A customer Returned item, I refunded but case wont close

I sent an item, and customer opened a return almost moments after tracking said she received it. 
She claimed item was not as described, as it was 'Way smaller than in picture' 
She clearly didnt read the description which gives the measurements - Didnt make any contact with me either 

She went by a photo (Like you can tell the size of something by a photo) 
Anyway, because it was an item not as described case, the return postage was charged to my account (£3.11) 

I received the item, before taking out of the packaging, I measured it, took photos, and added these photos to the return notes. Proving that the item was exactly as described. 
My suspicion was that she wanted it in time for Christmas but had ordered it WAY too late ! 
Anyway, I refunded her less £2, as I was able to deduct a percentage of the total amount to recoup the initial postage cost for us to send it to her (Our items are free post so we cover the postage) 

So refund complete, eBay spoken to and have promised to refund the £3.11 return post due to my proof and my seller protection. 
Should be case closed, but despite all possible action taken, it is still open and the status says 'Awaiting customer to confirm refund' 
(I wont hold my breath for this from eBay to be honest, as I was told I would get an email to confirm, but didnt) 

She doesnt need to confirm it surely, my paypal says the refund is complete, she has the refund, surely that should be it?

Any ideas how to close this case please? 

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Buyer can still escalate to ebay, you are not allowed to make deductions, Free Postage makes not a scrap of difference, the buyer is entitled to a FULL refund.

Case cannot close as you have not completed the case, and of course you will not get the selling fee refunded,so for the sake of £2, you are still paying the fee.

Ebay CS will tell you what you want to hear, but I doubt that you will get a penny  of the return postage back.

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Ebay CS talk absolute rubbish sometimes, they really do. And some will say anything just to get you off the phone!

The case won't close because you haven't refunded the buyer in full. When the buyer escalates the case to Ebay, which they can do after 8 full days, they will be refunded in full, and you will get a damaging defect slapped on your account for failing to refund in full voluntarily, and as you effectively agreed to do when registering your account.

You have to refund a buyer in full, regardless of the reason for return. It's the law. And as you're a business seller, you have to accept returns for any reason.

If a buyer falsely claims NAD in order to force you to pay the return costs, Ebay can't help you - they have no idea what you actually sent or what the buyer actually received as they weren't present, so they have to ensure the buyer is refunded in full, one way or another, as per their Money Back Guarantee. They can't get involved in arguments, as only a judge can decide if a buyer is a liar or scammer.  All you can do, once you've refunded the buyer in full, is to report them to Ebay, via the 'report' link on your 'leave feedback' page, for abusing the MBG. A few of those from different sellers, and their account will soon be toast.

Your only recourse is to send the buyer a PayPal invoice, with a deadline to pay by or you'll be reporting them to Action Fraud and taking legal action to recover your money plus all court and other costs. If no payment is received by the deadline, send them a before action letter by Signed For post, with a deadline and, again, telling them what will happen if they don't pay by that date. And if they still don't pay (unlikely, as this is usually enough to put the fear of god onto small-time scammers), take 'em to Small Claims court if you wish. Easy to do, and the process can be started online.

@perryswoodcraft 

No, your items are not free post....it means that the cost of postage is included.

she is entitled to full amount that she paid....so it means that the refund is not complete and certainly'not it', especially if she contacts eBay who are more than likely to refund the full amount at your expense and you will have a damaging defect slapped on your account too.

plpmr
Experienced Mentor

adding to john1297576  good advice -

As you are a registered business seller you have to refund all the buyer paid you by law.

So although eBay encourage us to do "free postage" this is the downside