New tracking messages in the ebay order? POSTED TO BUYER Running behind, original estimate was Mon 8

Hi,

Has anyone else got this new message on the tracking information in the Ebay order? I am wondering if it is a test or a permanent new brilliant feature!

POSTED TO BUYER - Running behind, original estimate was Mon 8 Jan - Tue 9 Jan

This is now appearing on my orders for buyers who bought items on Sunday 7th so the items were not posted until Monday 8th and would not arrive until Wednesday 10th at the earliest.
I know the estimated deliveries have been erratic for some time but now they are telling the buyer that the parcel is 'running behind' this is getting absolutely ridiculous!

Message 1 of 18
See Most Recent
17 REPLIES 17

New tracking messages in the ebay order? POSTED TO BUYER Running behind, original estimate was Mon 8

rjwilmsi
Conversationalist

Yes, I'm also seeing that message - for example on a 1st class Large Letter posted before Christmas that Royal Mail didn't do the delivery scan on.

Message 2 of 18
See Most Recent

Seems they keep coming up with new ways to make good sellers look unreliable.  

My advice to you is extend your dispatch time to 5 days.  Mine's always been 5 days, but if it becomes shortened (due to me being nice and posting things "too fast") then I am quite prepared to bulk edit everything to 10 days dispatch. That resets the algorithm once again.

Message 3 of 18
See Most Recent

@litp*records wrote:

My advice to you is extend your dispatch time to 5 days.  Mine's always been 5 days, but if it becomes shortened (due to me being nice and posting things "too fast") then I am quite prepared to bulk edit everything to 10 days dispatch. That resets the algorithm once again.

Current operation of the eBay "algorithm" for creating Estimated Delivery Date seems to look at past performance for the seller (using tracking of previously sold items), so I think unfortunately changing dispatch time may not work. I think the eBay "algorithm" seems to pick the fastest a seller has ever delivered an item and use that to calculate dates for new sales (eBay perhaps trying to compete with Amazon Prime by stating fast delivery). Which can then come up with dates that are impossible to meet, and quite different to what seller is willing to commit to.

Message 4 of 18
See Most Recent

Only mark the items as posted on the last day that ebay puts on the 'orders awaiting despatch' page.   If eBay don't actually know that you are posting quicker they dictate, I'm presuming they can't mess around.  A tad daft though that doing better can cause problems, but dafter that eBay to decide any delay in delivery is due to a delay in despatch, and penalties are decided by feedback numbers not sales. 

Also thinking of ditching Monday or Friday as despatch days.  Or even changing to Mon-Wed-Fri - we have always post every day same day if bought before 3pm, yet in the past have managed to get close to the percentage limit a couple of time for apparently late despatch!  Not lately though.

Message 5 of 18
See Most Recent

hi,

yes,

just posted some screenshots of the latest crazy EDD's, including promising Sunday's delivery for 2 class economy post that does not exists.

Nowhere in  that new format ebay informs the buyer those are only "wrong estimates" & not guaranteed delivery dates.

The Friday 's purchases after my cut off time have delivery promised by Sunday ! yet the next dispatch day was Monday & buyer selected economy 2 class post (RM48) so delivery should be Wednesday/Thursday.

etc.etc.etc.

Have a look at the ongoing thread at the business board:

https://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Business-Seller-Board/Estimated-delivery-dates-yes-again/m-p/7525506...

the ongoing weekend EDD's glitch:

https://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Technical-Issues/Estimated-Delivery-dates-for-orders-over-weekend-pe...

Instead of fixing all the EDD's glitches they add some more crazy ones.

'working as intended".....

Message 6 of 18
See Most Recent

Thanks for your replies.

I have sort of come to terms with the new estimated delivery times and I think it is very clear that Ebay will not be changing how it currently works.

What has annoyed me today is the wording 'running behind' that Ebay are now showing on the tracking to the buyer as this is a false statement and just gives buyers more things to complain about or leave negative feedback. 

Message 7 of 18
See Most Recent

Also thinking of ditching Monday or Friday as despatch days.  Or even changing to Mon-Wed-Fri - we have always post every day same day if bought before 3pm, yet in the past have managed to get close to the percentage limit a couple of time for apparently late despatch!  Not lately though.

I experimented with all sorts of things, removing Friday & Monday as posting days, it changed nothing !

Moving cut off time to 5AM from 3PM, changed nothing!

The EDD's were still showing delivery Monday for 2 class post (RM48) if someone bought something on that Friday I did not post to or well after cut off time on any day.

Extending dispatch time for 2-3 days only showed some crazy delivery dates before even dispatch, eg. buyer bought item on Friday, promissed delivery Monday but I was asked to "post before Tuesday", so delivery before even dispatching!

etc.

Reads some of the examples given on the business boards.

Message 8 of 18
See Most Recent

@rsfootwear wrote:

Thanks for your replies.

I have sort of come to terms with the new estimated delivery times and I think it is very clear that Ebay will not be changing how it currently works.

What has annoyed me today is the wording 'running behind' that Ebay are now showing on the tracking to the buyer as this is a false statement and just gives buyers more things to complain about or leave negative feedback. 

Completely agree with your sentiment, the wording is appalling "blame the seller" type, yet it's eBays that inserst those EDD's to our listings.

A few examples of the new crazy EDD's I noticed today for 2 class, 2-3 business days, economy post  :

Screen Shot 2024-01-10 at 12.05.34.png

Screen Shot 2024-01-10 at 11.54.47.png

Screen Shot 2024-01-10 at 12.05.57.png

Message 9 of 18
See Most Recent

Hi best-range

I have reported to ebay about the EDD'S several times on online chats and even on the weekly chats on Wednesdays at 2pm, only to be told it is working fine blah, blah, blah.

Example: Buyer buys an item on 10th January, I print and dispatch that item the same day 10th January.  Buyer delivery date states 10th - 11th January.  The buyer brought the item via the free standard three day delivery service.

If you go on the couriers website directly it gives the correct delivery dates being 3 days, but not ebay they give the customer an unrealistic delivery date .

I too spotted the running behind paragraph, but to me, it makes sellers look like we have made up early delivery date just to obtain a sale, only to be let down. We then have the issue of disappointed customers and having to ask Ebay customer service to remove feedback.

It does not matter how I try and change the postage days etc, you can not beat ebay's EDD.

Best wishes

Message 10 of 18
See Most Recent

For several years, having seen the "it's a bug, no it's a feature" run-around on these boards, I have purchased postage directly from RM or couriers and I don't fill in the tracking.  My settings are 5 day despatch, using a 5 day 'other courier'.  I mark as dispatched on the last possible day.

No doubt I lose a few sales, though since I'm clearing out old stuff that only some collector or retro enthusiast is likely to be interested in, probably not losing many.  It completely blows my mind that a company would want to set unrealistic expectations for buyers.  But... this is ebay.

I guess there are worse though.  Ebay doesn't compare with PPE scandals or the Post Office.  Yet.

Message 11 of 18
See Most Recent

mine have delivered by despatch date, next i will have to deliver before they order

Message 12 of 18
See Most Recent

ebay are purposly doing this so they can withold payment from the sellers for a few more days and make an extra few million off the intrest accrued, also in some cases they will be able to withold the 105 (actually 1% discount on FVF's) shameful practices by Ebay

Message 13 of 18
See Most Recent

I have several items posted over a week ago still saying running behind??

Message 14 of 18
See Most Recent

Yes, same here. I've had a customer asking where his order is. I posted it over a week ago. Has it been lost in the post? I've checked the tracking and it says "Running Behind" It also looks as if I've not posted it as the blue dot and line haven't moved. Annoying.

Message 15 of 18
See Most Recent

You need to check tracking on the carriers site not eBay they are often late in updating details.

Message 16 of 18
See Most Recent

I have this on one of my sales.  But, to be fair to ebay, the parcel is most likely lost so it is accurate.  My buyer if being very patient.

Message 17 of 18
See Most Recent

Perhaps if they simply had IT department that could code to suit their published terms. eg Saturday Sundays and BHols don't count and depatch time 2 days, same day despatch cut off time 8am etc, we wouldn't have all the disappointed buyers we have.

Often we have buyers being given expected delivery MONDAY  when they order at 10pm Friday.  Its doesn't matter how many time you call and complain nothing changes.

If only there were an alternative to Ebay they would collapse in days.

Message 18 of 18
See Most Recent
Got selling related questions? Start here: