Is this a new thing?

I was just listing a couple of  items on Ebay and noticed something that i never have before on them so wondered if this is new?

Joined Aug 2010

Usually responds within 6 hours

Response to any messages time?   I am on and off during the day so doubt it takes me 6 hours to respond 😞   Also i will keep an eye out to see if it says on others listings "does not ever respond"  lol

Message 1 of 15
See Most Recent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Is this a new thing?

@1956glyn wrote:

Response to any messages time?   I am on and off during the day so doubt it takes me 6 hours to respond 😞   Also i will keep an eye out to see if it says on others listings "does not ever respond"  lol

It's probably an average calculation that will never be a true reflection. So...if a buyer sends a message that doesn't warrant a reply such as "I've received it, thanks." it probably looks like you received a message that you should have replied to but didn't. Also, if eBay are using averages it only takes two messages received at 11.30pm that you didn't reply to until 8.00am the next morning to have a couple of 7.5 hour reply times thrown into the calculation.

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 15
See Most Recent
14 REPLIES 14

Is this a new thing?

@1956glyn wrote:

It's probably an average calculation that will never be a true reflection. So...if a buyer sends a message that doesn't warrant a reply such as "I've received it, thanks." it probably looks like you received a message that you should have replied to but didn't. Also, if eBay are using averages it only takes two messages received at 11.30pm that you didn't reply to until 8.00am the next morning to have a couple of 7.5 hour reply times thrown into the calculation.

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Message 2 of 15
See Most Recent

Is this a new thing?

I've scrolled all the way to the bottom of one of your listings,  and cannot see this.  I'm on a PC not them funny app thingys.

Though,   I have heard of this appearing for a short time in the past.

Can you tell us exactly where you are seeing this.

Message 3 of 15
See Most Recent

Is this a new thing?

I can see it - click on any listing and scroll to the bottom (I am on a laptop) and it is underneath and to the left of the name and feedback.

It doesn't have anything like that for me - it would probably say 'Hardly ever bothers to respond so don't hold your breath.'

Yours says 'Usually responds with 24 hours' @tressygirl 

"There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
Søren Kierkegaard, Danish philosopher (1813 - 1855)
Message 4 of 15
See Most Recent

Is this a new thing?

I have had this also, I don't like it, may give buyers or potential buyers, unreasonable expectations.

Message 5 of 15
See Most Recent

Is this a new thing?

Well that's a rubbish bit of information,  I can reply within hours,   not 24 hours.

Mmmm another not well thought out idea.

Message 6 of 15
See Most Recent

Is this a new thing?

Aaah  found it ,  @jckl1957 and @1956glyn   you're back to ' answering in 24 hours !'

What nonsense is all this !!

Message 7 of 15
See Most Recent

Is this a new thing?

Perhaps it would be better if it was on the lines of, "Responds within 24 hours if he responds at all."  😀

(I don't respond to messages offering me stupidly low amounts, or "What'll you take?". The are getting more frequent.)

Message 8 of 15
See Most Recent

Is this a new thing?

I ignore ones like - recent and true - 'Can you send me a picture of the brooch in your palm?'

No - there is a picture with a coin and next to a ruler!!  Have you got a hand fetish?

"There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
Søren Kierkegaard, Danish philosopher (1813 - 1855)
Message 9 of 15
See Most Recent

Is this a new thing?

They've copied this from Etsy!

If you have a history of responding quickly, Etsy gives you a star.  Will eBay give stars?   

Message 10 of 15
See Most Recent

Is this a new thing?

I have my join date but no response time.

Could this be a Business Seller Only feature?

At least with a business it might be reasonable to expect a reply within business hours, but private sellers would (mostly?) have all sorts of other commitments that might vary day to day, making any average meaningless.

Message 11 of 15
See Most Recent

Is this a new thing?

Maybe.   They already give us badges 🙄

Message 12 of 15
See Most Recent

Is this a new thing?

I'm a 24 hour guy too!! lol, down to the fact I ignore the stupid questions, or the "I know you are a time waster question". I would love to see someone with a "they never respond or anything longer than 24 hours....." sorry thats my mischevious mind!!

My business was a finalist in the ebay business awards 2023.
Message 13 of 15
See Most Recent

Is this a new thing?

Could this be a Business Seller Only feature?   Not at the minute.

Nope as i am 100% a private seller

Message 14 of 15
See Most Recent

Is this a new thing?

Sorry, I didn't check, I just assumed you were a business.

But thinking about it I can't remember the last time I was messaged by a buyer on here.  it might have been last year, or even the year before.🤔

Message 15 of 15
See Most Recent
Got selling related questions? Start here: