Seller's Beware !! No protection for sellers !!

Sellers have no protection on eBay ... Something must be done

OK so this is my experience.... Been an eBay member for 19 years.

Have sold many items and have excellent feedback rating.

Sold iPhone 11 Pro, after a few days return request received stating Box was empty. I looked at buyers account only opened in August 2021 with 3 feedbacks. I could clearly see this was a scam... I looked on google maps and saw that the address was not apartments but an industrial site. So, I was confident that eBay would take all aspects into consideration and close the request in my favour.... Boy was I wrong.

They put a hold on my funds £485 and refunded the customer. when I called eBay to appeal the gentleman just said "we can’t do nothing". No investigating no common sense no passion to stop crime or protect sellers. He advised the buyer had sent in a police ref number (which you can get in 5 mins online) and that was the end of it. I explained to him that anyone could order a phone, get a crime ref number and say the box was empty... His response was "yes they could".

He tried to pass the buck onto the shipping company but looking at the photos of proof of delivery the package was as sent.

So, I Have a few questions and suggestion.

If anyone can help me how to get this investigated further internally or externally via regulator?

After looking for help online there seems to be hundreds if not thousands of posts regarding sellers that have been scammed. This is not acceptable and I believe action needs to be taken. As a collective much can be done, it’s not a matter of closing our accounts but rather ensuring eBay has policy in place to protect sellers.

One simple suggestion would be to send orders of considerable value to a service centre for new buyers or buyers with low feedback. The item could be checked securely sealed by eBay and sent to buyer. I know not everyone is a scammer but recently it has been getting out of control.

As I mentioned as a collective much can be done so may start an online petition, highlight on media or something along the lines.

The worst thing is I called my network provided who said they can’t block the phone as not brought directly from them, called apple they said they can’t block the phone either... So, the buyer has a free phone!!!

I took take the hit of £485, but for many people that could be life changing in this day and age. If someone was selling that phone because the needed that money for an emergency and this happened to them could put someone in a very dark place mentally and financially.  

Message 1 of 54
See Most Recent
53 REPLIES 53

Re: Seller's Beware !! No protection for sellers !!

In your scenario, the seller woudl be gone in no time as buyers can leave feedback warning others and ebay woudl take action after more than one complaint was made.

Sellers can get ripped off time and time again by different buyers. They cannot even leave feedback warning other sellers.

Message 41 of 54
See Most Recent

Only if the items are brand new and sold as such. Even then it is not a clear cut. 

Message 42 of 54
See Most Recent

Not sure what you are responding to but the difference between private and business activities is very clear cut.  Business selling also covers used goods.

Message 43 of 54
See Most Recent

I have just had a similar thing i sent a brand new necklace the buyer said it was rusty with a knot in it but it was not. Ebay said i had to give the refund then i could appeal i waited for the necklace to return i think the buyer thought i would refund straight away so he could keep the necklace. He sent picks it looked like he had wrapped the chain around itself but there was no rust ebay could have clearly seen if they had looked at the photos. When it came back i video me openibg it he has tied a knot in it but there was clearly no rust now i have to pay to get it professionally undone if it cant be i have lost my investment. As for getting my money back itshard to get them to tak and they put my funds on hold till its paid back. When they do answer they just say you have to pay. It really is not right at all. It makes me feel ripped off and worried to sell the rest of my item. I am not happy at all.

Message 44 of 54
See Most Recent

How do you write to ebay? I just get sent round in circles by the chatbot!!

Message 45 of 54
See Most Recent

It doesnt matter if you can afford to lose something small things add up

Message 46 of 54
See Most Recent

Do a search on the Internet. There should be a head office address in Dublin Republic of Ireland I believe.
Message 47 of 54
See Most Recent

Ok thanks will do.

Message 48 of 54
See Most Recent

Totally get your point. I've been scammed today. Sold a turntable and miraculously the plug had been dismantled in transit. As if! So the buyer is simply going to swap out components for his broken ones and send my turntable back. Broken. 
I feel the only option is to stop selling electrical items on eBay. Only sell simple things of low value.

Message 49 of 54
See Most Recent

I stopped selling here when covid raised it's ugly head.

I got deeply depressed for a while thinking it was the end of my world after 17 years of doing so well.

I found another way after 3 months and i do better via that avenue on a daily basis ,totally stressless !!.

Message 50 of 54
See Most Recent

They have become a joke. To think that it's the sellers who pay eBay salaries, they get treated like mud! 
if anyone ever wishes to expose them and their foney "authenticity guarantee" let me know. I will support.

Message 51 of 54
See Most Recent

Totally missing the point that the seller has honestly sold an item and eBay fail to support in any way or form. 

Message 52 of 54
See Most Recent

Simple recorded delivers shows full contents, video evidence and this option to upload to eBay of you boxing and supplying a sealed item. It's simple, eBay in short do not care to support sellers.

i personally have used eBay's global shipping to supply items, from this eBay post my item tracked abroad, brilliant, tracking shows they recieved my item and sent, this year so far I've had 3 none receipt going overseas via eBay's tracked global shipping, all show eBay recieved my item and dispatched, yet buyer claims none receipt and eBay say though I supplied them the item to shop I'm at fault for them not receiving and refunded the buyer. I'm down £75 here for this, eBay do not support sellers in any way shape or form, it's disgusting 

Message 53 of 54
See Most Recent

Video evidence proves nothing except an item being packed, it does not prove what was sent etc.

Regarding Global, all a seller has to prove is that the item was received at the Global UK hub, after that Global are responsible [not the seller] for any loss and, or damage in transit.

Message 54 of 54
See Most Recent
Got selling tools related questions? Start here: