Why don't buyers bother to leave feedback anymore? Is it just lazyness!

From my recent sales only 1 in every 10 sales a buyer will bother to leave feedback. Is this a worldwide trend as people become lazy, maybe sellers should also stop leaving feedback. Feedback used to be a way of seeing trust in a seller so what has happened?

Message 1 of 37
See Most Recent
36 REPLIES 36

If you read the 100's of other recent posts you will see there is a major fault with the feedback system at the moment that's been going on for over a week.

Some members can't leave feedback ,receive it or view it.

Message 2 of 37
See Most Recent

Given that eBay have an incurable addiction to f*bleep*king over of so many different aspects of the site, more recently including the Leave Feedback option, not to mention the Paid, Feedback Received and Feedback Left icons, amongst others, I'd say that the end result is that the vast majority of users have become so sick of eBay changing things without producing any significant improvements - and often only exacerbating existing problems or creating new problems that didn't exist previously - that they've now reached the point where they just can't be bothered to leave feedback anymore as it simply isn't worth the aggravation.  Not all buyers and sellers fall under this category, of course, but there are a lot who do, and therefore that's likely to be having a noticeable impact in the sharp decline in feedback received compared to how often you previously received feedback before these badly thought out changes were imposed upon us.  eBay is not changing for the better and it hasn't done so for a very long time now, so don't expect to see a sudden surge in receipt of feedback anytime soon.

Message 3 of 37
See Most Recent

It is a general trend I think. I have sold 10 items on depop and have received just 1 feedback review.

If anything, it seems to be a bit better on eBay (although still really low compared to a few years ago), as there are more mature buyers that have been used to doing it historically. 

Message 4 of 37
See Most Recent

Feedback fatigue probably.  I sometimes feel hounded to rate every interaction I have. 

Hard Times Require Furious Dancing!

Message 5 of 37
See Most Recent

When I used to buy more frequently on eBay I found leaving feedback was a good way of personally reminding myself what had arrived. I could scan through my purchases and see what feedback was outstanding as a way of not forgetting if anything hadn't turned up as it's easy to overlook when buying regularly. 

The way it is going with fewer buyers leaving it these days, I expect an auto-feedback system may come in after say 30 or 60 days. It's one of a couple of ideas I hope they pinch from Vinted. 

Message 6 of 37
See Most Recent

I think Vinted's feedback system sucks.

Sellers get auto 5* feedback 4-5 days after transaction completed if buyer feedback is not left.  This isn't reciprocated for buyers when sellers don't leave feedback. 
Buyers sent SNAD rubbish have to return for refund at their own expense and can't leave feedback to warn others as the transaction is 'not completed'.
Vinted can auto neg sellers who don't despatch and same seller can retaliatory neg the blameless buyer. 

Buyers and sellers assume 5* feedback is their due no matter how poorly they perform or how rude they are. 
Honest feedback is not being left because buyers and sellers are afraid of retaliatory negs. 

Message 7 of 37
See Most Recent

I see what you're saying. It is definitely flawed and it can be the Wild West on there. I had to keep something recently as I was sent the wrong item and wasn't willing to throw good money after bad paying for the return. 

If I was eBay I'd implement an auto feedback way into the future of a sale then, 6 months if needed. Buyer isn't being prejudiced in any way, the seller gets the + they deserved on a good sale which wasn't left as the buyer couldn't be bothered. 

Message 8 of 37
See Most Recent

I'm trying to reclaim return p&p for a SNAD return. She's hiding behind Vinted's t&c's'you signed up to this' and I pointed out she signed up to accurately listing the SNAD tat she sent me. Not a 2 way street apparently. 

Someone suggested to avoid retaliatory feedback that fb shouldn't be published until both parties have left feedback. Works on a Spanish site well apparently. Can't see how that protects people from scammer buyers and sellers tho' because they'd leave no fb which would prevent honest fb being left. 

Message 9 of 37
See Most Recent

I have seen that retaliatory feedback on there too and a lot of very confused reply feedback on the auto 1* cancellations. It actually shows eBay have it right in only allowing sellers to leave positives for buyers as it creates more unintended problems than it's worth. 

There are so many businesses on there and people who have clearly been booted off ebay for similar antics, you can see it a mile off 🤣. But you get so many good deals I think vinted expect people to just take the rough with the smooth.

On the eBay feedback thing, my whole issue when most feedback isn't left is that any neg has so much extra weight as a % of actual sales. 

Message 10 of 37
See Most Recent

rjwilmsi
Conversationalist

ebay isn't a social network. Buyers are under no obligation to leave feedback. It doesn't really bother me if buyers don't leave feedback, I think about one third of mine do.

In the bigger picture in consumer society currently there seems to be an obsession from most service providers with requesting feedback or ratings. Each time an Evri courier delivers an item to me I get an email requesting feedback - I don't feel that I should have to leave feedback for a routine basic transaction so I resent receiving such emails. Perhaps many buyers feel the same about eBay feedback. Certainly I don't think many of us would want somebody standing by the exit door at our local supermarket asking for feedback every time you popped in to buy a can of beans (then chasing you down the street to remind you if you ignored them at the door).

Message 11 of 37
See Most Recent

Some interesting answers, I have even sold a pair of shoes but 50+ days later asked to return them for a refund. Just someone buying them, wearing them for maybe a wedding and would never wear them again. I would have certainly given this buyer a negative feedback in response, as it was eBay said I was in my right not to accept a return(and they never gave me any pos or neg feedback)
On the subject of should you or shouldn't leave Feedback at least with a positive you know it has arrived ok, but with a scam buyer you cannot publicaly let other buyers aware of things known, and I'm sure if you try to scam a buyer they will soon make it visible on your profile.
You can see why other auction and sales site such as Vinted, Etsy, Marketplace etc are stealing customers away from eBay.

Message 12 of 37
See Most Recent

The weirdest thing is that, whilst almost everyone thinks eBay’s feedback system is in some way flawed, almost everyone seems to invest a huge degree of faith in it.

I for one am not in the least surprised that people are weary of the whole 'review culture'. Once, in response to a similar thread, I did a spot check and found I’d been asked to feedback/review goods and services over 30 times in a single day. One transaction can often result in over a dozen such requests, reminders included.

Worth listening to Tom Shakespeare's recent Radio 4 talk: 'A Point of View - the ratings game'. He covers the problem very well. In particular he highlights the fact that none of this 'ratings culture' actually achieves what is claims to set out to do. That is, it doesn’t result in better service. 

The same holds true on eBay. If you neg/neut a seller and suggest they might do something better next time, they are extremely unlikely to take it on board and seek to make improvements. They will usually take it as a personal slight, block the buyer, and try to get the feedback removed (or at least attach a snotty, defensive reply) before jumping onto the discussion boards to complain about how unfair the whole thing is. 

Message 13 of 37
See Most Recent

@hotrodasaurus wrote:

From my recent sales only 1 in every 10 sales a buyer will bother to leave feedback. Is this a worldwide trend as people become lazy, maybe sellers should also stop leaving feedback. Feedback used to be a way of seeing trust in a seller so what has happened?

Do you leave a review for Royal Mail every time you dispatch an eBay sale?

Message 14 of 37
See Most Recent

Leaving feedback has always been optional and out of the various other online places that there are ebay is the only place that I'm aware of that has this option.

@clutter-free-wannabe 

With the likes of vinted in terms of feedback is what ebay used to be years ago, buyers & sellers leaving like 4 like feedback regardless if it was honest or not.

Thats one of the many reasons why ebay removed the option for sellers to leave neutral/negative feedback.

Message 15 of 37
See Most Recent

No I dont but the Royal mail is fairly reliable and the feedback would show this instead of being months out of date. These fly tip couriers that eBay recomend sometimes leave your items on the doorstep to get soaked in bad weather if you are out and drop off points are not always that reliable either.
Oh yes and I do block buyers that ask awkward questions that read a bit suspect.

Message 16 of 37
See Most Recent

I once got a buyer buy something, returned it and then left abusive negative feedback.

They then had cheek to ask me why I had blocked them from buying something else !

Doh !

Message 17 of 37
See Most Recent

Don't know what it is. Once I see item has been delivered i send buyer feedback and out of 10 sent i receive around 3 feedbacks. However i get many personal messages praising me for my communicatio, speed of delivery, great packing and saying how great the item is but no feedback?

Message 18 of 37
See Most Recent

I confess, I used to get the hump over people who didn’t leave feedback for me. I was then persuaded (by a very sensible member on these very discussion boards) that such 'entitled' behaviour was akin to an infant demanding reward stickers just for doing what's reasonably expected of them as minimal standards of behaviour. So I grew up (just a little) and tried to stop being so needy.

Message 19 of 37
See Most Recent

I rarely buy these days but when I do, unless the seller is new and needs to build their feedback score up to get restrictions lifted, I don't leave it. Having had both of the negative feedbacks I left for sellers, removed with no reason and no explanation, I decided not to bother anymore.  When your item you paid £195 for doesn't arrive and your seller is unresponsive, causing you to open an INR claim which went the full distance with no response, I don't see why feedback of "Horrible experience. Cannot recommend this seller at all" should be removed, but it was and back to 100% they went. The other negative I left was for a seller who charged me £20 for next day delivery, marked it as despatched but didn't post the item for 8 days and then it was sent by standard second class RM at £4.95. My feedback comment of "Seller took 8 days to post and then sent it second class despite me paying for next day delivery" was also removed. I have no faith in the feedback system on here and when lousy sellers are protected from negative feedback and get it removed, there is little point in me leaving any feedback at all. 

Message 20 of 37
See Most Recent
Got selling related questions? Start here: