think I am being scammed

I sold a silver Albert chain and sent it special delivery yesterday , the buyer got in touch today  and said there  was nothing in the package and wants his money back. I know it was in the package and looking on line the package is intact and you can see the bulge were the item is. I have been with ebay 19 years and this is the first time this as happened. He as since got intouch with ebay to say that he wants to return the item which obviously will just be the empty package. I have said that I am going to dispute it. The thing is I don't know how I stand

Message 1 of 25
See Most Recent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

think I am being scammed

Ive had this before - my buyer opened a case sent me a staged image of an empty box, and I called ebay and they said I should agree to them returning the " empty" packaging and then call them when it arrives and they will look into the matter but will refund me the cost of the return so I wasnt out of extra money. 

If your buyer hasnt opened a case ask them to do that to "formalise" the proceedure and Ebay will then step in to assist, ask them to upload pics of the empty packaging and you will then accept the return and they need to then put the empty packaging into a box and return to you - Sounds daft but if they are genuine they will and if you need to claim genuinely from RM it will help also 

I pointed out to the buyer also that this would be reported to action fraud to open up a formal enquiry with the police and couriers to be investigated (which you can do also) also adding that there communications and returned evidence will be shared with them too.  In my case the buyer closed the case an hour later (clearly called their bluff) and I blocked them and reported to ebay (go to help pages and report buyer)  but if they proceed then do not refund immediately ask them to do this and report to the courier and action fraud and call ebay when the packaging is returned - Good luck

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 25
See Most Recent
24 REPLIES 24

think I am being scammed

A common scam, I'm afraid which is why it is so risky selling anything valuable on eBay these days. It will probably turn out to be their word against yours and, without concrete evidence (so to speak), they will probably win. Of course, if not a scam, it could have been stolen by the postman/sorting office. You'd also have difficulty taking action against him/her without any evidence.

Message 2 of 25
See Most Recent

think I am being scammed

If you sent this RMSD - then I'm guessing you have the right to suggest that they should make the claim with Royal Mail? If so, say that Royal Mail will clearly investigate the theft of the item as its a criminal matter - that might scare them.

Also - the weight of the item will be shown on your receipt - which goes some way to showing it left you with something in the envelope - so must have been lost or stolen in transit.

Hope that helps some way.

Message 3 of 25
See Most Recent

think I am being scammed

@pamela1773 wrote:

I sold a silver Albert chain and sent it special delivery yesterday , the buyer got in touch today  and said there  was nothing in the package and wants his money back. 

Was this only communicated via an eBay message (i.e. no case was opened)?

@pamela1773 wrote:

He as since got intouch with ebay to say that he wants to return the item 

I'm assuming this is an eBay case. What specific reason did the buyer select for opening the case? It will be at the end of a sentence like "Your buyer wants to return this item because..." or "Your buyer has opened a dispute because..." 

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Message 4 of 25
See Most Recent

think I am being scammed

He said items missing

Message 5 of 25
See Most Recent

think I am being scammed

I am not a business seller. I am a OAP with items to sell

Message 6 of 25
See Most Recent

think I am being scammed

Ive had this before - my buyer opened a case sent me a staged image of an empty box, and I called ebay and they said I should agree to them returning the " empty" packaging and then call them when it arrives and they will look into the matter but will refund me the cost of the return so I wasnt out of extra money. 

If your buyer hasnt opened a case ask them to do that to "formalise" the proceedure and Ebay will then step in to assist, ask them to upload pics of the empty packaging and you will then accept the return and they need to then put the empty packaging into a box and return to you - Sounds daft but if they are genuine they will and if you need to claim genuinely from RM it will help also 

I pointed out to the buyer also that this would be reported to action fraud to open up a formal enquiry with the police and couriers to be investigated (which you can do also) also adding that there communications and returned evidence will be shared with them too.  In my case the buyer closed the case an hour later (clearly called their bluff) and I blocked them and reported to ebay (go to help pages and report buyer)  but if they proceed then do not refund immediately ask them to do this and report to the courier and action fraud and call ebay when the packaging is returned - Good luck

Message 7 of 25
See Most Recent

think I am being scammed

Good Evening Pamela

A terrible and upsetting situation for you. Just a couple of points in the sale listing particulars,see postage details, you say that the item will be posted ''signed for' but in your opening post you specify that you sent it special delivery.  If it was sent SF and Royal Mail accept a claim then I was under the impression that the maximum payout would be £50.00.

I would certainly lodge a claim and take it from there. One of my other points is that surely your buyer should have opened a case for not received as opposed to item not as described. if this is the case couldn't you argue the fact that the claim should be rejected as they opened the wrong case?

Finally I think that I would be tempted to change my trading name. People may try and take advantage of you knowing that you are a woman.  Lose the word Pamela. 

Sorry to hear about the problem and good luck in trying to resolve it.

Message 8 of 25
See Most Recent

think I am being scammed

The buyer opened the right case, they received something,  they say an empty envelope, so it's an item not as described claim they need to make.

Not received claims are when nothing is received at all.

Message 9 of 25
See Most Recent

think I am being scammed

i may add if they send all the evidence back etc and you have to refund then proceed with a claim with RM as you sent it special delivery so you wont be out of pocket.

Message 10 of 25
See Most Recent

think I am being scammed

Finally I think that I would be tempted to change my trading name. People may try and take advantage of you knowing that you are a woman.  Lose the word Pamela

I second that as a woman trader, ive had to change mine to my initials on my business info as ive been called "stupid woman" etc when they dont get what they want and i know they wouldnt dare call me a "stupid man" or take advantage if they thought for one minute i wasnt a woman. And it suggests youre an older woman (I maybe wrong of course)  that could be easily intimidated... its all about perceptions so id second that😉

Message 11 of 25
See Most Recent

think I am being scammed

7800 feedbacks & 8.4 K items sold? Methinks not.

Message 12 of 25
See Most Recent

think I am being scammed

to be fair she has been a member since 2005 and only sold 85 this past year.... (perhaps previous years have been business) 

Message 13 of 25
See Most Recent

think I am being scammed

Would like to add an update to anyone following this link. I had an email from buyer today to say that the postman found the chain  in the back of his van. How it could have fallen out of a doubled over  thick velvet pouch inside a padded envelope that was double cellotaped where it is sealed is beyond me. He has closed the case now and I am trying to get negative feedback removed. Thanks for all the help

Message 14 of 25
See Most Recent

think I am being scammed

A cynical person might imagine it was the threat of police action and fraud investigation that made the item suddenly turn up 

I have seen items magically turn up numerous times once buyers are told their claim will be investigated....

I wonder if he postmans story would support what the buyer told you....

Message 15 of 25
See Most Recent

think I am being scammed

im guessing this was after you informed them of what to do from my advice? 

And the post man amazingly remembered which house he delivered one of his many special deliveries that day package to, knowing exactly what was inside and who it belonged to.... oh ok🤣

Also go to help pages and "report buyer" theyll do it again to others so more logs of their ID the better

if the buyer wont remove the neutral then try appeal under the help pages 

click feedback removal req

Message 16 of 25
See Most Recent

think I am being scammed

Pleased you came out of this ok. It's difficult when this happens as there are clearly plenty of crooks out there looking for an opportunity. Some years ago I was on the receiving end of receiving an empty envelope which should have contained a €50 note - it was sealed and empty. The seller insisted it was there when it left them, I opened a case 'not as described' - the correct way to describe the case and I got my money back. It was the reverse of your case, I was being scammed as a buyer. Problem was I was always worried as a seller thinking they would come back for retribution at a later date. Be aware of that one, sometimes bitter losers can want the final say.

Message 17 of 25
See Most Recent

think I am being scammed

My thoughts exactly, postman finds an item in the back of a van and he knows exactly whefe it should have gone........... Yeah right!!

Message 18 of 25
See Most Recent

think I am being scammed

He said he mentioned it to the his postman the next day and the postman went to look in his van and found it. He also said he has the conversation he had with the postmanrecorded  on ring. Really got me puzzled.

Message 19 of 25
See Most Recent

think I am being scammed

Small items don't get put loose in a van, they go in a bag, and you would have expected the postman to notice the packaging was damaged.  That all sounds highly impobable but not impossible. 

Message 20 of 25
See Most Recent
Got selling related questions? Start here: