Protection for sellers

I recently sold an item to a buyer who made an offer which I accepted.

The item was in absolutely brand new condition in the original box and packaging, completely unused.

The buyer received the item which had been very carefully packed and within a day was demanding a refund and return of the item, falsely claiming that it was damaged and had been used.

I vigorously denied this and put my case to EBay, spoke to an agent and sent photos of the item showing it's new condition.

In spite of this they are allowing the buyer to return the item, and I have to give a full refund.

I am completely disgusted with the lack of support from eBay and intend to look for other methods of disposing of my surplus items in the future.

Where is the justice in this and where is the protection for the seller.

Message 1 of 10
See Most Recent
9 REPLIES 9

Protection for sellers

It could be that the buyer will not go through with sending the item back & was hoping you would just refund them.

Wait & see what they return.

Message 2 of 10
See Most Recent

Protection for sellers

Ebay rules are if buyer says not as described then they are entitled to full refund including postage.

You agreed to the rules when you signed up.

Message 3 of 10
See Most Recent

Protection for sellers

The whole point is that the item is as described and shown in the photos.

Sent from Outlook for iOS<>
Message 4 of 10
See Most Recent

Protection for sellers

As @nigel_paul_wright7557 says, you have no option other than to accept the return and send a label.  If you don't, eBay will force a return and tell the buyer to keep the item - and you will get a defect.

When the return arrives, report the buyer for misusing the MBG.  You can then appeal to eBay and you may get a courtesy refund.

As @zoomingmouse says, they may not return it.  It may just be a ploy to get a partial refund.

Message 5 of 10
See Most Recent

Protection for sellers

Sadly there are sellers around who show pics of something mint but send something not so good.

Hence ,Ebay side with the buyer with the usual chant of "well ,we don't actually get to see the ACTUAL item".

Message 6 of 10
See Most Recent

Protection for sellers

Thank you for your comments.
If and when the item is returned, I will try to follow that procedure.

Message 7 of 10
See Most Recent

Protection for sellers

I had a buyer who asked me lots of questions about the item I was selling all of which I answered honestly undertaking research and providing additional photographs. The item was won by this person though there were many bidders. The buyer then said item not as described. I was so incensed I opened a dispute. EBay looked at the dispute and decided in the buyers favour within one.minute which I could see on the item details. They have no reason for their decision and charged me £14. In my opinion EBay has become unprincipled, rogue, profiteers. Also can't understand how they justify taking commission on postage.

Message 8 of 10
See Most Recent

Protection for sellers

Your buyer seems to have opened a payment dispute for item not as described with their funding source,  you can never win those.

Message 9 of 10
See Most Recent

Protection for sellers

Thank you for your comment.
I agree with every word you say. I have been selling on eBay for over 17 years with only minor issues which have been quickly . However , on this occasion , I have lost all faith in eBay’s attitude and lack of support for sellers.

Message 10 of 10
See Most Recent
Got selling related questions? Start here: