Are People Still Using Yodel?

They don't have a great rep. but i'd been using them pretty reliably for a while. However, with the uncertainty over possible administration i went back to Royal Mail and FedEx. As things seem to be resolved now, is it safe to return? What would happen to in-transit parcels if they did go '*bleep*-up' after all?

Message 1 of 13
See Most Recent
12 REPLIES 12

rjwilmsi
Conversationalist

According to their website the business has been bought out and is operational. So I suppose if you were happy with their service before then you can resume using them.

Personally I have concluded that Evri and Yodel are not good enough and are generally unsuitable for retail customers posting our items of any value (could be OK for items that are unbreakable and or very low value). But if they work for you then do what works for you.

I would assume that if a courier does fail then it could take several weeks for parcels to eventually be returned to sender, after administrators are brought in to sort out the position of the company.

Message 2 of 13
See Most Recent

I had been a yodel user for last few years and I can honesy say (via parcel2go) out of the 250 items I send a month I may have 1 go missing (if that) so yes, they have a bad rep, but in contrast I prefer them to RM or Evri. 

RM are appalling, poor tracking/tech/customer service but I will use them for Flats.  I check all my orders on What3words and if i see the address as not obvious i put instructions on the delivery. 

I stopped using them while they were possibly go into administration but Ive gone back to them as now bought out and all deliveries are fine again. 

Message 3 of 13
See Most Recent

I have used Yodel since they undercut Evri a few years back and they have been great in that time, they have however just lost a parcel earlier this month. But I must have sent over 1500 parcels with them over the years and this is only the 2nd to go missing in all that time

Message 4 of 13
See Most Recent

one thing I will add is Yodel CS and Packlink are awful, id rather bang my head against the wall BUT Parcel2go are great and Ive since discovered if someone is chasing a parcels etc and I put their tracking in my Yodel App I get an image of delivery or (out for delivery)  which saves me even contacting any CS so thats a plus for me.

Parcel2go on most occassions with also provide GPS map via chat (often have to ask for it) so that and the image is great for me to give to buyers.

Message 5 of 13
See Most Recent

Complete opposite for me, Yodel and Evri seem incredibly slow and unreliable whenever I am forced to receive something via them. I use RM48 for most of my sales with no issues, often even arrives in the 48 hour window which is fantastic for the price.

Been sitting watching Evri parcels sitting "at my delivery depot" since Monday with no movement...

Message 6 of 13
See Most Recent

I use Yodel out of sheer convenience. The Collect+ are just outside my son's nursery so only a short five minute walk and always open unlike RM who have one parcel postbox about 10 minutes away in a completely different direction and another regular postbox another 10 minutes away whilst having closed all other red pillarboxes within a 20 minute radius here in East Ham with no notice if they will ever be reinstated. And the post offices are horrible out here - the two on the high street both North and South I avoid like the plague and the only one with great staff is actually in Upton Park - 15 minute walk. Therefore I often book the postie to come collect Tracked 48hr when I need to use RM and grudgingly would wish they'd take the eBay large letters as well given they've covered up the pillarboxes.

So far I have had 3 parcels being delayed but found and delivered and only one with contents likely trampled on. The Evri parcel shop is 15 minutes away in yet another direction so that's a no starter as well, however the delivery guy is just fine and never had anything lost, neither sent or received since moving here a couple of years ago.

Message 7 of 13
See Most Recent

I nearly always use collection for RM48 but yeah, it's always small/medium parcel for the things I handle.

Surprised they don't collect large letters (never knew that), I don't think I've ever seen a parcel postbox up here so collection is pretty much the only option. Local post office is a once a week thing... I have always heard that all post can be handed to the postman in rural areas due to basically no postboxes anywhere but never actually tested this and doubt it's still true.

Always confuses me how barebones RM really is compared to other countries, was like this before privatisation too. Where's the pre-paid boxes etc? it feels like the separation of Post Office and Royal Mail has led to this really strange service that isn't set up at all to cope with changing demands.

Message 8 of 13
See Most Recent

@decalicious wrote:

I use Yodel out of sheer convenience. The Collect+ are just outside my son's nursery so only a short five minute walk and always open unlike RM who have one parcel postbox about 10 minutes away in a completely different direction and another regular postbox another 10 minutes away whilst having closed all other red pillarboxes within a 20 minute radius here in East Ham with no notice if they will ever be reinstated. And the post offices are horrible out here - the two on the high street both North and South I avoid like the plague and the only one with great staff is actually in Upton Park - 15 minute walk. Therefore I often book the postie to come collect Tracked 48hr when I need to use RM and grudgingly would wish they'd take the eBay large letters as well given they've covered up the pillarboxes.

So far I have had 3 parcels being delayed but found and delivered and only one with contents likely trampled on. The Evri parcel shop is 15 minutes away in yet another direction so that's a no starter as well, however the delivery guy is just fine and never had anything lost, neither sent or received since moving here a couple of years ago.

I don't know why you imagine RM won't collect large letters.  I book for my postie to collect, just the same as small and medium parcels.  Though I don't book anything through ebay, I do it direct on RM's site.  That way ebay doesn't know I normally despatch much earlier than my targets and doesn't screw me over by telling buyers over-optimistic delivery dates.  Proprietary algorithm?  Or bug??  Or just plain evil.

Message 9 of 13
See Most Recent

Hi,

RM will collect large letters from you.

I do all my ebay labels on the RM website (LL & parcels) & they collect no problem.

Debi

Message 10 of 13
See Most Recent

jond1492
Conversationalist

For me, it's RM as the best, everytime.  I trust them, they deliver, and when things go wrong (which is almost never), they're fixed.

Yodel are okay, but not by much.

Evri/Hermes I would NEVER, EVER use, even if you paid me to do so!  They've just an evil, duplicitous, traitorous organisation, who don't deserve to call themselves a "delivery company"!

Message 11 of 13
See Most Recent

Royal Mail only. I use Tracked48 for almost everything and never had any issues.

Message 12 of 13
See Most Recent

Thanks for the responses. Some interesting views, but not that many relevant to my central dilemma.

My guess is that if Yodel (or any other courier) went bust, sellers would be in the position of having to recompense buyers for stranded parcels and claim with the admistrators, hoping eventually for a few pence in the pound. Perhaps this is unduly pessimistic.

I've gone back to Yodel, but purchasing via ebay in the hope that may give some 'insurance' against failure.  Perhaps this is unduly optimistic.

But it was 3p cheaper than going direct 🙂

Message 13 of 13
See Most Recent
Got selling related questions? Start here: