Hi, I am new to selling on ebay and have a question about postage fees, please help.

HI I have recently sold an item but the costs dont seem to add up.

I will simplify the sale

Total cost including postage was £40

Item £35

Delivery £5

ebay fees £5

It says buyer paid the postage (£5)

Total to me should be £35

This is where I am getting confused, ebay have just paid me £35 but I have already paid £5 for postage so I am £10 down including ebay fees.

The total I have made from the sale is only £30  

I have phoned ebay and they have said the buyer has paid the full £40 so how can it be that we have both had to pay the postage. somewhere that postage cost has doubled. 

Thanks for any help.

Message 1 of 5
See Most Recent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi, I am new to selling on ebay and have a question about postage fees, please help.

When you get paid now , eBay take their seller fees as soon as the buyer pays, this is why you're seeing a lesser amount, the benefit of this,  is no more monthly invoices.

If you look at the total amount paid it will be the postage and the sale price combined, eBay don't itemise the postage now.

Sometimes,  the postage cost is almost identical to the seller fee charged for that item.  Seeing a lesser amount paid to you,  you may think the postage was not paid,  but it was the seller fee taken,  be assured your postage cost was paid to you.

Here is a breakdown of the fees of all your transactions.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sh/fin/transactions

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5
See Most Recent
4 REPLIES 4

When you get paid now , eBay take their seller fees as soon as the buyer pays, this is why you're seeing a lesser amount, the benefit of this,  is no more monthly invoices.

If you look at the total amount paid it will be the postage and the sale price combined, eBay don't itemise the postage now.

Sometimes,  the postage cost is almost identical to the seller fee charged for that item.  Seeing a lesser amount paid to you,  you may think the postage was not paid,  but it was the seller fee taken,  be assured your postage cost was paid to you.

Here is a breakdown of the fees of all your transactions.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sh/fin/transactions

Message 2 of 5
See Most Recent

Hi thanks for your reply.

I think I got confused because it says buyer pays postage, I should of allowed more on the total sale, I was expecting ebay to refund me the postage cost from the buyer.

I know the total deducted equals £10 (5 postage and 5 fees) I had just got it in my head £5 of that was coming out of the buyers pocket not mine. 

All sorted now and I know for next time.

Cheers 

Message 3 of 5
See Most Recent

Aaah I agree,  it's not very clear at first,  to understand that breakdown,  you can , as most sellers do,  calculate the postage and the seller fees,  and add them to the starting price of your items.

@dogwind 

Message 4 of 5
See Most Recent

If you are looking at the sold items order details eBay tells you what your net proceeds will be after all costs are deducted.

In other words it's eBay's confusing way of telling what you will have left with after they've taken their fees and you've bought a postage label.

On a browser there's a "see more details" link at the bottom of the order which shows a true breakdown of eBay fees and what's going to your bank account.

Unfortunately on the app the link isn't there so the order looks like eBay has charged you for postage.

To see your eBay selling transaction fees and payouts to your bank use a browser and look at this page in your accounts payments section.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/mes/transactionlist 

Message 5 of 5
See Most Recent
Got selling related questions? Start here: