I Added Free Recorded Delivery Buyer took out case against me

Hi,

A buyer purchased a job lot of baby patterns from me and paid for standard 2nd Class RM postage.  As the items were heavy I added recorded/signed for delivery to the item without charging for this extra postal service and did not add the recorded delivery tracking number.  I did not tell the buyer I added this but wanted to do it for the extra security for my buyer.

Yesterday the buyer took an item not arrived case against me via eBay.  I then remembered that I had sent it recorded and checked with RM track and trace which stated they had attempted delivery on the 5th but no one appeared to be in.  I then sent the buyer an email with the tracking number and that RM track and trace states was not in and that she has not rebooked to have the item redelivered.

The buyer got back to me and was very curt, didn't bother to thank me for adding the extra service, and stated that she is not at home during the week as she works away from home. She also stated that there was no redirection card left by Royal Mail. She also stated that if a parcel arrives her neighbor usually takes it in and that she thinks it must be a new postie who does not know about this.

She also stated that now she knows about the recorded delivery, she will 'Try' to get it redelivered.  She did not sign her name on the email, I felt she was abrupt and wondered how she could sell things on the same eBay ID if she works away all week.

I sent her pictures via eBay messages of the post office receipt for the item with the tracking plus pictures of the RM track and trace and what it states about her parcel's journey and for her to book a redelivery.

She has not answered me, only sent one email. 

I am worried that she may still try to get her money back. What are my rights in this situation, please

EBay does not seem to have any customer services anymore and would value some advice, please.

I feel she used too many excuses in the one short curt email to me but they are probably genuine.

I have added the tracking to eBay's case against me.

What are my rights here and do you think she will try to get her money back?

thank you

Sarah x

Message 1 of 28
See Most Recent
27 REPLIES 27

Hi,

This buyer has stated that she works away all week. I am unsure if this is 5 or 6 days.  Unless she purchases from a courier company where she can change the day, and place to leave items or leave with a neighbour, then I do not believe that she should be purchasing items via Royal Mail. Also,  the buyer could select click-and-collect items, so she can collect them herself.  This collection of items, with there extra packaging is not guaranteed to fit through a letterbox.  We live in an old house and a similar package does not fit through our letterbox.  I have no idea what size her letterbox is. This item was not sold as a letterbox gift or item.

thank you 

Sarah x

Message 21 of 28
See Most Recent

"This was a large letter package over 500g and there is no way this would have fitted through a standard letterbox."

From the RM "Our Prices" pamphlet, (available at all post offices, as is a handy size template), Large letter size and weight 35.3 cm long, 25cm wide, 2.5 cm deep, max weight 750g. Fits through standard letterbox, that's why it's called a large LETTER. The same size package at a higher weight would be classed as a small parcel but will still fit through a letter box. I checked on mine and 25cm wide, 2.5cm deep will fit through no problem.

The fact is you changed the delivery option from that stated on your listing and that is why you are now having problems with your buyer. The decent thing would have been to ask the buyer first, before posting. 

Message 22 of 28
See Most Recent

Hi Tressygirl,

Thank you for that, I really appreciate it.

kindest regards from Sarah x

Message 23 of 28
See Most Recent

Hi 4_bathrooms,

Thank you for that.

I have checked Royal Mails track and trace for her item and they are stating that she should bring the 'Something for you card' that they left her. She stated to me, that she did not receive any card, and yet Royal Mail stated that they left one.  

Thank you for the information, it has been very helpful to me.

Kindest regards from Sarah x

Message 24 of 28
See Most Recent

Hi 4_bathrooms

I have just checked Royal Mails track and trace again and at the top of the page it states that attempted delivery on the 5th, however, if you expand the tracking history underneath this, it states they attempted delivery on the 4th, and also attempted delivery on the 5th as well.  The tracking history is more detailed.  It clearly states that they left a 'Something for You Card'.  The buyer stated that they did not and yet they attempted delivery on the 4th and the 5th and yet according to the buyer there was no card left for her.

Kindest regards from Sarah x

Message 25 of 28
See Most Recent

Could I suggest when you are replying to lots of comments higher up the thread that you use the quotation marks at the top of the reply box.

They will add the comment you are replying to into the reply box and make your replies easier to follow in context.

Screenshot_2024-01-10-09-15-57-650~2.jpeg

Message 26 of 28
See Most Recent

No card left for her.  Sounds like the dog ate it. 

I used to have the same trouble with my homework.

Message 27 of 28
See Most Recent

If she didn't receive it then you must refund her.  If it was lost in the post then Royal Mail must compensate you provided you can prove you posted it, by having a receipt or tracking number.  If it wasn't lost in the post then it will come back to you in time provided you put a return address on the package.  Sometimes things just don't go smoothly and we need to cover our backs by taking the right precautions 🙂

Message 28 of 28
See Most Recent
Got selling related questions? Start here: