New account to avoid tax.

Can i set up a new account after 20 years and start from scratch thereby avoiding tax

Message 1 of 59
See Most Recent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

You can certainly set up another account, and start from scratch, if you wish. However, you can not avoid any tax due by doing so.

If you are a genuine private seller, selling off your own possessions, you will not be affected anyway, as you won't have any tax to pay. However, if you are a business seller, pretending to be a private seller, you may have a tax liability, and opening a new account won't change that. You would still have the tax liability from your existing account, even if you close it, or stop uisng it.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 59
See Most Recent
58 REPLIES 58

You can certainly set up another account, and start from scratch, if you wish. However, you can not avoid any tax due by doing so.

If you are a genuine private seller, selling off your own possessions, you will not be affected anyway, as you won't have any tax to pay. However, if you are a business seller, pretending to be a private seller, you may have a tax liability, and opening a new account won't change that. You would still have the tax liability from your existing account, even if you close it, or stop uisng it.

Message 2 of 59
See Most Recent

Good Afternoon Tired

No.  VS has summed it up nicely.

Message 3 of 59
See Most Recent

Just so you understand what is new Ebay

UK digital sales reporting | eBay

As you willl see on the link see under "Reporting to HMRC" it isnt just your login but your personal details too.  however you are entitled to a earn upto £1,740 (or 30 sales) after deducting fees and commissions or taxes

Message 4 of 59
See Most Recent

jow1995
Conversationalist

with  3.4k sales it maybe worth deleting your account, only snag you lose your 93 followers and feedback

Message 5 of 59
See Most Recent

papso22
Experienced Mentor

@tiredmusicman57 wrote:

Can i set up a new account after 20 years and start from scratch thereby avoiding tax

Really?  You post on a public board that you are at best a wannabe tax avoider and at worst already one!

You have sold over 30 items this year already, like it or not you are on the list.

Message 6 of 59
See Most Recent

Totally agree... strange post indeed

Message 7 of 59
See Most Recent

It's HMRC who decide your tax liability not eBay.

Photobucket

"Take deep breaths, it'll soon be gone"

Message 8 of 59
See Most Recent

@papso22 wrote:

@tiredmusicman57 wrote:

Really?  You post on a public board that you are at best a wannabe tax avoider and at worst already one!

You have sold over 30 items this year already, like it or not you are on the list.

This has to be one of the best replys so far this year! 😂😂🤣🤣

Truth hurts. Maybe not as much as jumping on a bicycle with a seat missing, but it hurts.

You may think you have pushed ALL my buttons, but you still haven't found the mute!
Message 9 of 59
See Most Recent

It's going to be interesting to see if they can get away with this people just won't be able to pay so what happens then send them to jail ? I think not also I read this will include the postage. Bring it on I say.

Sent from Outlook for Android<>
Message 10 of 59
See Most Recent

It's going to be interesting to see if they can get away with this people just won't be able to pay so what happens then send them to jail ?

Jail will be for serious cases. If people have problems paying there are payment options including monthly payments. But that's for the individual to negoiate with HMRC.

Message 11 of 59
See Most Recent

If theres real "tax avoidance" then yes this is dealt with v seriously but in reality the tax office are pretty generous when it comes to paying tax back,  My son got a tax bill last year (change of jobs) and owed just under £1k so they said pay as little back for as long as you like, as long as you make regular payments its fine but you are naive in thinking that HMRC wont "bring it on" if you owe thousands.  I know of a friends husband , who was a property developer and was sent down for 6mths for tax avoidance, he was told by his solicitors he would get a fine and slap on the wrist as it wasnt that much (think under £10k) so they do not mess around as its the message it sends out not the amount owed.   There will be ALOT of people panicking now their "easy money" will dry up.   Unless you have another job (income) and stay under profit of £12k (ish not sure of exact Personal allowance) you wont pay any tax anyway, just have to declare your figures but of course if you have another job this will go ontop.

Message 12 of 59
See Most Recent

Thank you for a decent informative reply unlike some on here

Message 13 of 59
See Most Recent

If you register self employed with HMRC then you just go online to do a self assessment in April through the government gateway and then pay any tax owed if your profit is over £12,570.  if you have another job it will ask for your income on your p60 and if your additional income exceeds the personal allowance you pay about 20% tax, unless over the higher tax bracket income of £50,271  then its 40%  if you think its worth carrying on then register and be compliant.

Message 14 of 59
See Most Recent

Why would they not be able to pay the tax? Are they not being paid for the items they sell?

Message 15 of 59
See Most Recent

I worked on personal and corporate insolvency cases for over a decade and dealt with HMRC directly on a daily basis. Having seen them in full flow my advice would be don't mess with them, make sure your tax affairs are in order because they can be brutal. I dealt with a few clients who had the bring it on mentality and played games with them and they seriously regretted it. 

Message 16 of 59
See Most Recent

The '30 items' is hilarious. What if you sell stuff at £1...selling your stamp collection. Will HMRC be told 'this person sold 35 items feel his collar!

Message 17 of 59
See Most Recent

Excellent reply for once

Message 18 of 59
See Most Recent

Well, no...because if he sold 35 items at £1, he would have only made £35. So would be considerably below the trading allowance.

(As far as I understand it.)

Message 19 of 59
See Most Recent

however you are entitled to a earn upto £1,740 (or 30 sales) after deducting fees and commissions or taxes' thi is ebays line so 30 sales....no value given.  

Message 20 of 59
See Most Recent
Got selling related questions? Start here: