Help identifying old porcelain plates

Hi, 

i found these lovely old plates in a charity shop yesterday and bought them since much of our 15 year old supermarket crockery is chipped and needs to go in the bin.

I got 4 side plates and a rectangular plate, that's all there was.  All have the same red numbering to that back, but only one, the rectangular plate, has another mark, and i am unsure whether it's actually a mark or just an errant bit of paint!

Does anyone know anything about the plates?  I think they are porcelain as I can see light through them.  They look to have some age. Several hours of googling last night gave me nothing, but I don't know where to start as I know nothing about porcelain.

Are they even English?  What sort of age might they be?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Message 1 of 6
See Most Recent
5 REPLIES 5

And here is a pic of the marks...

Message 2 of 6
See Most Recent

Yes these are English - British at least. The number is a pattern number and they appear to be c1830-40 ish. These should be identifiable.

If you are a facebook user, the British Pottery and Porcelain Discussion Group on there has many very knowledgable members who will probably be able to help with this.

Message 3 of 6
See Most Recent

Jes, many thanks, that is both interesting and helpful.  I had figured the plates were perhaps turn of the century, but i hadn't considered they might be as old as you say.  Pleased to know they are British, i have just been wading through hundreds of google images for french porcelain, but none was looking terribly similar.

unfortunately I'm not a facebook user, so I shall have to stick with google.

thanks again.

Message 4 of 6
See Most Recent

Hello

Excellent find! This is Machin, nicely marked with a pattern number, they are dessert plates , very collectable, and dating before 1831.

Have a look Bill Thom & Philip Miller "Machin".

Message 5 of 6
See Most Recent

Oh wow, great info! Thankyou!

i had a quick google and i see Thom and Miller have a book about these patterns.

off out with the dogs now but i will have a look in earnest when i get back.

Many thanks for your help Mopsik.

Message 6 of 6
See Most Recent