Helpful suggestion for sellers

I do hope this is a sensible place to make this comment.  I am a long-time buyer and my biggest complaint by far is the poor images some sellers are posting.  I don't expect professional quality photos taken with a smartphone but please.........might I suggest when  taking a photo of a dark coloured item, such as a black vintage CD player do not place it on a table in front of a window.  The light coming through that windows doesn't illuminate the front of the item making it easy to see.  All it does is confuse the camera lens or phone and the result is just a featureless black shape.  And for those who have got the knack of correct lighting of an item and have also mastered the art of correct focus,  your helpfull detailed image will also show up the layers of dust, paint spatters, coffee stains.  It would only take a minute with a damp rag to remove the filth and display your item in a much better way giving it a much better chance of a successful sale.  If you're serious about selling something, just look at your images before uploading them.  If they are rubbish, don't post them.

Message 1 of 2
See Most Recent
1 REPLY 1

Helpful suggestion for sellers

In case you haven't already thought of them, may I suggest (1) an aid to photography, and (2) an aid to easily showing measurements:

(1) PHOTOGRAPHY AID

Investing in a "tri-fold foam presentation board" (cheapest I've just browsed are about £11, available in various colours incl. all-white and all-black) would:

(a) make taking photos easier as regards lighting and avoiding reflections through windows or from artificial lighting.

(b) hide background clutter; even if your stuff in the background is neatly organised, buyers really only want to see the item that's for sale.

I say "tri-fold" as being foldable they're easier to store.

(2) EASY AID TO SHOWING MEASUREMENTS

Also, depending on the item, a universally recognised scale object's helpful e.g. a pound coin, or a ruler next to the item.

Depending on your item's size, maybe consider buying a crafting mat aka cutting mat? They range from dirt-cheap to expensive; usual size is A3 but you can buy A2; or even A1 (they'll be foldable). They're covered with printed measurements: often one side's covered with centimetre squares with inch squares on the other. Most have centimetres labelled along one axis and inches labelled along the other. Some mats also have angles printed on them and often life-size useful sizes that get frequently used like A5.

It's taken almost for granted by crafter-buyers that crafter-sellers photograph an item on their mat so that you can immediately gauge the item's size. If you use such a mat routinely, you probably don't need to worry whereabouts on the mat you place your item.

Message 2 of 2
See Most Recent
Got selling related questions? Start here: