Have I gone crazy?

3 Photos Minimalist Instagram Story - 1.jpeg

Buyer requested a return, after going back and forth stating i dont accept them and the description was accurate I eventually caved. When i reveiced the return, the camera was dirty but the serial number checked out. 

upon closer inspection - the camera is different and i think the buyer swapped the serial plates.. case has gone in favour of the buyer and they left me my first negative review.. I stated that the camera is different too..

i can only attach one photo but as you can see, its magically been painted in some places and more scratched in others.. is ebay likely to help?

Message 1 of 17
See Most Recent
16 REPLIES 16

Have I gone crazy?

These do look like photographs of two different cameras.

However, that doesn't prove your allegation. eBay has no way of knowing which camera you sent. You can try appealing the refund, but, having followed similar cases, eBay is unlikely to oblige.

It may be worth trying phone support. Many posters advise calling them early in the morning (8:01), to try and catch the Ireland-based support staff, who seem to be far more clued-up than others.

Message 2 of 17
See Most Recent

Have I gone crazy?

Thanks, I'll give it a go, at a minimum could the negative feedback be removed or is that even less likely?

Message 3 of 17
See Most Recent

Have I gone crazy?

*vyolla*
Experienced Mentor

I'd also report the buyer and let eBay know that they've swopped your camera's parts for different ones:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/selling/resolving-buyer-issues/report-issue-buyer?id=4084&st=3&pos=2&que...

Message 4 of 17
See Most Recent

Have I gone crazy?

billtev
Conversationalist

I had a problem a couple of years with a toy that the buyer had replaced and sent back to me - refund given but  sent photos through to ebay they refunded me my money and this buyer had been changing other items previously to mine according to feedback left for them and was removed from ebay so check their feedback to see if they have had problems like this in the past

Message 5 of 17
See Most Recent

Have I gone crazy?

@harriscameras wrote:

Buyer requested a return, after going back and forth stating i dont accept them and the description was accurate I eventually caved.

What reason did the buyer select for wanting to return?

Private sellers can only decline requests for remorse returns if they have selected the "Returns not accepted" option. If a buyer opens a return request for an item not as described reason eBay automatically accepts the return; this is because the buyer is stating there is something wrong with the item rather than simply changing their mind about the purchase.

@harriscameras wrote:

upon closer inspection - the camera is different and i think the buyer swapped the serial plates.. case has gone in favour of the buyer and they left me my first negative review..

If eBay have decided the case in the buyer's favour there's close to zero chance they will remove the associated feedback. When the case was open there should have been a "Report a problem" link at the bottom of the case; clicking this link and selecting "Buyer returned a different item" would have closed the (automated) return case and opened a new one that a human being at eBay would have looked at. If that case was decided in your favour eBay would not have forced a refund and automatically removed any associated negative feedback.

You might be able to appeal this but whether doing so is really worth it or not depends upon what you have actually lost. For example, how much did the camera sell for and is the camera you received back worth significantly less than the one you sent?

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Message 6 of 17
See Most Recent

Have I gone crazy?

Although the chances of getting the negative feedback removed seem rather bleak to say the least, I would still encourage you to contact eBay Customer Service and request that the negative feedback be removed, giving a clear explanation as to what has happened.  If this buyer has done this kind of thing before then by highlightling the matter to eBay it may just tip the balance in your favour and result in the negative feedback and the associated defect being removed from your account, plus eBay would more than likely start watching the buyer's account rather closely to check for any subsequent instances of similar behaviour.

If you have not already done so by the time you read this reply make sure that you add the buyer's User ID to your Blocked Bidders List so that he/she cannot purchase anything else from you in the future and screw you over again.

Message 7 of 17
See Most Recent

Have I gone crazy?

Hey - thanks for the message.  so I did in fact report the issue as "buyer returned different item" but when the case was closed, eBay stated that they had proof the return had been delivered (which wasn't the issue in the first place). The buyer didn't like the fact that one of the accessories with the camera wasn't in better condition (I clearly stated and tried to show its condition). But after some back and forth I thought it was fair enough and accepted. I unfortunately opened the package a bit late (day before refund was to confirmed) so wasn't much time to argue. But I clearly stated in the case that the cameras are different. With 5 side by side shots highlighting the issue. It really seems like they ignored all of that.. the buyer then messaged me saying I'm a liar and a fraud. I ended up calling eBay and they assured me they would look into it - but no word yet.. 

the actual value of the camera isn't much and I'm not fussed about the money just the feedback tbh. 

Message 8 of 17
See Most Recent

Have I gone crazy?

Thank you for the suggestion. I'll add them to blocked bidders list. 

I did call eBay and they said they'd look into it. I asked them to carefully inspect the proof I provided and asked about the negative feedback. They said they would look into it after closing the case. But I didn't receive an email or anything - so may give them another call tomorrow. The chap on the phone seemed optimistic and assured me the buyers account would be tracked or something to make sure it's not happened before or happen again. 

honestly, I was just a bit shaken by the buyers response and the fact they got away with it. I'll definitely be more vigilant going forward. 

Message 9 of 17
See Most Recent

Have I gone crazy?

I did think of checking the buyers feedback but it was all positive! Seemed like they had been buying on eBay for years. 

Message 10 of 17
See Most Recent

Have I gone crazy?

Sorry to hear this. The usual case of honest seller vs computer says no eBay.

I managed to get a refund in a similar situation when sending eBay an action fraud report.

BTW, I have a Pentax ME super. Got better results inside a Cathedral then my DSLR when 

using them at the same time.

Also have a collection of film camera lenses I use with my DSLR.

Plenty more honest vintage camera / lens enthusiasts like myself out there.

Keep it going

Astronomy is looking up
Message 11 of 17
See Most Recent

Have I gone crazy?

Buyers can only get positive feedback [green dot], check the comments in the feedback.

Message 12 of 17
See Most Recent

Have I gone crazy?

@harriscameras wrote:

Hey - thanks for the message.  so I did in fact report the issue as "buyer returned different item" but when the case was closed

Unfortunately, it needed to be done whilst the case was still open using the "Report a problem" link as mentioned. INAD cases are automated; once return tracking indicates delivery or attempted delivery back to the seller the seller has three days to either voluntarily issue a refund or to report a problem via the case. If the seller does neither the buyer can escalate the case and will be guaranteed a full refund. Using the "Report a problem" link whilst the case is still open stops the automated process and provides the seller with an opportunity to prevent suffering a loss and receiving unjustified negative feedback.

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Message 13 of 17
See Most Recent

Have I gone crazy?

Thank you for the detailed replies. I'll bear this in mind going forward. And will check returned items immediately! 

Message 14 of 17
See Most Recent

Have I gone crazy?

Thank you - I didn't know this! 

Message 15 of 17
See Most Recent

Have I gone crazy?

The 2 cameras look different, eg, the scratches. The strange thing is though that the buyer chose to leave you a negative feedback. Scammers don't usually leave a feedback, especially a neg, as they don't want to raise attention to the transaction. A sad and annoying ending to your sale. Good luck with any further action you take.

Message 16 of 17
See Most Recent

Have I gone crazy?

rjwilmsi
Conversationalist

If you believe that the buyer has returned a different camera:

• submit an Action Fraud report online, download the PDF confirmation and reference number.
  • contact eBay customer support to say you have been the victim of return fraud and you have an Action Fraud report to submit to eBay.

eBay should allow you to upload the report, and if they agree with it they will issue you a credit for the sale price and remove the buyer feedback. (If eBay don't agree then they will probably do nothing and I don't think you then have any other options)

Message 17 of 17
See Most Recent
Got selling related questions? Start here: