Johnson Bros item

Hi everyone. I need some help in identiyfing a piece of Johnson Bros pottery. I would be grateful if anyone could tell me what this piece is used for and the name of the pattern and its age.

Thanks in advance

Nicholas

Message 1 of 4
See Most Recent
3 REPLIES 3

Johnson Bros item

Is it a cruet set base?Without the 3 inserts.

Message 2 of 4
See Most Recent

Johnson Bros item

Hi I dont think it is a cruet set base because it is only 10x3x4cms. I was thinking along the lines of a knife/cutlery rest or place card holder. I am on a mission to find out because there is nothing like it on all of the listings on the various sites I have looked on. Very frustrating. I have attached a photo of the backstamp.

Nicholas

Message 3 of 4
See Most Recent

Johnson Bros item

Hi, your Johnson Brothers piece dates at c 1913, i am afraid that i do not know what the design is called.  Looking at the decorative, aesthic style and design of this piece, and of course taking into consideration the date, i should think that it's a 'calling card holder', which as i am sure you will know, would of been placed on a table inside the door of home for callers to leave a card.  I personally think that the colourful decoration of this piece would fit perfectly within a richly decorated Victorian/Art Deco style dwelling.  Hope this helps a little.       

Message 4 of 4
See Most Recent