1st class signed for lost by Royal Mail / Trackable or not?

Hi,

I posted a parcel almost 3 weeks ago with 1st class signed for.
After a week the buyer contacted me saying it didn't arrive. With the tracking code provided by RM I can only see "We've got it", but they don't say much more than that.
I called RM and a lady told me that she can see from the tracking code that the item is in a RM centre somewhere in Chelmsford. I told her I can't see any of this information and she replied I can't but RM staff can on their own system.
I felt relieved, but I called RM again 2 days later and a very rude agent told me it's not possible to follow or track the item with a code for a signed-for parcel. When I insisted, telling her that her colleague just 2 days before thought otherwise, she hung up the phone on me (literally!) saying "Sorry I already told you 3 times signed for parcels can't be tracked. Have a good day!" 
I tried to call RM one more time on Friday and again another agent told me that signed-for parcels can't be tracked and they don't know where it is. 
Is anyone familiar with this? Are Signed-for parcels trackable or not trackable by RM people?

Thank you

Message 1 of 6
See Most Recent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Yes and most likely lost. Put in a claim to royal mail,

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6
See Most Recent
5 REPLIES 5

What exact service did you use?

Basic parcels get a delivery scan about 85% of the time

Signed for get  the same scan but with a signature roughly the same percentage

Tracked seviceses will say just that on the label signature optional

Special is like tracked but quicker, All have different insurance levels £20 at the most basic.

Ebay except a delvery scan as proof of delivery.

so depending on which wervice you exactly used will give you the answer.

Message 2 of 6
See Most Recent

Hi, Thank you for your reply.
I am not sure if I am getting it though.
I didn't buy the label on ebay, I bought it directly from Royal Mail.
It was a Signed-for 1st class parcel.

So delivery scan means that they scan upon delivery, no? 
But in this case it has not been delivered yet. 

Message 3 of 6
See Most Recent

Its a parcel so gets a scan at the door no matter where you but it from. Ebay also buy from reoyal mail.

It is just not tracked. tracking means you will know where in the network it is.

The royal mail advisor ypu first spoke to was telling you a truth they can trace every item that gets a scan internally.

The last scan info was what you where told. that doesnt meas it was delivered.

so service you bought was 1st class (means 1-2days) with a signature (gets sacn then they collect sigamture) this was not a tracked service so no updates your customer can see.

Message 4 of 6
See Most Recent

I see, thank you, but that means that RM would know where it is at the moment, no? 
Or can it be lost in transition, meaning that maybe it left the Chelmsford warehouse and never arrived to another RM mid-point?

Message 5 of 6
See Most Recent

Yes and most likely lost. Put in a claim to royal mail,

Message 6 of 6
See Most Recent
Got selling related questions? Start here: