Does relisting an item qualify for 70% variable selling fees?

I have several 'buy it now' items set to expire shortly, but the offer to list items with 70% off variable selling fees this weekend.

Can anyone advise if I can end the current listings, and then simply relist them in order to qualify for the offer - or do I need to instead the route of ending them and then 'sell a similar item' so that it's a brand new listing?

Message 1 of 16
See Most Recent
15 REPLIES 15

If you have activated the promotion, then if you end your listings and manually relist using Sell Similar,  then if it complies to the T & C's,  it will qualify for the promotion if it sells within it's first cylcle of listing.

Automatically relisted items,  do not qualify.

Message 2 of 16
See Most Recent

Thanks for this. So it has to be 'sell similar' rather than relist? I wondered if that might be the case.

Message 3 of 16
See Most Recent

You can end them and then relist them.

If they automatically relist, then they do not qualify.

There are advantages to ending and using 'sell similar' in that they then appear as 'new' listings and may get more interest.

"There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
Søren Kierkegaard, Danish philosopher (1813 - 1855)
Message 4 of 16
See Most Recent

Can be either - sell similar just works better, will put the item to the top of the list if someone is seaching newly listed!  You can also schedule as long as the schedule time is within the dates and time of the offer.

Message 5 of 16
See Most Recent

I end listings on some items and then just relist and if they sell i get the promotion fee.  Have never used sell similar.

Message 6 of 16
See Most Recent

I simply end my listings and then go in and relist, i have never used sell similar and i have always got the promotion (when i have lucky enough to sell something!)

Message 7 of 16
See Most Recent

You seems like an expert in here. I pulled all my listings. If I resist them will the 80 percent sale fee discount still apply? Or will I be paying full fees now? If sale fees no longer apply I'll give up. 

Message 8 of 16
See Most Recent

If you have ended your listings,  and if the promotion has ended, then relisting, they will sell for the full seller fee.

You have to manually list the items during the time of a promotion, so if the item sells within its first cycle of listing it will sell for the promotional fee.  Automatic relists do not comply.

As someone here mentioned ,  use the sell similar not the relist ,  as this does bring it to the top of the list as a 'new ' listing, so can be found quicker for those seeking out Newly listed items.

@tranceenthusiast 

Message 9 of 16
See Most Recent

Oh *bleep*.. Ok thanks yeah thought would be the case. I'm done with eBay for a bit for now then.  I took down my listings. After I accidentally damaged an item I sold, losing my previous sales funds, And after trying to chase a parcel all day.. (Turns out the guy has it but rm just decided not to scan.) Thanks @tressygirl sorry for jumping on thread OP. Seemed like a relevant subject. 

Message 10 of 16
See Most Recent

Great news they gave me the 80% discount again.. I'm busy listening every useless junk I own!  EBay it's a love hate relationship., 

Message 11 of 16
See Most Recent

The answer is 'NO, YOU WILL NOT GET THE DISCOUNT'. I've just had a conversation about this with ebay having been charged full fees even though I ended and MANUALLY relisted an item. I always understood that I received the full discount when these were manually relisted on an offer weekend, BUT NO YOU DON'T (I was told the Ts and Cs hadn't changed, but I'm not so sure). The supervisor explained to me that the computer system will give the item a new item number but will consider it a relisting. She said it also applied if you use the 'see similar' options (why?) and also if you manually relist it with a different heading, etc, the computer will pick it up as a relisting (not sure this is true - I will have to try one) and that even if you end an item and then 'relist' it in some form months later it will also treat it as a relisting. The question we need to ask is, 'how different does it have to be for the computer not to recognise it as a relisting?'. I don't quite believe that the computer system is clever enough to pick it up later.

The main issue is with ebay trying to get money by sneaky methods - why do you have to accept a promotion for (say) 70% off - why isn't there just a banner that says, 'If you sell something this weekend, you'll only pay 30% of our normal fees'? It's because they want to catch you out... Same as the fact that manual relistings are covered by the 'no discount' rule - it's buried in the Ts and Cs. And did you know that you will be charged extra if you sell something to certain places abroad - as in 'a surcharge', e.g. 2% for items sent to Malaysia.

The final straw is, of course, the latest additional fee called the 'regulatory offer fee' of 0.35%. Absolutely disgusting.

Can another platform take the place of ebay PLEASE!

Message 12 of 16
See Most Recent

You say manually relisting but with a different title it'll get picked up as a relisting - well that's because you clicked 'relist'. It doesn't matter if you change every single detail, it's not about a computer trying to figure out if it's the same item or not - you clicked the relist item button and that's what deems it the same item. If you want to sell a different but similar item, clicking 'sell similar' does work and you do get the discount offer, I do this every 2 weeks. 

Message 13 of 16
See Most Recent

*vyolla*
Experienced Mentor

No idea what you guys are doing here, but on my private seller account if I accept the promotional offer and use the 'relist' feature then my listing is showing as qualifying.

If in doubt, use the 'sell similar' feature. 

Message 14 of 16
See Most Recent

When i get the promotion offer i end some of my items and relist (not all, cannot be bothered and as most are clothes now it is not too bad).  Last weekend i sold three items, two of which i had ended and relisted and the third not and i got the promotion rate for the two.  Would also like to add that i have not sold ANY clothes items since 31st March.......

Message 15 of 16
See Most Recent

Same here - most of my items are relisted.  I maybe add 2-3 'new' items every fortnight, sometimes swapping out items I have had listed to wear for a while again if the fancy takes me.  I had to take a brooch off a jacket a couple of weeks ago because I had listed it then started wearing it again - naturally, that was the thing that sold.

Relists always qualify for the offer.

"There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
Søren Kierkegaard, Danish philosopher (1813 - 1855)
Message 16 of 16
See Most Recent
Got selling related questions? Start here: