Defect Rate Calculation

My girlfriends account is under restriction due to defect rate above 2% after she cancelled 5 orders last year when items had been damaged due to flooding.  Fully understand why thats happened (even though its extremely harsh).  Since then the defect rate started to decline but then went back up again after she removed 2 items she no longer wanted to sell and they classed it as a cancellation even though there was no sale, just a removal

On my account I can end an item without giving any reason. On hers she has to provide a reason to end an item and the only option she could use was 'no longer available'

Why are there 2 systems (in fact 3 because if she uses ebay on Apple Ipad its even worse) It seems grossly unfair that I can end items without a problem and yet she is punished for doing the same. These are not cancelled orders, they are just the removal of a listing,

Have spoken on the phone twice to customer services over a period of 6 weeks, they are unable to provide an answer. A request to remove a defect was declined and she was restricted to listing 5 items last month. She has a feedback of 99.5. It seems that if your a drop shoppper selling hundreds of items you can clock up 40-50 negatives a month and not be punished if your sales are high enough (good old statistics) but if you make a genuine error or just want to remove a listing you get punished and treated like a criminal.

Message 1 of 9
See Most Recent
8 REPLIES 8

Defect Rate Calculation

*vyolla*
Experienced Mentor

Did the listings have bids on them?

I know that eBay can sanction an account for ending listings early, but have never known them to do it.

Can you get a screenshot of the percentages section of her seller dashboard and post it here?

Message 2 of 9
See Most Recent

Defect Rate Calculation

Hello

No as I said there were no bids, they were Buy It Now items which she no longer wished to list as they had been on for a long time and were not ended early.  It appears we are caught in a cacth 22 but Im still curious as to why 2 systems. I can end a listing without question, she has to provide a reason.

Equally the only way to reduce her defect rate is to complete more sales without any problems, which is made more difficult to do as shes not allowed to list any more items now while restricted.

I cant provide dash board details as I dont have asccess to her account other than her feedback

Detailed seller ratings

Average for the last 12 months

Accurate description
Reasonable postage cost
Delivery time
Communication

All Feedback (2,090)

Message 3 of 9
See Most Recent

Defect Rate Calculation

Not feedback ratings  - the percentages on the seller dashboard ratings.

Click on the Seller Dashboard button here on this eBay guidance page:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/selling/selling/seller-performance-overview?id=4080&st=3&pos=2&query=Sel...

Message 4 of 9
See Most Recent

Defect Rate Calculation

As I said I dont have access to her account (she lives some distance away from me) at the time of the original mistake her defect rate rose to 3.2 ...it came down to 2.6 after 6 months ..now has gone back up because of the 2 'end listings' which they have classed as cancellations.

Ill submit a 'cancel defect request' but this doesnt resolve the problem of gettign it down below 2 or why there are multiple listing systems depending on platforms used etc. Its an unfair playing field

Message 5 of 9
See Most Recent

Defect Rate Calculation

"On my account I can end an item without giving any reason"

Iv'e never seen that before ,it usually gives options like ,error in listing ,no longer available etc.

Also ,is she restricted from selling completely or just limited ?.

The reason i ask is that once a seller goes below standard it's extremely difficult to get back on top as Ebay only give you a certain amount of time to do so.

If you go "outta time" they often suspend selling ability completely.

Have you ever logged into your account via her I.P. address or vice versa as any linked accounts can often get suspended as well.

Message 6 of 9
See Most Recent

Defect Rate Calculation

"Iv'e never seen that before ,it usually gives options like ,error in listing ,no longer available etc."

Depends where you go to end it:

Screenshot_20240328-163347~3.png

Screenshot_20240328-163400~2.png

Message 7 of 9
See Most Recent

Defect Rate Calculation

@billben2014 wrote:

As I said I dont have access to her account (she lives some distance away from me) at the time of the original mistake her defect rate rose to 3.2 ...it came down to 2.6 after 6 months ..now has gone back up because of the 2 'end listings' which they have classed as cancellations.

Ill submit a 'cancel defect request' but this doesnt resolve the problem of gettign it down below 2 or why there are multiple listing systems depending on platforms used etc. Its an unfair playing field

I appreciate that, but thought that she may have been able to provide you with a screenshot.

Without seeing the screenshot it's difficult to advise.  I'd be interested to see where the cancelled listings were placed as defects. As far as I'm aware there are no defects issued for ending fixed price Buy It Now listings, sellers do it all the time. 

Bottom line is though, the only way to move forward is to sell as many things as possible as soon as possible.

Message 8 of 9
See Most Recent

Defect Rate Calculation

I don't think your girlfriend is being treated like a criminal.

Ebay do not like disappointed buyers so cancelling 5 orders will have bought her to Ebay's attention.  The only way to get back from penalties and restrictions is to run a virtually perfect account.

If you read the section on ending a listing, it clearly shows that Ebay do not expect a seller to end their listings.

It also suggests that there may be penalties if you do so and states:

'Ending listings early disappoints bidders, so we may place limits and restrictions on your account if you are doing so regularly.'

Clearly, sellers who are already restricted should avoid ending listings for any reason.

I am sure that you understand why her account is being treated differently to yours, even if it seems unfair.

The only way that she can get rid of restrictions and get back to an above standard rating is to run her account perfectly, with no withdrawn items or cancelled sales for the next few months.

"There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
Søren Kierkegaard, Danish philosopher (1813 - 1855)
Message 9 of 9
See Most Recent