Buyers that order with free Second Class postage option and send a message asking for First Class

What is the most appropriate way to handle an order that comes with a message asking for First Class postage when this option was not selected at checkout? Do I cancel the order and ask them to resubmit, selecting the correct option during checkout? I just got such an order from someone with over 500 feedback - you'd think they would know the correct process. Do you think this is a ploy customers sometimes use to get a free postage upgrade? It's not the first time.

Message 1 of 7
See Most Recent
6 REPLIES 6

Buyers that order with free Second Class postage option and send a message asking for First Class

If they haven't paid then you can send them a revised invoice with the correct postage.

If they have paid , then yes cancel the order selecting Buyer Requests to cancel,  this refunds your seller fees and your seller performance is not affected.

Message the seller that you will be doing this, and the correct First class postage will then show on the new listing.

Message 2 of 7
See Most Recent

I used to tell the buyer that I could cancel and relist with the right postage, but in my experience* 2nd class was usually as quick as first. I think often they were just taking a punt that you would just send first class without charging them extra!

* That was in the days when RM took less than a week to deliver.

Message 3 of 7
See Most Recent

in my opinion, it is better to use a delivery bistrium so that the buyer is satisfied and is more likely to leave a good review

Message 4 of 7
See Most Recent

@radetek wrote:

in my opinion, it is better to use a delivery bistrium so that the buyer is satisfied and is more likely to leave a good review

Bistrium?

Isn't that taken for low BP.🤫

Message 5 of 7
See Most Recent

A not uncommon occurence we find but for some reason seasoned buyers are not seeing expedited services

If its a high value order we may take the hit, if its low value we advise we cant add it on and can cancel and they can repurchase.

Respond to the communication, fast and very courteous and letting them know the listing did have expedited services and the services you offer, as above customers for some reason sometimes just dont see/choose these services, maybe in a rush, forgot to add it to the order I know I haveve done it my self, but those with a genuine requirement will happily pay and are appreciative of good service

The important bit is making sure you deal with a what may be a genuine customers need

Chancers normally say its ok not to bother , just follow up with prompt/improved shipping time to make sure it arrives on time if not early (if you can) and drop them a line confirming its been shipped promptly.

Message 6 of 7
See Most Recent

I think you can use Send an Invoice with the higher postal figure. I don't think you need to cancel the first  order. It is a long while since I had to do this but it did work.

Message 7 of 7
See Most Recent
Got selling related questions? Start here: