Buyer Harrassment

I am brand new to eBay. I have only been on a few months, and this is my first sale. 

Because of this I stated "collection only" whilst I get to grips with P&P etc.

I gave the successful buyer several options for collection dates/time and he/she refused all of them. Then they said they wanted to pay PayPal and then I leave the item "behind a bin" which obviously I wasn't happy to do. We finally agreed a time and I gave them my address.

Then last minute,  he/she said they wanted to cancel, and has been emailing me getting more and more insistent requesting I cancel the sale. I said I would cancel Monday or Tuesday. (The bid ended Thursday). From what I've read I think I'll get charged fees if  I cancel this myself before 4 days? And he/she are insisting because they will get an "unpaid" black mark and this is why he/she is harassing me? Is that right?

I'm quite concerned as communication is getting more and more intimidating. 

I don't know what to do.

should I wait 4 days and go the proper channels or just cancel?

Message 1 of 8
See Most Recent
7 REPLIES 7

Buyer Harrassment

As it's not a clear case of non-payment I probably wouldn't go down that route but it's up to you really.    You could cancel now using "Something wrong with buyer's address" and you shouldn't get a defect on your account.    There's no excuse for abuse.   Best way to deal with that is to not reply again and put their ID on your blocked bidder list:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/bmgt/BuyerBlock

Message 2 of 8
See Most Recent

Buyer Harrassment

plpmr
Experienced Mentor

if they have not paid cancel on day 5 with - buyer did not pay, they get a strike, you get your selling fees back and no feedback can be left.

Message 3 of 8
See Most Recent

Buyer Harrassment

To add to the @plpmr post - If you cancel the order using 'Problem with the buyer's address' they can leave feedback.  Your buyer sounds like the type that will leave a neg - but maybe I'm misjudging them.  If you cancel as 'Unpaid' you avoid a neg.

It's unfortunate that you've encountered a problem eBay buyer so early in your selling journey, but please don't let it bother you.  If you continue to sell on eBay, you will encounter more of them.  It's just part and parcel of being an eBay seller.  Don't be intimidated - there's lots of nuts out there, and most of them shop on eBay.

You can block any more messages from the buyer by clicking the 'Action' button on the message and selecting 'Block this buyer'.  Then go to https://www.ebay.co.uk/bmgt/buyerrequirements and block the buyer.  Once they're blocked, they can't bid on or buy any of your items.

Message 4 of 8
See Most Recent

Buyer Harrassment

In addition to the advice you have already been given, here's another piece of advice that would be worth remembering just in case this buyer does turn out to be a bit of a nutter who just won't stop harassing you.  It will also serve you well in the future should you be unfortunate enough to experience a similar situation with a different buyer.

When a buyer starts leaving abusive/intimidating messages add them to your Blocked Bidders list as has already been suggested, but if at any point prior to doing that you try to reason with the buyer in an attempt to resolve the matter amicably make sure that your replies come across as calm and factual.  At all costs avoid saying anything of a retaliatory nature that is only likely to enrage the buyer further.  Problematic buyers can often end up leaving negative feedback, so in the event that the buyer leaves unjustified negative feedback get onto eBay's Customer Services as soon as possible after the feedback has been left and ask for the comment to be removed.   Emphasise to eBay that the buyer has been harassing you on a regular basis and draw their attention to the messages in question.  If you can prove to the eBay representative you're speaking to that you didn't say or do anthing to provoke that feedback and eBay end up concluding that the buyer has overstepped the mark and/or breached eBay policy relating to feedback left then they may well remove any negative feedback left.  In such a situation the removal of negative feedback would also automatically include removal of the associated defect on your account, so all you need to do after that is ensure that you've added the problem buyer to your Blocked Bidders List so that they cannot purchase anything else from you at any point in the future.

Unfortunately you may continue to receive further messages from the buyer for a week or two after adding him/her to your Blocked Bidders List, but once the blocks have kicked in you should not receive any further messages from the buyer you've blocked.   On the other hand, if you were to add a buyer to your Blocked Bidders List before they had even entered into a transaction with you - for example, if their questions via the Ask Seller A Question link had made you wary and you had a gut feeling that they could end up being problematic - then the blocks would kick in straightaway as a result of the fact that in that situation the potential  buyer had not yet purchased something from you.  In that type of situation they wouldn't be able to purchase anything from you or contact you again, especially if you've got the "Don't Allow Blocked Buyers To Contact Me" option activated on your account.

With regards to the "Don't Allow Blocked Buyers To Contact Me" option you only have to activate this once and it will stay active forever, or until you change your mind and decide to deactivate it, so you would not keep on having to repeatedly activate it every time you add a person to your Blocked Bidders List.

Message 5 of 8
See Most Recent

Buyer Harrassment

Thank you everyone for taking the time to respond and help.

I don't feel it's justified to leave me negative feedback when I haven't done anything wrong. I think he doesn't want a non-payment  against his account which is why he's messaging me, getting more and more insistent I cancel. But then I incur a fee, which again I don't deserve. 
it's a horrible situation to be in.

I'll block him first, then cancel when the "unpaid" option comes up.

I've been super polite as I don't want him on my doorstep. I've given him opportunities and options but he just didn't want to collect. Which makes me frustrated as then why bid?

Anyway, thank you everyone for you help. It's given me some confidence.

Message 6 of 8
See Most Recent

Buyer Harrassment

@annapol_4444 wrote:
Thank you everyone for taking the time to respond and help.

I don't feel it's justified to leave me negative feedback when I haven't done anything wrong. I think he doesn't want a non-payment  against his account which is why he's messaging me, getting more and more insistent I cancel. But then I incur a fee, which again I don't deserve. 
it's a horrible situation to be in.

You won't incur a seller fee if you selet the reason....  Problem with Buyer's Address.

@annapol_4444

@annapol_4444
Message 7 of 8
See Most Recent

Buyer Harrassment

I wouldn't feel bad about anything as you wanted collection of your item & the buyer has not collected when it sounds like you've been very accommodating - by going through the unpaid process you'll be helping other sellers avoid this buyer. 

Worth noting that if you offer collection, then you would probably want to select cash payment as one of the payment options.  Although you can't stop someone from paying online, if they do they are able to open a case for not as described & get their money back, either through Ebay, or their payment provider/credit card/bank.

When you list an item, under 'delivery options' click on 'collection in person', then scroll a little further down & click on the blue link, 'Change'.

You get a pop up & the option to tick the box for 'cash on pickup'.

Best of luck with your future listings/sales.

Message 8 of 8
See Most Recent
Got selling related questions? Start here: