Authenticity Guarantee - Totally unaccountable and appeal process is Not Fit For Purpose

I recently sold a watch that happened to mention in the description that the receipt was included as part of the sale, along with booklets and the original warranty card.
I packaged everything, including the receipt, which was placed inside a Watches of Switzerland booklet, and sent it for Authentication. As always, I made a video of my packaging process, right up to sticking the label on the package, clearly showing everything that was included in the package and the condition of the watch.
The watch passed through authentication and was delivered to the buyer, who contacted me to say that although he was very happy with the watch he did not receive the receipt. I immediately sent him a PDF copy of the receipt together with the video footage of me packaging the paper version.
Regardless he raised a return request on the basis that what he received did not match the description. I was concerned that something untoward was happening, so I immediately contacted ebay to tell them that I had packaged the original receipt and that I had video footage of doing so. I explained that I had sent a PDF copy and the video footage to the buyer and sent ebay a copy of the PDF. I explained that I couldn’t see where I could attach the video footage. I was advised that I’d be contacted prior to the outcome of the Return request. After a 4 week delay, without any explanation and without contacting me at all, Ebay accepted the return.

I appealed immediately I was notified that the return was accepted. The so called "Appeal" process consisted of a phone call from an Ebay representative who then transferred me to the Authenticators.

I tried to explain that it was the Authenticators decision I was appealing against but was transferred anyway.

When I got through to the Authenticator dept. I asked how the watch passed authentication if it didn't match the description, I was told that the receipt would not have formed part of the Authentication process.

I pointed out that the Authenticators are supposed to ensure that the item matches the description in all aspects to avoid this very situation, and as the lack of receipt was the single reason for the return, clearly a mistake had been made during Authentication. I was told that it would be impossible to check every piece of paper included in all the packages they receive. I then asked, how could they be so sure that the receipt wasn't in the package I sent if they didn’t check everything and was told that CCTV footage had been used. I explained that the receipt was in the WoS booklet and could have therefore been missed and that I had my own video footage of the packaging. (Freeze frame of my video is attached here). I requested the opportunity to compare their footage with mine and was told that this would not be possible for security reasons. I offered to send my footage for consideration, but this was also refused for no apparent reason. I pointed out that in any dispute, it is normal and correct for all sides to be allowed to provide their own evidence and interrogate counter evidence. The representative went on to say that this was not a dispute, but a return request. Even though he’d called it a dispute throughout our conversation. I told him that I was disputing the outcome but was told that unless I had anything further to add he was closing the appeal. I tried to argue that this could not possibly be the whole Appeal process and requested details on how to escalate the dispute. I was told that his decision was now final, and no escalation was offered.

I’ve now had money deducted from a different account but have not received the watch as I am on holiday.

I do not want to accept this return as, firstly, I won’t get back exactly what I sent Ebay and secondly,the watch has been out of my possession for 4 weeks, nearly 6 by the time I get home, and I have no faith that the Authenticators have checked the watch correctly.

I really can't comprehend that in this day and age there would be this level of arrogance and unaccountability. As a Seller we pay a fee to Ebay for a service, which includes Authentication. If that service is faulty or lacking in integrity there must be a statutory and transparent complaints process that doesn't start and finish with the same entity you are complaining about.

Ebay’s own Authentication T & Cs clearly state:

“The Authentication Partner will inspect the item within two (2) business days of receipt at the facility and the authenticated item will then be sent to the buyer as soon as possible. This check will include inspection of the watch for authenticity, and for accuracy against the item listing.

- In which case how did they Authenticate the watch and contents if they didn’t find the receipt? They clearly didn’t check the package I sent them thoroughly and would not have any real idea if the receipt was contained or not. CCTV could not pick up a receipt that was placed in a booklet.

“eBay assumes the delivery risk from the Authentication Partner to the buyer and any items lost or damaged at the Authentication Partner facility.”

-I have video footage that the receipt was included so, if the buyer did not receive it, it must surely have been lost in authentication.

So, my question is where do I go next with this?

There must be complaints process, but the Ebay website appears almost deliberately obscure when I look. Every click seems to take you back to the “Contact Us” page.

Is there a high level escalation that I can follow?

Is there an external body that I can go to, such as an ombudsman?

Has anyone had a similar experience?

I look forward to hearing from someone.

Message 1 of 44
See Most Recent
43 REPLIES 43

Authenticity Guarantee - Totally unaccountable and appeal process is Not Fit For Purpose

I am still waiting for a decision on my buyer's return to the Authenticator. It is over a week since the watch arrived back with the Authenticator.....unable to spend or use the money given eBay will probably just refund in the buyer's favour. Customer Services are unable to give any indication and refuse to be drawn on the fact the buyer has removed the tamper seal prior to his return of the watch!! Which given their wording should invalidate the return process. 

Whatever the outcome of this; I have no faith in the eBay lisiting tool (it got me into this mess), as a genuine seller and the varacity of the AG process. It's not fit for purpose and it seems fails to adhere to the stated principles. I will not be selling anything on eBay ever again.

Message 41 of 44
See Most Recent

My watch I sold arrived back today, no info from eBay, no call/msg from ebay Customer Services etc......I would warn anyone using the AG eBay service that it is not fit for purpose with no appeal and as usual with eBay is weighted to the whim of the buyer and a 'buy it try...don't like....return policy' even if tags removed etc. 

Message 42 of 44
See Most Recent

The experience is not much better from a buyer's point of view, either.

To be frank, I was very wary of buying an expensive watch on eBay, as I am sure are many people. There are lots of Chinese fakes out there, some are remarkably difficult to spot, and historically eBay has been a great place for unscrupulous sellers to defraud unsuspecting buyers, as has been widely reported in the past. To their credit, eBay have introduced the Authenticity Guarantee service and on paper (as well as in reviews) this sounds like an excellent approach to stamping out watch fraud on the platform. So, here is my first time buyer’s review of the process.

I bought a beautiful and rare Omega Chronograph. It was not cheap by any means, but it came with lots of evidence to corroborate its authenticity, had been restored by Omega themselves, and in as good as new condition. So, I was happy to hand over the significant amount of money I had saved up for just such a watch, particularly with the eBay authenticity guarantee to provide me with complete reassurance. The watch came with the original box, paperwork, manual etc, and I was very much looking forward to receiving it!

The seller duly sent the watch to Stoll in Ruislip (eBay's UK authenticator), where it was inspected for authenticity and accuracy of the listing. This took a little while, but the watch passed this stage just fine, and I received a notification to state this. All very reassuring! A short while later, I received an email notification from PackLink (the company eBay use to arrange deliveries) to say that the watch would be with me the following day, using DPD. Then the DPD app on my phone pinged a notification that delivery was the next day. So, I took the day off work to make sure I was here and waited. At 8:30, as promised, DPD sent me a message to confirm my delivery slot (10:30 - 11:30) and driver's name etc. Then, just over an hour later, DPD sent me another notification, this time to say that the consignor (PackLink) had requested that the watch be returned to them. There was no explanation, nor is there any way to contact PackLink to find out what is going on (believe me, I tried for quite some time). I did manage to speak with DPD, who simply said that their contract is with PackLink and that as PackLink had requested the package back, DPD are returning it to PackLink.

After lots more wasted time (well, at least I had taken the day off work....) I managed to get through to eBay. They said this was "very unusual" and could not figure out what was going on, but that they would look into it and get back to me.  To be fair, a few hours later they did just this. They said that after speaking to DPD, PackLink and Stoll that it transpired that Stoll had sent the watch but forgotten to include the original box. At some point this had been spotted by Stoll, presumably someone saw it still lying on a desk / the floor / whatever, and so Stoll asked for the package back so they could reunite the watch with its box. That return was requested at 09:34, and DPD were in the process of returning it. The eBay representative said that the likely outcome was that Stoll would receive it either later on that Thursday or Friday, so I would hopefully get the watch on Friday or Saturday (I checked and DPD do deliver on Saturdays here).

However, it is now nearly 4pm on the following Monday, over 4 days and 6 hours since the watch was requested to be returned to Stoll to simply have the box added to the package and resent out to me. Checking eBay order progress and for any delivery updates in the DPP app, there is no sign of the package, nor is there any information to state what is happening or when I might finally receive my watch (which is supposed to be a birthday present this week). The DPD app shows that the watch arrived back at the DPD distribution centre, local to Stoll, scanned in on Thursday afternoon, but there the trail ends, with no recorded movements since then. I contacted eBay once more today. They see the same thing as me and also thought it was unusual that the watch had not yet got to me, let alone arrived back at Stoll for the box to be added. eBay have said that this could either be that Stoll may have actually received the watch back but have failed to update the system, or that DPD had been unable to deliver the watch back to Stoll for some reason. Either way, eBay are looking into this and will get back to me.

I am becoming increasingly concerned (as is the seller) that the negligence of Stoll (who, let’s remember, verified / signed off that the original box was present, but then failed to package it up with the watch) have not only delayed the delivery process, but this watch might even be lost as a result. I will update here as and when I hear more, but so far, it has been 11 days since I paid a lot of money for this watch, and at this point I have no idea where it is or when (if ever) I will receive it.

Message 43 of 44
See Most Recent

Adding to this thread.

After my watch arriving on Wednesday (2 days since), I decided to google and came across this thread which then I contacted ebay asking about the status of the watch authentication.

For context, I sold the watch as used condition.

In the description, I mentioned how it has been used but is in "excellent" condition. I noticed a few people mentioned how quickly their authentication process was, so I enquired via Live Chat to see what was going on as it has been at the authenticators for 2 days.

Here's the response I got from Live Chat:

"Perfect we had to reach out to the buyer as our Authenticators felt the condition of the watch was not clearly shown but the buyer has come back to us today to say they are happy to accept watch so we will send it on to the buyer and release your funds to you".

A few back and forths later, I received this:

"Basically we provided your buyer with more pictures of the case side but the buyer are happy to accept it"

Just now as I am typing this, I have received an update from eBay saying the watch is now fully authenticated.

Let's hope I don't run into the same problem where the authenticators "forget" to send the box....

Message 44 of 44
See Most Recent
Got selling related questions? Start here: