Return Phone to Honkong

Hi There,

Thanks for reading this post.

I bought a phone last month and unfortunately the Seller has sent me a phone that is Chinese version and is it mentioned on the box - "For Sale in China"

I got in touch with the Seller and told him he has sent the wrong item and I want to refund.

He accepted the refund after making me wait for 1 week.

He has sent me the address, contact and phone number.

This means I have to ship this phone back to Hongkong...since phones have batteries most of the courier companies have declined.

Only FedEX through who this phone came are most likely option to return.

Now the issue is 

a) Customs - How to handle this part? FedEX, Seller or me...if me...I don't know what to fill , where and how

b) Cost - The courier cost to send this from UK to HongKong is quiet high....who should bear this cost me or Seller....technically it is their fault for sending me a phone that is not fit for me, not the one I paid for on eBay.

Could someone please help on how to handle this situation.

Regards,

Raj.

Message 1 of 20
See Most Recent
19 REPLIES 19

Return Phone to Honkong

Did you open a return case or just contact the seller?

If it was the latter then open a return case now.

If the item wasn't as described the seller should pay for the return.

If it's returned to a UK address eBay can provide a pre paid returns label.

It gets more complicated with overseas sellers.

They can promise to reimburse postage costs but don't.

Was the item dispatched from the UK or Hongkong?

I've read somewhere that if it was dispatched from the UK then it's supposed to be returned to a UK address. 

This page will help you open a return if you haven't already.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/buying/returns-refunds/return-item-refund?id=4041 

Message 2 of 20
See Most Recent

Return Phone to Honkong

Thanks for your reply.

This phone arrived from HongKong via FedEX.

I initiated the return request 5th Jan, Seller replied only on 12th Jan accepting my returns request.

He has sent me Hongkong address and contact to send back the phone.

This is where I am struggling...it is expensive and the process seems to be tedious as it involved Customs clearance.

Since phone has a battery it makes things more complicated to ship, most couriers are not accepting saying battery and phone has to be separate but then this is not something I will ever do on a brand new phone.

I am stuck...I don't know how to get eBay to help as well.

Message 3 of 20
See Most Recent

Return Phone to Honkong

The seller should be paying for the return if you picked the correct reason.

I think you need to talk to eBay customer services.

Try this link, it should bypass the automated assistant.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/eua?id=5275&mkevt=1&mkpid 

Message 4 of 20
See Most Recent

Return Phone to Honkong

I can't help you with the customs charges as I don't know how that works but I do know that your seller has to either pay for return or refund you without returning.

We had a clarification from katie@ebay

to say that overseas sellers still have to abide by the same rules as everyone else regarding returns.

So what I would do is escalate your case and write in the comments that the seller has not sent you the money to buy a label. If neccessary contact ebay on the link posted by @douglaspuglas

******************************************************************************************
Powered by cats Cat Happy
Message 5 of 20
See Most Recent

Return Phone to Honkong

What location did it state on the actual listing ?.

Many overseas sellers state a UK address as the location and if that is what seller stated you only have to return to a UK address.

If it was shown as located overeas you have to request a return to that address.

This can sometimes prove costly.

Message 6 of 20
See Most Recent

Return Phone to Honkong

Hi There,

Thanks for your reply.

This came from HongKong and the return address is to HongKong.

This is where things are getting difficult for me.

Sending a phone with battery within it is a challenge and also this requires customs clearance as well.

I am having to do all this because the seller messed it up

I am talking to eBay let's see what they can do.

Thanks once again.

Message 7 of 20
See Most Recent

Return Phone to Honkong

Thanks a lot.

I have contacted eBay and they advised me to contact seller once more and wait for 24hrs more.

Let's see what happens.

Thanks.

Message 8 of 20
See Most Recent

Return Phone to Honkong

Why on earth buy a phone from HK? That is just asking for trouble for so many reasons. I wouldn't even buy one from a UK seller on Ebay - far too many horror stories. Good luck though. 

Message 9 of 20
See Most Recent

Return Phone to Honkong

Correct...big mistake...lesson learnt.

Hope to get out of this mess soon.

Message 10 of 20
See Most Recent

Return Phone to Honkong

anita@ebay  marco@ebay  kat@ebay

Can anyone help this OP?

******************************************************************************************