24 Years and This is No Longer Viable

Just a rant here. 24 years selling on ebay and 2024 has made me ready to pack it in.

Fees - crippling. Unless I find it on the floor, buying and selling is now impossible to make any sort of profit. Ebay and couriers make more per sale than me. 

Buyers - 100% feedback on 1200 sales but in the last 20 sales, nothing but issues. A buyer who was 100% trying her luck to claim an item was undelivered (I won but ebay took no action), a buyer with an inability to convers with any manners (this could be a society issue 🤣), 2 buyers who changed their minds after asking questions AFTER the auctions ended... but don't forget, ebay removed the ability to leave them anything but positive feedback years ago. They thrive, we die.

Facebook market place - as much as FB is full of time wasters and muppets, the ability to sell cash in hand means I can charge so much less and keep my money. Ebay response to this threat? Increase fees.

Pay to win - anyone else notice how many things don't exist when you search on eBay? Search through Google and so many more things appear. Is this about promoting items? 

Long term user, first time community poster. Rant not over just TBC.

Thanks for listening 🤣

Message 1 of 8
See Most Recent
7 REPLIES 7

As a private seller of your own items why would you be concerned with "profit"?

If you are buying to sell then you are not a private seller.

Someone who ignores feedback policies should not be complaining about others.

Message 2 of 8
See Most Recent

Any business masquerading as a private seller is part of the problem. 

Message 3 of 8
See Most Recent

papso22
Experienced Mentor

Surely all items sold by a genuine private seller have been 'found on the floor'?

Message 4 of 8
See Most Recent

You're running a business on a private account. I have no sympathy. 

Message 5 of 8
See Most Recent

I'm not sure, even if registered correctly, you've managed to make a living anyway. 1190 feedback since 2002 isn't even an average of 1 p/w, but as pointed out, your a private seller, so profit doesn't come into it!

In all seriousness though, if you are earning a living trading, you need to deal with it before hmrc get your details next year.

Message 6 of 8
See Most Recent

The point is being missed

if even a PRIVATE sellers

Are finding it hard to cope,

what chance a business seller ,

in the vicious circle of  fees

and costs

When will ebay realise to survive, sellers must profit

Message 7 of 8
See Most Recent

Add corporation tax and VAT onto that and it leaves crumbs for the business owner.  It's called the 'reward' for doing things legitimately.

Message 8 of 8
See Most Recent
Got selling related questions? Start here: