Promoted Listings Standard Clarification Needed

Please could I get clarification from someone who knows who may have read or seen something (because I've looked and cannot find it) or from Ebay on the following issues I have noticed with PLS:

When you search directly in the search box for an item number, and that item has been promoted, it appears as 1 result as a sponsored listing. Why is this? 
Example, I regularly tell my customers my Ebay item numbers when they are looking for things, they search for that item using the number, it appears as sponsored, they buy it and I am charged promoted listings fees despite the fact that I have directly told someone what an item is and they have bought it. 
Ebay has not shown or highlighted this item to customers over others and made me the extra sale I wouldn't ordinarily have had so why are these items all appearing as sponsored?

When you search for an item using a key word on Ebay, and you have an item that falls within that search query, and your item is promoted, it only appears in search results as sponsored and not an organic result.
It used to appear twice - once as sponsored giving it the boost to the top of the page and then again organically within the other results.

What seems to be happening now is, if you have promoted your item, it will sell only as promoted and not organically.

The only way it can sell organically is if someone looks at your shop and browses or you send them a direct link to your item. Is this the case?

Message 1 of 6
See Most Recent
5 REPLIES 5

All I can figure out is that it costs 2.99 whether you sell or not so I make to make sure I stay opted out of it. Seems like a blatant cash leeching scheme to me. Tonight is the first time I have seen this box pop up? When did it start?

Message 2 of 6
See Most Recent

You are correct and it is a cynical money grab.

There is a work around for this. Use Sell Similar and add or subtract a character from the title, then send this new item number to the buyer. Changing the title slightly means you won't run foul of the duplicate listing policy.

Message 3 of 6
See Most Recent

I am unsure what you mean sorry, regarding the 2.99? I am talking about promoted listings standard where you pay a % of your item price as the fee.

Message 4 of 6
See Most Recent

Yes, it certainly doesn't seem to be great business practice. The same happens when I search for your items, all are sponsored, no organic option.

The question is, how many promoted items do people sell these days that don't come up as "Sold via promoted listings" !?

Message 5 of 6
See Most Recent

I realised today our organic listings  position is not showing in searches anymore, only our promoted ones. I have just mentioned this on the business seller board promoted listing thread. Do a search on your own items and you will only find the promoted listings showing. The non promoted ones are no longer coming up in searches unless you dont promote at all.

The search used to show the promoted listing higher up the search then the organic one in its organic position. That isnt happening anymore from what i can see.

Message 6 of 6
See Most Recent
Got Promoted Listings Related Questions? Start here: