Returned item showing as delivered by Royal Mail but has not been delivered how can I inform Ebay

Buyer asked to return an item which I accepted and paid for a label . The item shows that it was delivered today but it was not delivered to my house . What can I do to tell ebay there is a problem and to let them know that my item was not delivered despite Royal Mails tracking saying that it was ?

Message 1 of 13
See Most Recent
12 REPLIES 12

Returned item showing as delivered by Royal Mail but has not been delivered how can I inform Ebay

Firstly ,are your return details up to date in your account details ?.

If so then you might try and get in touch with RM as they should be able to give you GPS coordinates of where it was delivered.

Is it possible it was left on doorstep and got pinched ?.

RM tracking is not always accurate ,iv'e had same issue as you with purchases only to receive the item a few days later.

Message 2 of 13
See Most Recent

From the sellers point of view  Ebay will auto refund them if they see the item has been delivered ,they won't look into the details of where and when.

You might have to get a callback from Ebay via the "help and contact" link at the bottom of the page but you may also end up having to claim off RM if they have definately delivered to wrong address as long as you can prove that.

If you request a call back do it just after 8am Mon to Fri or just after 9am on weekends.

Message 3 of 13
See Most Recent

Thank you for the help . My details are uptodate and I was at home at the time it says it was delivered , also I went out the front door a few minutes after the said time of delivery so would have noticed a package if one was left near the door . I will talk to the delivery man tomorrow. 

Would anyone call back on a bank holiday Monday? looking like I will loose out on this one .

Message 4 of 13
See Most Recent

Yes, as it is only a bank holiday in the UK

Message 5 of 13
See Most Recent

rjwilmsi
Conversationalist

Sometimes Royal Mail just scan items with the wrong status, so item may well turn up tomorrow.

Look at the tracking on the Royal Mail website. If there is a GPS location shown then check if that's right.

If GPS location is wrong then contact Royal Mail customer services to report a misdelivery. If the GPS location is near to you but still wrong you will need to state very clearly to them why it's wrong, otherwise they may simply say e.g. "address in Manchester, delivered in Manchester, all fine" even if delivery is actually 5 miles from your address.

If GPS location is correct then as postie tomorrow what they did with item.

If no GPS location shown, contact Royal Mail customer services to ask for it.

Royal Mail did once misdeliver an eBay return I was receiving (let's say there are two "London House" appartment blocks in my city and they delivered to the other one), they retrieved it and delivered to me a couple of days later after I contacted RM customer services by phone.

As far as eBay is concerned you will need very good evidence that the item was not delivered to you. For example, a letter or email from RM customer services stating that the item has been misdelivered, or a screenshot of the GPS delivery location on map showing that it's nowhere near your address.

Message 6 of 13
See Most Recent

@frogeye_123 wrote:

Buyer asked to return an item which I accepted and paid for a label . The item shows that it was delivered today but it was not delivered to my house . 

Was it the Krugerrand? What service did you use (i.e. Special Delivery Guaranteed, Tracked 24 etc.)?

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Message 7 of 13
See Most Recent

sabe5994
Conversationalist

Have you checked the Royal Mail Tracking page on their website for the tracking info? It should show a pic of delivery (it may be at a neighbours house) and a gps location map will be under it which will show street names.

Message 8 of 13
See Most Recent

The buyer changed the address on the returns label and returned a Christmas card which was scanned as delivered. Full details of the fraud will be passed onto the police.

Message 9 of 13
See Most Recent

This turned out to be fraud the buyer changed the address on the returns label and returned a Christmas card to a nearby address which was scanned as delivered . Details will be passed onto the Police.

Message 10 of 13
See Most Recent

Sadly, the buyer will still get refunded, but if you give eBay the crime number they might refund you too out of their own pocket

Good luck 

Message 11 of 13
See Most Recent

If you contact eBay CS and send an image of the altered label and a crime number, they may not refund the buyer before investigating.

On the other hand, they may not bother to investigate - but it's worth a try.

Message 12 of 13
See Most Recent

I had a similar thing happen years ago, bought an expensive Chanel bag, instead an old leaflet was delivered to a nearby address, so they had 'proof of delivery' to the same postcode as me. Only resolved after many calls to PayPal and eventually getting through to a UK representative, who was able to actually understand what had happened, rather than just parroting that there was a scan showing delivery to my postcode.

You'd hope GPS would prevent that, however I wouldn't 100% believe that either. The other day I had a Royal Mail parcel state it was delivered, with GPS showing my address, but I was home and nothing had been delivered to me at all, nothing on the property. The next day the postman actually delivered the item, so the GPS isn't reliable at all, and it seems things can be easily entered as delivered, even before delivery has even been attempted. 

Message 13 of 13
See Most Recent
Got selling related questions? Start here: