnect, depending on the exact settings you use.

Message 2 of 13
See Most Recent

@eburtonlab- Many thanks for your reply.

I've tried Chrome as well as Firefox, but am having the same problem.

I've manally deleted my eBay cookies, but the issue persists.

I'm not using a hotspot or a VPN.

I do use Ghostery, but have done for years.

Not sure what else I can do. I can't see 'customer service' being of any help, if previous interactions are anything to go by.

Message 3 of 13
See Most Recent

irt303
Conversationalist

I've also deleted all temporary internet files, and rebooted my PC, but still keep getting logged out.

The problem occurs when I click on 'Payments' on my Account Overview page, and some other pages related to selling, e.g. when I click on 'View' to see a transaction breakdown. I am unable to see the breakdown because, when I've logged back in, I'm on the same page as before, i.e. the one I was on when I clicked 'View'.

I'd be very grateful for any other suggestions, as this issue is preventing me from accessing pages, and I'm concerned that all the sign-ins will flag up as suspicious account activity. Thanks.

Message 4 of 13
See Most Recent

What happens if you temporarily disable Ghostery?

Message 5 of 13
See Most Recent

@eburtonlab- Hello again. I did try with Ghostery disabled (sorry, I forgot to mention that), but the problem persists. I don't know whether to just sit it out, and hope that the problem disappears, or brace myself for a day of frustration trying (probably without success) to get it resolved with 'customer service'.

Message 6 of 13
See Most Recent

Others have been running into similar problems lately, so you are definitely not alone. Though not everyone is experiencing this problem, so there may be something you can do to avoid it.

Try using a private or incognito browser window to see if that helps.

Message 7 of 13
See Most Recent

I've been asked for my password more often than normal in the last 3 or 4 days.

I've not changed anything and have the stay logged in box ticked.

It even wants my password when I switch tabs to the forum when previously it hardly bothered.

Message 8 of 13
See Most Recent

It has bee doing it to me, I just entered my password 12 times and ut keep asking again. I switched from Safari to Firefox and it accepted it first time. 

Not sure if that is a fix but it just worked for me.

Mark
markflorida
smaller pic
Message 9 of 13
See Most Recent

I have had the same problem for two days. I have changed my password that many times I have forgotten what it is!!!.

Ebay are sending me a text to confirm my mobile number with a code and then accept it is myself is in contact.

Change password, accepts password has been changed, try to log in, and whole process stats again.

However it still sends to my email account items about to finish.

Thinks I am in USA as wont accept 0044 as the start of my phone number.

pcurtis01

Message 10 of 13
See Most Recent

I sign in comepleatly fine into any browser, however everytime i try to go into payment summary or anything that requres another sign in theres a continuous  loop of signing in and never gettign to the page i want, i tried everything that has been mentioned so far but nothing worked, i use apple id to log into my ebay and i think thats the problem.

Message 11 of 13
See Most Recent

I have accessed an assessment of a transaction fee. Since then I am constantly being asked to sign in to my account even to simply browse ebay. Has anyone found a solution or is this the new standard for ebay? 

Message 12 of 13
See Most Recent

I have spoken to eBay about this. It is a saftey feature and although they know how annoying it is for us, they say it is to protect us. Unfortunatly some sellers move from eBay to another site or another window open and then they get hacked. So eBay impliment these safety features.

Yes its seems crazy, you can do many thing, ship, list ect but if you need to print out an invoice you need to log inagain. 

I have no just got used to it and thinks its best to be safe than sorry.

Mark
markflorida
smaller pic
Message 13 of 13
See Most Recent
Got technical related questions? Start here: